Jaelan Phillips vs Falcons | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelan Phillips vs Falcons

I didn't see anything from him yet to get too excited about, hopefully we see splash plays soon 👍

I realize we drafted him to get to the QB, but I will guess and say job #1 for any of our DEs and/or LBs who play that spot is to set the edge. I am with you and would love to see more. However, it may be a bit because he hasn't exactly had a lot of playing time. :-)

If he was showing anything like that I'd attribute it more to the fact it was his first NFL action. He looked comfortable out there to me.
Perhaps, but when I looked at the film I would have at least liked to see him shed the blockers a bit more efficiently. I assumed he was locking them up to "read" the situation rather than flowing to it as someone who is comfortable in the position would do.

Good job setting the edge, great pursuit and very disciplined went he is the mesh point for RPO. That’s a undervalued thing for young guys, you be hyper aggressive and attack you get gashed with the pass, but stay disciplined and you see what happens 3-4 yard plays which you can totally live with.

A bit robotic with some of his technique, but being the crazy athlete he is the fluidity will come with reps and time.

Hell of a first game for the young man, stats won’t show but lack of mistakes is critical.

Perhaps, but when I looked at the film I would have at least liked to see him shed the blockers a bit more efficiently. I assumed he was locking them up to "read" the situation rather than flowing to it as someone who is comfortable in the position would do.

I think you have it. He needs time to get comfortable

Two things that jumped out were his physicality and effort.

He looks a lot more massive than I realized. Knew he was a big dude but damn he almost looks like a DT out there who can also run.

Two things that jumped out were his physicality and effort.

He looks a lot more massive than I realized. Knew he was a big dude but damn he almost looks like a DT out there who can also run.

Yeah that surprised me as well and @circumstances is going to enjoy this. But he’s a lot THICKER than I expected. I expected a slimmer type of DE.

Im going to get you one of those squishy rubber ball things to help relieve stress and built up energy man. You need a healthy outlet and I’m afraid these threads aren’t enough.
thank you.

they are not.

No big plays, but he collapsed and held the edge very well and prevented any bounce outs and had pretty good pursuit...he did his job. I would like to see him hold his edge and have the ability to toss his man and jump gaps as the RB makes his move. That will come with time.

Back
Top Bottom