James Walker (ESPN) thinks Miami has a QB controversy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

James Walker (ESPN) thinks Miami has a QB controversy

(1) Not sure I'd call it a 'controversy' yet. No one's been named, so can't truely be a controversy. It's actually more of a competition, which is odd to say for this team

They go hand-in-hand. You have a returning starter that is now being forced to compete on an even basis with a new guy. That's the definition of a QB controversy. Brian Hartline just got done saying outright on radio that Matt Moore is "his guy" because he's proven, yet I know there are players in that locker room quietly telling reporters off the record that David Garrard seems ot be winning the competition.

(6) I somewhat disagree with you on this one. I think Bush fits the bill well for this offense...especially from a flexiblity standpoint. We'll see how our rookie does, but I think where we lack some, to your point, is depth. Even though there is a backlog at RB, are they well suited enough for this type of offense? A lot of unknowns at this stage for sure.

We'll see. I certainly don't ever think of Reggie Bush as a fit for this kind of zone-based system. I'll give the man his props for running the ball better than I thought he would in Miami's 2011 man and iso based ground scheme. If we were continuing with that scheme, I'd have no choice but to say Miami has a strong RB unit led by a guy that gained 5.0 yards per carry a year ago and can be a dynamic pass catching threat. But we're switching schemes, switching systems, and I don't know that Reggie is a natural fit in this system. On the other hand, Daniel Thomas is better suited for this system than he was the last system, yet he remains totally unproven that he's even worthy of an NFL roster designation because that's how bad he was last year. Lamar Miller is a rookie that needs a lot of weight room work. Steve Slaton hasn't been a successful ball carrier in years. Jonas Gray will probably start the year on the PUP list, if not the practice squad, and Jerome Messam is a CFL crossover.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Phlbin wasn't going to be calling plays here either

You're correct. What I was implying when I said he's never called plays before is that calling plays can give you a feel for game management, making certain calls when put on the spot, dealing with various time constraints, etc. He won't be calling plays as a head coach but he will be making certain calls and dictating certain things during the game. He'll be forced to make some decisions that he might not have a lot of experience making...whereas if he were the play caller he may have some experience to draw on.

What is wrong with having a QB controversy? It is not like the THREE quarterbacks we have are pro bowl caliber QB's, so may the best man win. I think this is a good thing.

There's just a general school of thought that when you're entering a season with a QB competition in store, you're probably not going to be very good. It's certainly not true all of the time. But it is probably true most of the time. I think that's all James Walker was getting at.

well some maintain reggie bush's season last year was an anomoly, so that being the case lamar should see the field a good deal this year.

Not necessarily. Same thing applies. Reggie Bush proved enough last year that even if he were to struggle, they would probably stick with him for quite a bit of time before finally turning to the rookie.

I think if you're evaluating Miami's tailbacks then right now you have to primarily be focused on Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas. In the future, that's when your other guys like Miller, Messam and Gray can enter the frame. But that's just my opinion.

I expect Daniel Thomas to take over, to be quite honest. I just like his running style so much more. He reminds me of James Starks
As if that's a good thing!

James Starks Career Stats:

ATT - 162
YDS - 679
TD's - 1

The guy has more fumbles (2) than touchdowns.

Oh, Ck! They are itching to turn against you! How dare you agree with Walker!:lol:

We may be playing with house money on Reggie at this point, so to rely on him... may be a mistake. He really wasn't doing much in the beginning of the season. I expect Daniel Thomas to take over, to be quite honest. I just like his running style so much more. He reminds me of James Starks

Is that a good thing? ;)

1. The Dolphins do have a QB controversy
2. It IS nice that in this case the QBs are getting along well and not sniping at one another
3. It IS appropriate to question Philbin's game management as a rookie coach that never called plays, until he shows he has the skills
4. The offense probably will not score enough points
5. The 6-3 finish does fuel confidence in the locker room that they can win even if our QB is mediocre
6. Something negative I would add that James Walker didn't, is that Miami's RBs unit is weaker for this system than people think

I was happy to see your response, because I think all the points for the most part have validity. Far to often at Finheaven people bash negative reporters and praise positive reporters. We have new management and a new system just to start the conversation and in almost any other circumstance reporters would be correct to not get to excited in such situations. so then add in, new receivers, possible different starting QB, changed Oline, hard division, etc and why would someone lay money on the dolphins. Hopefully they kick a$$ but for now, thanks for your post.

I was happy to see your response, because I think all the points for the most part have validity. Far to often at Finheaven people bash negative reporters and praise positive reporters. We have new management and a new system just to start the conversation and in almost any other circumstance reporters would be correct to not get to excited in such situations. so then add in, new receivers, possible different starting QB, changed Oline, hard division, etc and why would someone lay money on the dolphins. Hopefully they kick a$$ but for now, thanks for your post.
Far too often people try to circumvent the profanity filter where there is no need to do so. You can say ass without using a$$.

