It's Time to Toss the Season, Find the QB of the Future and Admit a Painful Truth | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Time to Toss the Season, Find the QB of the Future and Admit a Painful Truth

Blitz said:
As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in trying to win the rest of the season. Today was our last shot at the division (it's amazing that we were still in the race ten weeks into the year), but now we're as good as dead. There is no way we will make the playoffs. We might as well start our youngest players for the rest of the season, and see how they fare.

I also say it's time to finally admit a painful truth: This offseason we ought to trade Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, and Jason Taylor for draft picks, and truly rebuild. They're expensive veterans who will not be worth their cap number when this team finally rebuilds and is ready to contend for a Super Bowl championship. Perhaps Thomas, Madison, and Taylor will find the ring they deserve with another team that could really use them next year and in '07.

I also think we should emulate the Bengals by drafting USC's amazing QB, Matt Leinart, and having Jon Kitna, a very reliable veteran who can show Leinart the ins and outs of the NFL just like he showed Palmer, start for us next year.

If we finish with one of the very worst records in the league, we'll most likely be able to get Leinart. I think we're in great shape on offense two or three years from now with Leinart, Brown, McMichael, and an improved OL. Maybe Chambers will show us he's the real deal someday, too. If we draft Leinart, we can build the team around him and Ronnie Brown. I, for one, am very excited about the possibility.

Saban can, and obviously will, emulate Belichick and rebuild this defense through the draft and free agency over the next couple of offseasons. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

All in all, I think it's time to unload our overpaid JJ-era veterans, find our QB of the future, and truly rebuild. What do you guys think?

Not gonna happen, this team is going win 7 to 9 games and is not out of the race yet.

Gonk said:
We are a QB, WR and CB away from being a competitive team. We don't need to start the firesale quite yet.

You're living in WannyWorld......that was The 'Stache's Mantra.

This team needs to cleanse itself of ALL of the JJ/Wanny players, and start afresh. Face it....it didn't work, for whatever reason, JJ was not able to replicate his Dallas success, and he then of course The 'Stache came in and ruined it all.

WestVirginiaFan said:
We can get a decent WR maybe if we trade thomas or taylor..

Well, I would be on the phone to Philly offering them CC for TO. That right there would solve alot of problems. I dont care if TO is a cancer, I dont think he would be as bad this time around, and he certainly always catches the dman ball and scores from anywheres on the field.

ABrownLamp said:
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!

Hellz ya bro, you got me there.

You're right. They suck
It's time to trade Zack regardless of the fact that he is one of the leading tacklers in the league.
Also, Jason Taylor sucks too. I don't care that he still gets double teamed or that the rest of the NFL players regard him as one of the best DEs in the league...you definitely know better then them...

Right now we are NOT winning. To build for the future, it's necessary sometimes to make yourself worse to be better in the longrun. While I would hate to get rid of those guys, and I love their loyalty to the Fins, it may be necessary to get some value for them.

By trading them now, you may get two guys (maybe a 2nd & 3rd pick for each of them) and hit on both guys, or at least 1 of them, and that in turn would cut our payroll and allow us to get a mid-career guy that is a better value. Remember neither Jason or Zach was a 1st rounder...I believe Jason was a 3rd rounder, and Zach was a 5th rounder. If you get 2nd & 3rd picks for both of them, you've gotten good value for what you 1st paid for them.

AquaAssasin said:
Glad your not the GM, we would be in great cap space and loaded with young cheap unproven talent...

Way to go!

Will Zach Madison and Taylor be here in 3 or 4 years? NOOOO. So we should let them retire and get nothing in return? Glad you arent the GM:shakeno:

BlueFin said:
Not gonna happen, this team is going win 7 to 9 games and is not out of the race yet.

We have lost 5 out of 6.....and we are gonna go on a big time winning streak? :lol: We are going 6-10, maybe 5-11

finfan54 said:
Well, I would be on the phone to Philly offering them CC for TO. That right there would solve alot of problems. I dont care if TO is a cancer, I dont think he would be as bad this time around, and he certainly always catches the dman ball and scores from anywheres on the field.

If he thinks McNabb is bad, what trouble will he cause with Frerotte???

Soon after Sabans hiring, I predicted JT and ZT being traded. I can see this scenario unfolding, but we are better than I predicted. Our record at the end of this season might not be a lot better than last years, but I think most would agree that the Dolphins of 2005 are only a few BIG plays from being a 5 or 6 win team. In the NFL teams dont truely rebuild, it is more like refine or retool. A better QB, Will Poole, another draft/offseason, and 1 more year of Saban teaching his style might be all this team needs. If we purge this team of all JJ/Wanny players it will be a mistake.

Blitz said:
As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in trying to win the rest of the season. Today was our last shot at the division (it's amazing that we were still in the race ten weeks into the year), but now we're as good as dead. There is no way we will make the playoffs. We might as well start our youngest players for the rest of the season, and see how they fare.

