Jaelan Phillips vs Falcons | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelan Phillips vs Falcons

He didn’t play much and seemed to be rotating in and out every other play. He sets a really strong edge vs the run and while I wish he had more pass rushing opportunities the short video below shows slot of promise.

Agreed can set the EDGE, what I saw however was a guy whos head is swimming due to the positional change. This will be a work in progress......

I agree it seems natural how strong he sets the edge
If you go back to his tape with the Canes, he shows a lot of skill in run D.

He's going to have to work on hands technique to be able to "shed", but his instincts are top shelf, IMO.

Agreed can set the EDGE, what I saw however was a guy whos head is swimming due to the positional change. This will be a work in progress......

If he was showing anything like that I'd attribute it more to the fact it was his first NFL action. He looked comfortable out there to me.

Looks like they game him a variety of opportunities - run, pass rush, coverage. Didn't look overwhelmed in any of them. Now he mostly needs experience.
The Falcons didn't pass a whole lot after their initial few drives, so there were only a couple opportunities for 1v1 pass rush.

I think we will take our time integrating him into the defense, situational packsges, etc.

We have a lot of guys up front to spread the snaps around. They all have their roles, and are solid. I hope by the end of the season, Phillips is getting just as many snaps as the other guys. Obviously, guys like Bake, Wilkins, Davis are going to head up the snap count list.

He didn’t play much and seemed to be rotating in and out every other play. He sets a really strong edge vs the run and while I wish he had more pass rushing opportunities the short video below shows slot of promise.

Nice! Thanks for posting that. I am not sure what his injury was, but I support bringing him along slowly. We have what, 3 weeks to go before playing the Pats? He has some time yet to round into shape.

I didn't see anything from him yet to get too excited about, hopefully we see splash plays soon 👍
We should probably give the kid a little time to learn, and become fundamentally sound in a very complex, moving parts defense, where he will be asked to play a hybrid position.

A one trick pony pass rusher would actually be a liability in this defense from a scheme flexibility standpoint.

That said, I think this kid has all the tools to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom