Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta"

or the situation of having three major accomplishments or achievements. I would say acquiring those three guys are a great accomplishment for this organization.

"Three major achievements" or in other words "three great events?"

Trifecta has a couple of meanings. The two most common are a bet on a horserace and a run of three wins or great events.

But you are right. Acquiring Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano was great for this organization. However I still think of placing a bet on a horserace whenever I read the word "trifecta."

Really, triumverate just sounds cooler to me.

"Three major achievements" or in other words "three great events?"

But you are right. Acquiring Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano was great for this organization. However I still think of placing a bet on a horserace whenever I read the word "trifecta."
or it can also refer to a sequence of three occurences. but to each his own.

or it can also refer to a sequence of three occurences. but to each his own.

Allow me to amend my earlier post.

The second most common use of the word "trifecta" is a run of three achievements or occurrences. There. Now we have that squared away. :up:

Triumvirate - (in ancient Rome) a group of three men holding power, in particular (the First Triumvirate) the unofficial coalition of Julius Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus in 60 BC and (the Second Triumvirate) a coalition formed by Antony, Lepidus, and Octavian in 43 BC.

Trifecta - a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.

Just a little pet peeve of mine. ;)
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner:clap:

Triumvirate does sounds better to be honest. But really, you know it's going to be a long offseason when were debating stuff like this.

or the situation of having three major accomplishments or achievements. I would say acquiring those three guys are a great accomplishment for this organization.

Exactly. If someone were to refer to the acquisition of the three as a "trifecta" then that would be correct usage. However, the group cannot be referred to as a trifecta.

To each their own I guess.

Triumvirate - (in ancient Rome) a group of three men holding power, in particular (the First Triumvirate) the unofficial coalition of Julius Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus in 60 BC and (the Second Triumvirate) a coalition formed by Antony, Lepidus, and Octavian in 43 BC.

Trifecta - a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.

Just a little pet peeve of mine. ;)

ahhh whatever, I still like trifecta

The only reason why we have a trifecta instead of a triumvirate is that our holy threesome do not hold the same amount of power... hell, I would've forgot Jeff Ireland was part of the FO during the season if he didn't talk about how much he liked the players we were going to cut a few days later. (Whew! That was a long sentence)

Technically the 2nd Triumvirate wasn't really a "triumvirate", Lepidus was kind of a throw-in to the deal, and held little to no power at all.

MY pet peeve is the grammar police. Especially when the point is clear and not worth making a raucous over.

I prefer Troika. It is shorter and quicker to type. :)

Or...

The Three Musketeers. ;)

Back
Top Bottom