It's Time to Toss the Season, Find the QB of the Future and Admit a Painful Truth | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It's Time to Toss the Season, Find the QB of the Future and Admit a Painful Truth

I hate that mentality. Well, at the begining of last year no one thought we would go to the superbowl, why not throw every game. Have some amount of pride

Goober Bot said:
People like you are DISGUSTING, there's no way in hell you're a true Miami Dolphins fan,

I apologize for not being "the world's biggest Zach Thomas fan," as you claim to be. Yes, I am a fan of the Miami Dolphins and have been a fan since your earliest years on this planet.

you play to win the game.

We're 3-6. At best, we'll finish 7-9 or 8-8. I'd rather finish 3-13 or 4-12 and end up with one of the best draft positions than to go .500 for the umpteenth time. We need to find our QB of the future, and I strongly believe Matt Leinart is the man for the job. We're not going to get a shot at Leinart unless we basically lose from here on out. In the short-term, losing from here on out would suck. In the short-term, trading Madison, Taylor, and Thomas for draft picks would suck. But it would all prove to be worth it when we're ready to make a real run for the championship. Losing from here on out by giving our younger players a ton of playing time for the rest of the year, and trading our JJ-era superstars will make us better in the long run.

We've clung to Madison, Taylor and Thomas for far too long. How many division titles have we won with them? How many playoff games have we won with them? How many clutch plays have they made in must-win games over the past half decade? And how many times over the past seven years have we heard that we are only a few pieces away from a Super Bowl run? They're not getting younger, and we could certainly use some more draft picks.

Their time has passed in Miami. It's time to move on and finally rebuild this squad. This team ought to be Saban's team, not the team of veterans from the failed JJ-era.

Blitz said:
And since they became the heart and soul of this team, way back in the late 1990s, how many division titles have we won? How many playoff games have we won?

Their time has passed. It's time for a completely fresh start :(

I feel it's time for new leadership, not necessarily starting without Taylor and Thomas because they can still play. In a trade Taylor would have high value if you're a team in the market for a pass rusher. Thomas would require a team to adjust it's defense, that's not likely to happen so I'd say he has little value.

I figure once we have a real quarterback, someone who's the franchise, things will change in Miami.

Goober Bot said:
Oh man, I am soo sorry, I don't know why I thought that fans were supposed to have faith in their teams and want them to win, how stupid of me for not seeing that once you're a whole TWO games under .500 that you should throw it all away, I mean we're FINISHED, there's no hope left with a HORRIBLE record like 3-5, thank you so much for kindly pointing this out for me, I don't know what I would have done without the help of a "true" fan such as yourself. Thanks again traitor :tsk:

We're 3-6, not 3-5. We have twice as many losses as wins. The team blew its chance at winning the division today. We can probably do no better than 7-9 or 8-8, and who the hell cares if we finish like that for the umpteenth time? I'd rather give our younger players some playing time to see what they can do, finish with a top draft pick and be in good position in all of the rounds.

Blitz said:
I apologize for not being "the world's biggest Zach Thomas fan," as you claim to be. Yes, I am a fan of the Miami Dolphins and have been a fan since your earliest years on this planet.

We're 3-6. At best, we'll finish 7-9 or 8-8. I'd rather finish 3-13 or 4-12 and end up with one of the best draft positions than to go .500 for the umpteenth time. We need to find our QB of the future, and I strongly believe Matt Leinart is the man for the job. We're not going to get a shot at Leinart unless we basically lose from here on out. In the short-term, losing from here on out would suck. In the short-term, trading Madison, Taylor, and Thomas for draft picks would suck. But it would all prove to be worth it when we're ready to make a real run for the championship. Losing from here on out by giving our younger players a ton of playing time for the rest of the year, and trading our JJ-era superstars will make us better in the long run.

We've clung to Madison, Taylor and Thomas for far too long. How many division titles have we won with them? How many playoff games have we won with them? How many clutch plays have they made in must-win games over the past half decade? And how many times over the past seven years have we heard that we are only a few pieces away from a Super Bowl run? They're not getting younger, and we could certainly use some more draft picks.

Their time has passed in Miami. It's time to move on and finally rebuild this squad. This team ought to be Saban's team, not the team of veterans from the failed JJ-era.

its a team sport so they are not going to win anything for us. In case you forgot, football is the ultimate team sport. You cant win unless everyone is on the same page. Their time hasnt passed, excpet madison. This team can and will win with Zach and Taylor...

PerfectFinz72 said:
I think we're very competitive, but missing the players necessary to be a 6-3 team as opposed to a 3-6 team.

Do you really think Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor and Sam Madison are going to be above average players three years from now when we're ready to make a real run for the championship? Do you really think they'll still be worth their incredible cap number?

Blitz said:

So get rid of our veterans who consistently produce each year? What kind of thought process is going on there? Just bring in a whole bunch of untested rookies to fill their void?
Dude, we weren't going to win the Superbowl, so with your logic why even go to the playoffs? We'll just end up with a 20 something 1st round draft pick.

Blitz said:
Do you really think Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor and Sam Madison are going to be above average players three years from now when we're ready to make a real run for the championship? Do you really think they'll still be worth their incredible cap number?

