jake long is not joe thomas | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

jake long is not joe thomas

That is maybe the smartest thing I have seen in the draft forum this year. Kudos man, you got a rare thanks from me.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see on draft day how people react to our pick once it is made . . . whether or not we will come together behind one guy. I dont think it will happen. Personally, while I think Jake Long should be the pick, I think Chris Long is just as good as Jake and that both will be amazing players. Heck I won't even be upset with Gholston or Dorsey even though I think they will both be busts (Dorsey because of our system). About the only player I would be upset with would be Matt Ryan.

The bottom line is that the above poster is right, if you take Jake Long you free yourself up to take an Antoine Cason at 32 and then a Curtis Lofton with your second second rounder (three starters NEXT year).

I've also tried to make it clear that I'm a big fan of C.Long and if that's the direction we go great, he'll be a great leader and he'll be fun to watch on Sunday's. I just think J.Long gives us a better overall draft when we select other players because of BPA not need.

I also think trading down makes a great deal of sense but I don't think anyone will pay the price to move up, our late 2nd maybe 3rd have a better chance of being moved for more picks.

are you trying to say a 40 time is more important for a lineman? you can have that club, dude. I'll take the OT who is quicker in small spaces.

How on earth did you read my post and come to THAT conclusion?

How on earth did you read my post and come to THAT conclusion?

your post was very hard to understand. it seemed that you were trying to say that 40 times were important or 'pivotal' as you said. I wasn't sure if you were sarcastic or not- that's why I asked. maybe you could try more puncuation next time.

He can't handle speed, Gholston tore him up in their final regular season game.
yep gholston tore him up so bad .......he had one sack on jake the only sack jake gave up from sophmore to senior so dont speak unless u have knowledge

I have heard some people on NFL Network say Jake Long is probably going to be better than J. Thomas. Even V. Carey had a better year than J. Thomas at left tackle and Carey didn't have as many other good lineman with him to help him out.

Jake Long does not have to be Joe Thomas. We just need him to clear the way for Ronnie Brown, and keep whatever quarterback the Dolphins choose to play on his or her feet. I think he can do this.

your post was very hard to understand. it seemed that you were trying to say that 40 times were important or 'pivotal' as you said. I wasn't sure if you were sarcastic or not- that's why I asked. maybe you could try more puncuation next time.

I used punctuation. And what does that have to do with you missing my glaring sarcasm?

The sentence at the very end made it so painfully clear that I'm honestly at a loss for words. Then, to top it all off, you try to push it back on ME, with a false claim that I lacked proper grammar (all while misspelling punctuation.. thats a tad bit ironic) Bravo, sir.

So your telling me Joe Thomas didnt have any of these questions about him before the draft?

your right .. and heres the proof

Strengths: Jake Long is one of the better offensive tackle prospects in some time…Long can step in and play left tackle immediately…extremely strong…has an excellent pedigree, and has several years of experience against top competition…ideal frame…plays with an aggressiveness that GMs and scouts like to see …Jake Long is as adapt at run blocking just as he is as pass blocking…a determined player who works to finish every play
Weaknesses: Jake Long has had some difficulties at times with off the edge speed rushers…Vernon Gholston may have highlighted some chinks in Jake Long’s armor when he racked up 3 sacks against him in the last regular season game…will have to refine his technique to be a dominant force at the next level…is such a large athlete that it is imperative for him to improve his footwork…the defensive ends in the National Football League get off the line of scrimmage with a burst that many rookies are not prepared for, so Long must work on his quickness in order for the speed rushers not to get the corner on him…

Overall:
Jake Long is one of the elite talents in the 2008 NFL Draft. Prototypical left tackles are such a coveted commodity in the NFL Draft, so it would be very unlikely for Jake Long to slip outside of the top five selections overall. Long is an aggressive, mean player with terrific natural strength. He should be able to transition to the NFL level as a left tackle, but he is not quite the natural athlete some teams seek. However, the same criticism was leveled at Joe Thomas, and we all saw how that worked out.

That's the thing that really scares me about Jake Long. I think he will be a great, perennial pro-bowl Tackle. But I also have that uneasy feeling that he might be, like you said, the next Robert Gallery. Or worse yet, the next Tony Mandarich.
Nah! You can tell when you listen to him speak that J. Long has a more personality and character than Gallery. Gallery always seemed a little out there, like he was 1 prize short of a happy meal or something. Those things can separate great players from others.

I have heard some people on NFL Network say Jake Long is probably going to be better than J. Thomas. Even V. Carey had a better year than J. Thomas at left tackle and Carey didn't have as many other good lineman with him to help him out.

Even Vernon Carey had a better year than Joe Thomas? What?

Im glad someone else caught that.

On what planet did Vernon Carey have a better year than Joe Thomas at LT?

No dude don't you get it he can't run 40 yards faster than Joe Thomas its very pivotal.

Maybe this guy and the guy who thinks Chris Long's 40 yard dash time means he wont be a great OLB should get together and start a club

if you think that you don't need punctuation here, I don't know what else there is to say

i have one thing to say about the fact that jake long isnt joe thomas, and it is that matt ryan isnt tom brady and chris long isnt merriman. do i no if that is true, yes, cna they become comperable players sure, but so can jake long, threat means nothing. sometimes you arent given the best player in the nfl in any given years draft doesnt mean they wont be very good or help out ur ball club

he is better that is why he won olinemen of the year in the Big Ten two years ago while Joe Thomas was a senior and would have been ranked higher in the draft that year

Foxsports did a study on LT and Carey only allowed 1 sack and had fewer penalties than Thomas. It's to bad Carey didn't get the recognition because the team stunked.

Back
Top Bottom