Far to often at Finheaven people bash negative reporters and praise positive reporters
Just the nature of the beast!

Positive reporters are greeted friendly, whereas negative reporters are seen as the enemy.

Can trust neither! Discern on your own.

How come every time a team has a quarterback competition, it's labeled a "controversy"? People should look up the definition of the word.

They go hand-in-hand. You have a returning starter that is now being forced to compete on an even basis with a new guy. That's the definition of a QB controversy. Brian Hartline just got done saying outright on radio that Matt Moore is "his guy" because he's proven, yet I know there are players in that locker room quietly telling reporters off the record that David Garrard seems ot be winning the competition.

We'll see. I certainly don't ever think of Reggie Bush as a fit for this kind of zone-based system. I'll give the man his props for running the ball better than I thought he would in Miami's 2011 man and iso based ground scheme. If we were continuing with that scheme, I'd have no choice but to say Miami has a strong RB unit led by a guy that gained 5.0 yards per carry a year ago and can be a dynamic pass catching threat. But we're switching schemes, switching systems, and I don't know that Reggie is a natural fit in this system. On the other hand, Daniel Thomas is better suited for this system than he was the last system, yet he remains totally unproven that he's even worthy of an NFL roster designation because that's how bad he was last year. Lamar Miller is a rookie that needs a lot of weight room work. Steve Slaton hasn't been a successful ball carrier in years. Jonas Gray will probably start the year on the PUP list, if not the practice squad, and Jerome Messam is a CFL crossover.

I get what you're saying, but I always felt that a "controversy" was more of a difference of opinion on who should be starting....since we don't have a starter yet, i don't see how there could be a 'controversy'. Either way, we still don't know who will be our QB going in to the season.

I also get what you're saying about the runningback situation. For me, to a fault, I always look at the guys we have and have a 'hopeful' prediction of what I'd like for them to do vs. the reality of what's really there. I also maybe giving too much credit to our new coaching staff based on their history. I'm just looking through my Fin goggles and, from what i see, the future looks pretty good.

I think right now most Dolphins fans would account the tailbacks unit as one of the strengths of the team, thinking that the Dolphins' ground attack will be good and the only question is the passing attack.

I am just saying that I am not as sure of that as most are, because of a number of factors:

For one thing, Reggie Bush had a nice average last year but it was pretty much unprecedented rushing success for him. You get afraid, rightly or wrongly, that he's sort of a one-year wonder. I don't think you breathe the sigh of relief until the player follows that success up with more success.

For another, even taking that aside, we're talking about a multiple-cut/open-field runner moving to a one-cut zone system. I think it's OK to have some question marks about how well he's going to make that transition. Better, more established tailbacks than Reggie Bush have ended up overtaken in that system by total unknowns whose rhythm, vision and style just jives better with the zone system.

Third, you have the Daniel Thomas conundrum. Really pretty awful in 2011, one of the worst rookie tailbacks in the league. He dealt with some hamstring injuries, but I don't think those had as large effect as some (including him) would HOPE is true. He's moving to a system that benefits him more, which is good news. But is he cut out for the NFL period? I'm not sure I see the vision or the ability to consistently create yards after contact.

Finally, there's the blocking. I know we're trying to talk about the tailbacks but inevitably the success or failure of the blockers will bleed into the evaluation of the tailbacks. The Dolphins are moving to a new system and the players are still trying to get chemistry with one another in that system. Is it going to come together right away? Is that realistic?

Let's all do a little definitive English;

Con·tro·ver·sy
(k
obreve-1.gif
n
prime-1.gif
tr
schwa-1.gif
-vûr
lprime-1.gif
s
emacr-1.gif
) n. pl. con·tro·ver·sies 1. A dispute, especially a public one, between sides holding opposing views. See Synonyms at argument.
2. The act or practice of engaging in such disputes:

After we all know the definition of controversy I am wondering can anyone tell me right now at this moment who the starting QB is for the Miami Dolphins? Anyone? Last I knew this word was the better word in this situation as a descriptor:

Com·pe·ti·tion (k
obreve-1.gif
m
lprime-1.gif
p
ibreve-1.gif
-t
ibreve-1.gif
sh
prime-1.gif
schwa-1.gif
n) n. 1. The act of competing, as for profit or a prize; rivalry.
2. A test of skill or ability; a contest: a skating competition.
3. Rivalry between two or more businesses striving for the same customer or market.
4. A competitor: The competition has cornered the market.
5. Ecology The simultaneous demand by two or more organisms for limited environmental resources, such as nutrients, living space, or light.

But I guess QB Competition doesn't have the pazze of QB Controversy although in order to have a controversy you first have a dispute, in order to have a dispute you need to have a disagreement, with disagreement comes lack of consensus and a consensus is a general agreement on a subject.

So again, on the subject of starting Miami QB what was the general agreement because I must have missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom