Jakeem Grant a wasted extension | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jakeem Grant a wasted extension

Sure I'll defend it. It goes like this. Miami has an historically awful o-line. They've played three almost certain playoff teams, two of which may meet in the Superbowl. His full body of work shows he can be a versatile threat, in the run, pass and special teams. Three games against teams with far superior talent do not make a career. His cap hit is very modest and he could be cut without any significant implications, particularly since this team may have as much as $150 million in cap space next year. Let the year play out. If the line could ever get to just below average, you might see those explosive plays again.

He’s been with us for three years, when is he going to show us??? I see nothing but drops. He can run but not much else. This is football not a track meet

Seriously stop stressing the extension as “good or bad” . . .it is irrelevant.

Just to show how irrelevant this extension was . . . .they basically gave him a $3 million shot in 2019 to see if he could revert back to some of the game breaking ability he showed before getting hurt in 2018 and get that type of player at a discount. That is all they have invested.

Instead of 4/2.5, its 4/5.5 . . . .and they can easily opt out in 2020 before any extra funds get added to it. The stressing about being “right or wrong” about the deal just makes little sense, it was a calculated gamble on a popular player both on the field and in the community, one that arguably has provided us the most explosive plays from any offensive/special teams player since 2016.

Calm down, the deal was not a mistake, not the way its structured.
Even with the new contract he is only making $1.4 Mill this year. If we cut him next year or trade him it is only a couple millions. It is a very team friendly contract.
But you know how it goes. If we would have not extended him and let him go the same people bitching about his contract now would be screaming: IT'S A PURGE. IT'S A PURGE. WE ARE TANKING.
Pretty much like they do with any other overpaid and under performing player we have let go. :lol:

His deal is basically 1+1+1+... deal.

He only got 3 million in signing bonus. He could be cut any year and his dead cap is almost nothing.

Whiff

Glorified returner and gimmick wr that plays tiny that doesn’t you know...catch the damn ball

Dump this offseason

These are the kind of front office decisions that scare the crap out of me when it comes to coming free agency and existing roster personnel handling.

What’s next Jerome baker extended? The guy who doesn’t make a play period til 9 minutes are left in a game that is already well decided.

These are the kind of front office decisions that scare the crap out of me when it comes to coming free agency and existing roster personnel handling.

What’s next Jerome baker extended? The guy who doesn’t make a play period til 9 minutes are left in a game that is already well decided.

Been trying to tell the Baker believers from the beginning - a guy like that is about the 6th best player on your defense if you’re competing for something.

It should be easy to find players in the draft better than Grant. He's nothing special.

Chris Grier must have been smiling ear to ear giving Grant a contract extension.

It should be easy to find players in the draft better than Grant. He's nothing special.

Chris Grier must have been smiling ear to ear giving Grant a contract extension.
You must be BS*** me he is one of the most elusive and explosive players in the league, You guys go way to overboard off one game in a terrible offense..

He's always been more hype than production. He'll run one back to the house and everyone thinks he's great for it but he's just a jag

You must be BS*** me he is one of the most elusive and explosive players in the league, You guys go way to overboard off one game in a terrible offense..

Dude it hasn't only been 2 games, he's been here 4 years. To put it into perspective in 4 years here Grant has 2 games in which he exceeded 50 yards receiving while Preston Williams in 3 career games has 2 games in which he exceeded 50 yards receiving.

In 4 years here Grant has 5 plays of 20+ yards on offense while Albert Wilson in 2018 alone had 8 plays of 20+ yards on offense.

And where are all the posters who defended this extension??? I hear crickets
I never wrote an opinion about it, but since you are worried about hearing from enough people who liked it ... I had no problem with the extension and even liked it because it was proactive (not something I remember seeing much with this team) and no risk. You sign him now to a contract that is easy to back away from instead of later for more if he turns the corner. After next season if you don't think he has developed you cut him post June 1 for $600 000 against the cap. No biggie.
Also, I think they planned on waiting longer than 3 games to evaluate him, especially coming off of an off season of rehab. They'll probably reevaluate more after next year, especially since the team is in a shambles this year anyway. So I'm just rooting for him to be a nice part of the offense next year and in the future, but if not, it's no problem to get him off the books if it's that bad.
As a bonus, for all of the people worrying about players turning on this franchise, with the tank, if it's a tank, or with trading Tunsil and Stills for a nice haul of picks, I suppose this is an example of the organization believeing in and taking care of one of their own. Not a blockbuster deal, but on a current team comprised of support players at best, this shows a support player is valued in this case.

Last edited:
He has to pick it up big time. I like his talent, but its time to produce. I really feel this offense is a great fit for what he can do.

Back
Top Bottom