Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Its "triumvirate" NOT "trifecta"

Expert: - 9/7/2004

Question
Why do they call Bill Parcells "Tuna"?

Answer
Mike,

Hi. I appreciate the question. Why do they call Bill Parcells "The Tuna?" Well, I'll let Parcells explain it in his own words which are taken from a 1997 press conference:

"I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started."

Hope this helps you. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.
Expert: - 2/18/2010

Question
Why do they call Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Tony Sparano the "Trifecta"?

Answer
Mike,

Well, back when Parcells brought all his people in the the Dolphins organization the media first nicknamed these three figureheads of the coming Dolphins organization as the "Trifecta" for the obvious reason that there was three people that would usher in a new era of Dolphins football. And please let it be known that this is just a nickname, just like when you would give someone the nickname of Little Nicky when they are really fat. But I guess the grammer police never looked up the meaning of a nickname.

one thing is for sure......dolfans are reeling for entertainment so far this offseason.....

Technically the 2nd Triumvirate wasn't really a "triumvirate", Lepidus was kind of a throw-in to the deal, and held little to no power at all.
You're right. The first Triumvirate was much more awesome. Too bad Crassus' greed got the best of him.

do not think people care what name they have as longas they win a super bowl

It's simply a term that found it's way into common useage.

I'd suggest that if it botyhers you, you should get out more :)

Expert: - 9/7/2004

Question
Why do they call Bill Parcells "Tuna"?

Answer
Mike,

Hi. I appreciate the question. Why do they call Bill Parcells "The Tuna?" Well, I'll let Parcells explain it in his own words which are taken from a 1997 press conference:

"I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started."

Hope this helps you. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

Excerpt not Expert, sorry I could not resist. Oh and by the way when something or somemone fails it founders not flounders. I hear so many "Collage Grajiates" on TV and in print saying "yes that team really is floundering". Holy Moly

The Never Floundering VIPER

Who cares?!?

Do I really want to read "triumvirate" in the newspaper when refering to trifecta? No. I like trifecta and I am going to use trifecta. I know what that means and the whole world knows what it is.

My turn:
Since it is a nickname (as already mentioned) it doesn't matter what the literal meaning may or may not be. When you refer to Trifecta in the NFL, you immediately think of Parcells, Sporano and Ireland. Sure it may not make as much sense or may not be an accurate reference - but it is an accepted nickname by the majority of fans/players/coaches/media.

Trifecta - 2: banging three sisters.

I like this, although technically, it doesn't matter who comes first!!:hump:

Expert: - 2/18/2010

Question
Why do they call Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Tony Sparano the "Trifecta"?

Answer
Mike,

Well, back when Parcells brought all his people in the the Dolphins organization the media first nicknamed these three figureheads of the coming Dolphins organization as the "Trifecta" for the obvious reason that there was three people that would usher in a new era of Dolphins football. And please let it be known that this is just a nickname, just like when you would give someone the nickname of Little Nicky when they are really fat. But I guess the grammer police never looked up the meaning of a nickname.

Priceless you couldn't have picked a better nickname when quoting me. I'm not fat but there are four Nick's in my family and I was the third hence I was Little Nicky. :lol:

Excerpt not Expert, sorry I could not resist. Oh and by the way when something or somemone fails it founders not flounders. I hear so many "Collage Grajiates" on TV and in print saying "yes that team really is floundering". Holy Moly

The Never Floundering VIPER

It is not Excerpt in this context but thank you for trying to fix it. It was from a radio show called ask the "Expert" or something like that. Which aired on, ding ding ding, you guessed it 9/7/2004 in which case it was a title and not an excerpt although technically it was an excerpt as well so in this case either is correct.

Thank you for playing though.

Note: I looked for the link to the site again and I can not find it for the life of me.

so your telling me all along the "3 blind mice" were a triumvirate? I knew it

trifecta is from two words tri meaning three and perfecta = trifecta - 'The situation of having three major accomplishment, accomplishment or acheivment'.

Thus, as stated previously it is an 'accomplishment, accomplishment or acheivment' to have hired the three of Parcells, Ireland and Sparano!

In addition, 'To decide which words to include in the dictionary and to determine what they mean, editors study the language as it's used. They carefully monitor which words people use most often and how they use them'.

Thus, to take this literally, I would conclude that at this moment in time, most people use the term 'trifecta' to define the three leaders of the Dolphins regime, Parcells, Ireland and Sparano!

As is in life words, terms and definitions progress past the times of the roman empire!

In your world football would still be played without the forward pass.........so why not call it rugby!

Back
Top Bottom