Ja’marr Chase | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ja’marr Chase

If you call a contested ball catching WR who has one good year of college production and will possibly measure in under 6ft tall(5f11) "The Safest Pick." I would go Waddle and Smith before I would touch Chase, I may even move Bateman above him. I am just not sold on him, I feel the other WR he played with that went to Vikings is better. Let's also not mention the lack of effort he displays at times when he knows ball not going his way.

If you're not sold on a freakishly gifted player that had one of the greatest seasons ever at WR, playing in the SEC. I don't know why you'd be sold on Smith or Waddle.

Chase measured in at 6-02. Has run a 4.40/40. Can bench 315. Did 23 reps at 225 and weighs 207. He manhandles CBs and Cam Dantzler and AJ Terrell said he was the best WR they ever covered, but he's obviously fraudulent let's go with the 170 pound slot receiver that runs a 4.49/40 and benches 185 pounds.

If you're not sold on a freakishly gifted player that had one of the greatest seasons ever at WR, playing in the SEC. I don't know why you'd be sold on Smith or Waddle.

Chase measured in at 6-02. Has run a 4.40/40. Can bench 315. Did 23 reps at 225 and weighs 207. He manhandles CBs and Cam Dantzler and AJ Terrell said he was the best WR they ever covered, but he's obviously fraudulent let's go with the 170 pound slot receiver that runs a 4.49/40 and benches 185 pounds.
Facts.

Waddle > Chase > Smith>Toney for Pure WR's!

It matters because his real value is if he's considered a TE and teams playing him from that perspective first(creating the mismatch with TE/Saftey etc). As soon as you play him as a wideout he loses his great "advantage."
Now i'll ask you as pure reciever how much better is he than a heathy Parker/Williams? Is he worth the #6 overall pick?

Say the skill levels of Parker and Pitts are roughly equal as receivers. Pitts runs as well as Parker does (4.45 v 4.46) but he's 30+lbs heavier and 3 inches taller.

You take Pitts over the top receivers because he's unique, comparable to only a few other tight ends in history. The Dolphins can get elite receivers in the 2/3d rounds, history shows that and this class is even better than last year's, which was also historically deep.

It matters because his real value is if he's considered a TE and teams playing him from that perspective first(creating the mismatch with TE/Saftey etc). As soon as you play him as a wideout he loses his great "advantage."
Now i'll ask you as pure reciever how much better is he than a heathy Parker/Williams? Is he worth the #6 overall pick?
Nobody will be able tell you that answer until he gets on the field. Here is what we know about Pitts he is bigger and taller than Preston and Parker and runs a 4.4 and he played in SEC and played well against their top corners. So if we line him up outside as a receiver I like my chances of having a receiver at 6"6 240 lbs. I put him in the same mold as Calvin Johnson when it comes to height and speed.

There was a report that the Dolphins were down-grading opt outs as well. Obviously, I don't know if it's true, but the report is out there.
Were there any reports to the Dolphins two block buster trades? Not until it happened. While not liking season-long opt-out player is possible for the Dolphins..usually the media is wrong. And very wrong.

But since the media thinks we still take Chase if he's there..they'll probably be wrong there, too! LOL

Chase is probably the best WR but I could very well see the Dolphins selecting Smith at 6 overall. Like it or not, all the guy does is produce and he has 2 years of chemistry with our starting QB. Also, he's the reigning Heisman trophy winner.

Sure, he's slight of frame and that is a concern but only to a certain degree.

Any older NHL fans will certainly remember them knocking Wayne Gretzky for the same thing before he entered the league. Too thin, slight frame, doesn't have elite speed. How'd that work out?

Chase is probably the best WR but I could very well see the Dolphins selecting Smith at 6 overall. Like it or not, all the guy does is produce and he has 2 years of chemistry with our starting QB. Also, he's the reigning Heisman trophy winner.

Sure, he's slight of frame and that is a concern but only to a certain degree.

Any older NHL fans will certainly remember them knocking Wayne Gretzky for the same thing before he entered the league. Too thin, slight frame, doesn't have elite speed. How'd that work out?
NHL Is not football.