That's when we think about cutting them. 3 years from now when they have a replacement. What are we going to do get someone in the 4th round in the draft to take JTs place? What if he ends up sucking?

outlawd2u said:
Trade Thomas, Taylor, and Madison huh???? You would NEVER get fair trade value for any of these guys,

I think we could get a late first-round pick for Taylor (definitely a second-round pick), perhaps a late second-round pick for Thomas (probably a third-rounder, though), and a third-round pick for Madison (There's bound to be a Super Bowl contender willing to give up a late third-round pick for him). That would give us six picks on the first day of the draft. Imagine the possibilities. Keep in mind that none of them were drafted in the first-round. What makes you think Mueller and Saban cannot find gems in the draft like JJ did with Thomas (5th round), Madison (2nd round), and Taylor (3rd round)? And remember how much better the three of them were early on in their careers when they were truly hungry and eager to prove themselves? If Mueller and Saban can't find gems like that, it doesn't matter if we keep Madison, Taylor, and Thomas or not because we're not going to make a run for the Super Bowl unless Saban is able to do a good job in the draft. I have faith in Saban, though. I think that Saban is going to build a championship caliber team through the draft.

Besides we could try and try and try and it's possible we will never find anyone as good as either Thomas or Taylor, both of them have a few good years left and this team will be shaping up before their time is up.

Thomas is going to 33 years old next year. Name the good MLBs in the league who are 34-36 years old.

Taylor is past his prime. He's going to be 32 years old next year. Name the good DEs in the league who are 33-35 years old. I think he has a few good seasons left (more than Madison and Thomas), but it's all downhill from here. He definitely won't be worth his current cap number in two more years.

Madison is way past his prime. He's going to be 32 years old next year. He's not worth his cap number, and certainly won't be worth it in two more years.

And will somebody please answer my questions about how many division titles we've won with these guys, how many clutch plays they've made in must-win games, how many playoff games we've won with them, etc.

I used to love all of them, including Patrick Surtain, and used to think that they would lead us to the promised land. I no longer feel that way.

This ought to be Saban's team, not the team of veterans from the failed JJ-era.
It's time for a fresh start.

AquaAssasin said:
You tell me, reggie white, charles haley still were dominate in the later years of their career. You dont trade guys like him or release him.. Who do you suppose we get...Guys like JT dont come around often..Its hard to find a DE that can play DE and LB..

None of them are going to be around much longer whether or not we trade them. We might as well trade them and get some young players who will hopefully bloom into quality starters and fill the void for the next 7-10 seasons.

CalDolFan10x14 said:
I'm just tired of seeing this team lose week in and week out. Give me wins, not better draft picks!!!

I'm sick and tired of hearing about how we're "close" to the Super Bowl year in and year out. And I'm sick and tired of hearing about how a mediocre QB like Gus Frerotte or Jay Fiedler can lead us to the Super Bowl. We need a real QB of the future. We need somebody like Matt Leinart, one of the best QB prospects since the class of '83 (Marino/Elway/Kelly). This guy is going to be GREAT. One 3-13 season is worth it if it means a plethora of 13-3 seasons down the road with Matt Leinart & Ronnie Brown leading the way.

I can't stress enough that this team isn't going to make a real run for the Super Bowl until two or three more offseasons of rebuilding. By that time, ZT, JT, and Madison will be in the twilight of their careers, if not retired.

And will somebody please answer my questions about how many division titles we've won with these guys, how many clutch plays they've made in must-win games, how many playoff games we've won with them, etc.

I'll answer them for ya bro, since we're the only ones seemingly on the same page:

Division titles: 1
Clutch plays in big games: that would be a big fat 0.
Playoff games won: 3

Sad.

FireWrongstedt said:
I'll answer them for ya bro, since we're the only ones seemingly on the same page:

Division titles: 1
Clutch plays in big games: that would be a big fat 0.
Playoff games won: 3

Sad.

Thank you very much. And two of those playoff wins were over half a decade ago (January 2, 1999 & January 9, 2000, which was followed by a record-breaking 62-7 defeat in Jacksonville - Great defensive day from Madison, Taylor and Thomas). Hell, it's been almost half a decade since we won the division. It is all very sad, and I'm sick of thinking we're going to make it to the promised land with these guys. It's just not going to happen.

Blitz said:
Thank you very much. And two of those playoff wins were over half a decade ago (January 2nd, 1999 & January 9, 2000, which was followed by a record-breaking 62-7 defeat in Jacksonville - Great defensive day from Madison, Taylor and Thomas). Hell, it's been almost half a decade since we won the division. It is all very sad, and I'm sick of thinking we're going to make it to the promised land with these guys. It's just not going to happen.

You may get your wish next season. I dont think Saban is going to keep madison after this season. he can still play ok but he's a press corner who is ill suited to zone cover schemes. I feel Thomas will be gone next year also for the reasons you cited in earlier posts. Taylor I think is going to stick with the team however. I don't see Saban getting rid of him

tommybobommy said:
Well guess what ? The fins arent gonna trade thomas or taylor.

Also newsflash

No one agrees with you

Wrong. Read the posts. I would be willing to part with them. They are getting older and wont be around forever. I mean Zach Thomas is not a difference maker on defense anymore. He can be replaced. Madison needs to go. Not sure about Taylor. The guy can still bring it. But the NFL is a business. Times are a changin'

Back
Top Bottom