I also say it's time to finally admit a painful truth: This offseason we ought to trade Zach Thomas, Sam Madison, and Jason Taylor for draft picks, and truly rebuild. They're expensive veterans who will not be worth their cap number when this team finally rebuilds and is ready to contend for a Super Bowl championship. Perhaps Thomas, Madison, and Taylor will find the ring they deserve with another team that could really use them next year and in '07.

I also think we should emulate the Bengals by drafting USC's amazing QB, Matt Leinart, and having Jon Kitna, a very reliable veteran who can show Leinart the ins and outs of the NFL just like he showed Palmer, start for us next year.

If we finish with one of the very worst records in the league, we'll most likely be able to get Leinart. I think we're in great shape on offense two or three years from now with Leinart, Brown, McMichael, and an improved OL. Maybe Chambers will show us he's the real deal someday, too. If we draft Leinart, we can build the team around him and Ronnie Brown. I, for one, am very excited about the possibility.

Saban can, and obviously will, emulate Belichick and rebuild this defense through the draft and free agency over the next couple of offseasons. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

All in all, I think it's time to unload our overpaid JJ-era veterans, find our QB of the future, and truly rebuild. What do you guys think?

Umm no way no how, and further we can't trade anyone right now the trade deadline has already passed.

And thank God our players and coaches have more backbone than fans like you!

Godzilla said:
Will Zach Madison and Taylor be here in 3 or 4 years? NOOOO. So we should let them retire and get nothing in return? Glad you arent the GM:shakeno:

Never said I was the GM nor did I even mention to trade top players, MORON!

Do you know if Taylor or Thomas will be here is the next 4 years? No! So dont say they wont because the truth of the matter is that we dont know anything so stop trying to conjure up ideas.

Let the coaches and GM do their jobs, obviously they have a better idea on what they want more than you do!

PS, dont bring Madison into the this converstion because all I am talking about is thomas and taylor!

BlueFin said:

We've lost five of our last six games...What in the world makes you think we can possibly win 6 of our last 7 games, and possibly win the division? We're out of the division race. Unless Brady goes down for the season within the next week or two, there's no way the Patriots are going to finish worse than 9-7 (And the odds of them finishing 9-7 with a 3-3 division record are even slimmer), and there's no way we're going to win 6 of our last 7 games including all of our final division games, let alone the season finale at Foxboro.

We haven't been mathematically eliminated, but we were all but eliminated in the real world yesterday.

I'm with Blitz here.. this team needs a mineral oil enema and some healthier eating habits... If it means tank the season or be constipated for the rest of you're life, I'll just take the former.

ohall said:
further we can't trade anyone right now the trade deadline has already passed.

Thanks for pointing out something that everybody in here knows. I never said let's trade ZT, JT, and Madison tomorrow. I said we should trade them this upcoming offseason.

And thank God our players and coaches have more backbone than fans like you!

I'm glad you'd rather see us win 1-3 more games (a losing record is a losing record, as far as I'm concerned) and end up in a worse draft position than simply tossing the season, which would put us in a great position in next year's draft. I want Matt Leinart, damn it.

AquaAssasin said:
Never said I was the GM nor did I even mention to trade top players, MORON!

Do you know if Taylor or Thomas will be here is the next 4 years? No! So dont say they wont because the truth of the matter is that we dont know anything so stop trying to conjure up ideas.

Do you think Taylor and Thomas are going to find the Fountain of Youth or something? Even if they're still in the league four years from now, they won't be anywhere near as good as they were in their prime. They're not getting any younger.

Beachbum said:
You're living in WannyWorld......that was The 'Stache's Mantra.

Too many people are still living in WannyWorld circa 2003.

Folks, we're 7-18 since the start of 2004. We're not "close" to making a run for the Super Bowl. We're not missing just two or three "pieces of the puzzle." No, we're two or three more offseasons of rebuilding away from making a REAL run for the Super Bowl. And three or four more years from now, when we're finally real contenders again, ZT, JT, and Madison will either be in the twilight of their careers or retired.

This team needs to cleanse itself of ALL of the JJ/Wanny players, and start afresh. Face it....it didn't work, for whatever reason, JJ was not able to replicate his Dallas success, and he then of course The 'Stache came in and ruined it all.

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of all of the players Wanny drafted because some of them are still fairly young and may prove to be quality starters/backups (i.e., Chambers, Carey, Poole, Moore, Smith, etc.). And obviously we gotta keep McMichael, Wanny's best pick and one of the better TEs in the league. I'm probably foolish to still have hope that Moore and Smith will blossom into quality players, but oh well...

Anyway, yeah, we need to bring a close to the JJ-era. And we probably ought to get rid of some of the players Wanny drafted fairly recently who don't look like NFL material.

It's definitely time for a fresh start.

Back
Top Bottom