Chemistry with college WR is overrated..like I said..if it's so important every elite college QB would get his elite WR on his team...good players on offense like WR or RB or TE make QBs look better and vice versa..if Pitts is your guy, take Pitts, or Chase or Waddle or Smith..whatever..but to put much stock into "they played together in college is a mistake, I would say. News flash: They won't be as open as they were at Bama in the NFL, facing bluechip talent every week!

NHL Is not football.

Chemistry with college WR is overrated..like I said..if it's so important every elite college QB would get his elite WR on his team...good players on offense like WR or RB or TE make QBs look better and vice versa..if Pitts is your guy, take Pitts, or Chase or Waddle or Smith..whatever..but to put much stock into "they played together in college is a mistake, I would say. News flash: They won't be as open as they were at Bama in the NFL, facing bluechip talent every week!
You could make the argument that 80's hockey was more physical than today's NFL........well maybe not. The point stands as we're talking about a guy that was called too small to survive and went on to become possibly the best player ever.

The point is, don't put too much into the underwear olympics. If a guy can play, he can play case closed.

You could make the argument that 80's hockey was more physical than today's NFL........well maybe not. The point stands as we're talking about a guy that was called too small to survive and went on to become possibly the best player ever.

The point is, don't put too much into the underwear olympics. If a guy can play, he can play case closed.
And you know for a fact his weight won't be an issue? It's more likely it is than isn't..and I'm not taking Smitty Twiggy himself @6..no way in heLL do I take him earlier than I'd need to..so yeah..forget that. College success is not a guarantee for pro success..just as a not so great college (stats/whatever) player can be better in the pros. This is not an exact science. Wait until #36 and you'll get a EDGE guy as good or better than anyone in the first round..the EDGE is weak this year..the sooner you realize that the better..and it's not like pay is the second coming of Reggie White lol

Were there any reports to the Dolphins two block buster trades? Not until it happened. While not liking season-long opt-out player is possible for the Dolphins..usually the media is wrong. And very wrong.

But since the media thinks we still take Chase if he's there..they'll probably be wrong there, too! LOL
Actually, I've only seen one report that we're interested in Chase from that Neal Driscoll who is mostly known for being wrong about Miami. On the other hand there have been multiple reports from Armando, Kiper and Pauline that Miami is targeting Smith and Waddle. You can choose to stick your head in the sand or just keep wishing for whatever you want, but reality is that despite being tight lipped our first pick the last three years has been obvious.

If you call a contested ball catching WR who has one good year of college production and will possibly measure in under 6ft tall(5f11) "The Safest Pick." I would go Waddle and Smith before I would touch Chase, I may even move Bateman above him. I am just not sold on him, I feel the other WR he played with that went to Vikings is better. Let's also not mention the lack of effort he displays at times when he knows ball not going his way.

You need to watch more football and read these forums less. Chase isn’t a contested catch WR lol. He’s a little better long speed Anquan Boldin. At worst he’s Michael Crabtree. That’s why he’s the safest. The other Bama guys have higher busy potential(not that I’d take Chase over them).

And you know for a fact his weight won't be an issue? It's more likely it is than isn't..and I'm not taking Smitty Twiggy himself @6..no way in heLL do I take him earlier than I'd need to..so yeah..forget that. College success is not a guarantee for pro success..just as a not so great college (stats/whatever) player can be better in the pros. This is not an exact science. Wait until #36 and you'll get a EDGE guy as good or better than anyone in the first round..the EDGE is weak this year..the sooner you realize that the better..and it's not like pay is the second coming of Reggie White lol
I don't know for a fact that his weight won't be an issue, just like I don't know Farley's back won't be an issue or Parson's maturity, Waddle's ankle or anything else that won't pop up about any prospect. However, Smith has years of production against the top players in college and actually performed better once his high profile teammate went down.

If Smith's measurables were better he's likely the 2nd overall pick in the draft. You can't just ignore 4000 receiving yards and 45 TD's in college because he's thin. The kid gets open and catches everything thrown his way. The comparison with Gretzky is being able to avoid the big hit which I'm sure you know.

You can discount chemistry between QB's and WR's all you want but if that was the case they wouldn't spend time together in the offseason. In this case, they have actual game chemistry together to build upon. Would I rather select him at 8? Absolutely but it is what it is. There's a solid chance Pitts is gone at 4 and Chase at 5 or that the FO values Smith over either.

Back
Top Bottom