Jaelan Phillips | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jaelan Phillips

Is Parsons so good? He has 10 sacks in 695 snaps. Phillips has 8.5 in under 500 snaps. I don’t have specific pass rush stats. But I would expect Parsons to have more opportunities since the Cowboys were basically playing him as a DE due to injury.
Parsons is a stud. His only drawback was character issues, with the hazing at Penn State.

Is Parsons so good? He has 10 sacks in 695 snaps. Phillips has 8.5 in under 500 snaps. I don’t have specific pass rush stats. But I would expect Parsons to have more opportunities since the Cowboys were basically playing him as a DE due to injury.
He has only recently been asked to predominantly rush the passer.

He was playing backer before that....

So that will skew the numbers back in balance imo.

If you compare them at similar points in their careers (the reasonable way to make comparisons), Phillips is way ahead of where Taylor was as a rookie. Taylor came in as a far more raw prospect. I can't say that Phillips is as athletic as Taylor was. I don't think that Phillips has as high of a ceiling as an all-around player, but Phillips has incredible potential as a DE.
Fair enough, Phillips was a first rounder while Taylor was a mid-rounder. He should have been more ready to contribute early than JT.

Parsons is a stud. His only drawback was character issues, with the hazing at Penn State.
I’m not saying he’s not. I’m just saying that we might have the better player and Phillips should definitely get DROTY consideration over Parsons.

He was 36th on the big board, FWIW.

View attachment 89359
View attachment 89360

Hopefully the concussion history was somewhat overblown.
He was forced to retire at UCLA because the school had a policy that a player could no longer play on the team once they suffered 2 concussions. He didn’t want to retire from the game but he could no longer play at UCLA because of the school policy.

Once he transferred to UM, he had no further injuries and his previous concussions were not an issue. Obviously there is always a concern about concussions to a player who has a history of concussions but the Dolphins felt he was worth the risk and so far
his minor injuries have not been concussion related.

I’m glad the Dolphins selected him when they did. Because there is absolutely no way he would still been on the board when they had their 2nd round pick.

I’m not saying he’s not. I’m just saying that we might have the better player and Phillips should definitely get DROTY consideration over Parsons.
I disagree.

Parsons has been a true difference maker since the get go.

While Phillips has been really coming on late, not the same initial impact.

Phillips has the better long term sack production outlook though.

I disagree.

Parsons has been a true difference maker since the get go.

While Phillips has been really coming on late, not the same initial impact.

Phillips has the better long term sack production outlook though.
I didn’t realize that voting already took place. My mistake.

Fair enough, Phillips was a first rounder while Taylor was a mid-rounder. He should have been more ready to contribute early than JT.
Taylor was a mid round pick simply because he played at a lower level college. Yet Taylor played 44 games at Akron. Phillips only played 20 games between UM and UCLA.

So based on their playing experience prior to entering the NFL. Taylor actually was better prepared to play in the NFL than Phillips was. Where a player is drafted certainly doesn’t mean they are more prepared to contribute than another player who was drafted later or not drafted at all.

Because if where a player was drafted was the main criteria, Iggy and Jackson would be much better players than the players drafted later than they were and that just isn’t the case.

I didn’t realize that voting already took place. My mistake.
It didn't.

But one player has put in 13 sound games and the other has put in 6.

One player has played multiple positions at a high level while being the focal point of a completely rebuilt defense in a massive market and the other has sacked Cam Netwon and Mike Glennon a few times.

I'm a dolphins fan and a massive Phillips supporter, had his back all season.

I'm also a realist and not biased

Parsons will be your DPOY unless we run the table and Phillips has 2 sacks a game.....

It didn't.

But one player has put in 13 sound games and the other has put in 6.

One player has played multiple positions at a high level while being the focal point of a completely rebuilt defense in a massive market and the other has sacked Cam Netwon and Mike Glennon a few times.

I'm a dolphins fan and a massive Phillips supporter, had his back all season.

I'm also a realist and not biased

Parsons will be your DPOY unless we run the table and Phillips has 2 sacks a game.....
Phillips had 3 sacks in 28 snaps last week. Parsons averages 50 per game and Phillips averages 30. If he overtakes Parsons while the Dolphins defense is playing better than any other defense in the league, I think that could be enough to win it. And I’m pretty sure he’ll have opportunities against the Jets, Saints, Titans and Pats for a couple of multi sack games. I think some strip sacks or a defensive TD could get him there. But probably only if we win out. Otherwise no one will care.

Phillips had 3 sacks in 28 snaps last week. Parsons averages 50 per game and Phillips averages 30. If he overtakes Parsons while the Dolphins defense is playing better than any other defense in the league, I think that could be enough to win it. And I’m pretty sure he’ll have opportunities against the Jets, Saints, Titans and Pats for a couple of multi sack games. I think some strip sacks or a defensive TD could get him there. But probably only if we win out. Otherwise no one will care.
Right now it seems it is a 3 man race between Phillips, Surtain, and Parsons. Phillips IMO is the low man on the totem pole. But 4-5 more
games to play is a lot more ball. Anything can happen.

run the table and Phillips has 2 sacks a game.....
Ok then lets get it done...
Flirty Hello GIF

I posted this on Nov 14th:

Granted, the DROY talk won't happen yet, because Parsons is so good, and Grier didn't take my advice and draft him.

Oh he gonna eat against the Jests for sure, watching catch up and then pass Parsons. What a hit with this kid for Grier lol. What a beast !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom