Jay Cutler or Cromantie & Jon Scott? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Cutler or Cromantie & Jon Scott?

MiamiDolphins34 said:
What do you guys prefer Cutler or trade down and possibly being able to draft Antonio Cromartie and Jon Scott? Both are projected to go late 1st early 2nd.If one of these guys was gone, LB Bobby Carpenter DT Rod Wright S Darnell Bing or some other hybrid LB could still be on the board too.

What would you do?

If Cutler is there we will NOT trade down. If our targetted players are not there, then I could see a tradedown, but just a hunch we stay where we are and draft either Cutler or a CB/S.

Boomer said:
As CK says, Antonio Cromartie is the best pure corner in the draft. Could have the best hips I've seen in a decade. Needs to refine some technique but is ultra quick, is a ball hawk, tremendous size, etc. If he works out well, which some good info from George seems that he will, he would represent tremendous value at 16.

Scott has poor technique, is a lunger, a waist bender, who I wouldn't touch in the first 2 rounds.

I remember a couple of years ago, I thought Max Starx looked pretty good at LT in the senior bowl. then he was poo poo'd on this board. Now he starts for the world champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Scott is a fine specimen. That lunging crap can be fixed let alone that it exists as you say. Everyone has there weaknesses, even Dbrickshaw.

finfan54 said:
I remember a couple of years ago, I thought Max Starx looked pretty good at LT in the senior bowl. then he was poo poo'd on this board. Now he starts for the world champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Scott is a fine specimen. That lunging crap can be fixed let alone that it exists as you say. Everyone has there weaknesses, even Dbrickshaw.

I'd hate to see your idea of a bad specimen if Scott is your idea of a fine one.

"Let alone that it exists". That tells me you haven't watched him much. Try putting in a few tapes, then get back to me.

Boomer said:
I'd hate to see your idea of a bad specimen if Scott is your idea of a fine one.

"Let alone that it exists". That tells me you haven't watched him much. Try putting in a few tapes, then get back to me.

Like I said before, Hudson Houck likes him. I heard a little birdie tell me that Saban tried recruiting him at LSU. I think Hudson likes the Texas linemen. Max Starx is a perfect example of how people read too much into things.

I saw Dbrickshaw Ferguson get used by Hali in the second half of that Senior Bowl, but people do not have a problem with that at all. I dont get it. Now if you say Winston Justice is a better deal for us, you do not have an arguement with me on that, but you make it sound like Scott is a third/fourth rounder.

If we cant get cutler I would like one of the following:

Manny Lawson DE/OLB NCS -think a JT clone that is great for the 3-4. Would fit our systm and need at OLB

Ko Simpson S SC - Hard hitting great safety that can give us great run support, compared to Harrison for the Pats. Better player then Bing whom really is overrated.

I am still not sure who is the second best Tackle after D'Brickshaw honestly.

As for the others:
Wright - is a DE in the 3-4 he is too small for NT and doesnt have the dominating presence. Lutui beat him like a drum in that bowl game too. I wouldnt want him in the 1st or 2nd round and really not in the 3rd either. He is a 4-3 undertackle the best.

Cromartie - If he had come out last year he would of been up there with Rolle as a top 3 CB. This years class he is behind huff/williams (both of whom could be safeties in the NFL they say). But he has great talent if he has a good combine he will climb.
Other top CBs are Tye Hill of Clemson, Youboty is a good 2nd to 3rd rounder. Miami and Nick have been impressed with Kelly Jennings CB Da U- he is great in coverage but bad on run support.
There is alot of CB's later on in the draft from Minter onwards. So really a 1st rounder there is sorta a waste.

Carpenter is a solid pick up if he has a good combine. Folks are curious how he will do there though he could climb also because he is a hybrid. Better coverage then lawson but I would take lawson over him for his rushing abilities. Carpenter I like more in a 4-3 then a 3-4 but he could play either.

Finsfan79 said:
Ko Simpson S SC - Hard hitting great safety that can give us great run support, compared to Harrison for the Pats. Better player then Bing whom really is overrated.

Yes! Couldn't agree more.

finfan54 said:
Like I said before, Hudson Houck likes him. I heard a little birdie tell me that Saban tried recruiting him at LSU. I think Hudson likes the Texas linemen. Max Starx is a perfect example of how people read too much into things.

I saw Dbrickshaw Ferguson get used by Hali in the second half of that Senior Bowl, but people do not have a problem with that at all. I dont get it. Now if you say Winston Justice is a better deal for us, you do not have an arguement with me on that, but you make it sound like Scott is a third/fourth rounder.

I would certainly love to see your justification for saying Hudson Houck likes Jon Scott. That little birdy was an article and yes Saban attempted to recruit Jon Scott. He also recruited Ben Wilkerson who played under Saban, and everyone and their sister had us taking Wilkerson in the mid rounds last year due to the controversy around Seth McKinney's play. Not only did we not draft Wilkerson, we didn't even offer him a UDFA contract.

Saban listens to Houck on who to draft. And, if Houck likes Scott as you say, I would certainly like to see the basis for why you say that. Not saying you are lying or anything, I would just truly be interested in knowing if Scott has really caught Houck's eye or if you're just speculating it.

MiamiDolphins34 said:
What do you guys prefer Cutler or trade down and possibly being able to draft Antonio Cromartie and Jon Scott? Both are projected to go late 1st early 2nd.If one of these guys was gone, LB Bobby Carpenter DT Rod Wright S Darnell Bing or some other hybrid LB could still be on the board too.

What would you do?

can't recall reading anything on how cromartie or scott did at qb this year, so i'd go cutler. but seriously, if cutler is gone i'd be ok going any direction saban chose. just get us a franchise qb - not a career backup/journeyman (croyle or whitehurst).

cutler will be off the board by the time our pick rolls around. He is on every team's radar right now especially after all this recent media hype. I'll definitely say the guy has talent, but quite honestly... I don't see him becoming this "franchise QB" like a lot of people believe. Almost seems as if he's getting the same type of hype that pushed Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers last year. We all saw the results of A. Smith... yea the 49ers blow, but the guy couldn't even deliver an accurate flats pass.

In the scenario we don't trade up or down and keep pick #16, I say we pull the trigger on Justice or Cromratie. I know Cromratie didn't play last year due to a pre-season knee injury. However, he was a pre-season All-American... is still the best "true" CB in the draft... and rumors have it that he's even quicker and stronger than before. He also has great size, a solid frame, and a good sense of the game.

I find it funny when people give up on a top pick like Alex Smith because of a poor rookie season. That kind of thinking would lead us to believe that Peyton Manning throws too many interceptions to be an NFL quarterback and Carson Palmer just really isn't all that good. Donovan McNabb runs too much, and Mike Vick has lots of skills but will never really lead his team to a winning record.

Bellson said:
cutler will be off the board by the time our pick rolls around. He is on every team's radar right now especially after all this recent media hype. I'll definitely say the guy has talent, but quite honestly... I don't see him becoming this "franchise QB" like a lot of people believe. Almost seems as if he's getting the same type of hype that pushed Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers last year. We all saw the results of A. Smith... yea the 49ers blow, but the guy couldn't even deliver an accurate flats pass.

In the scenario we don't trade up or down and keep pick #16, I say we pull the trigger on Justice or Cromratie. I know Cromratie didn't play last year due to a pre-season knee injury. However, he was a pre-season All-American... is still the best "true" CB in the draft... and rumors have it that he's even quicker and stronger than before. He also has great size, a solid frame, and a good sense of the game.
Amen.

I would LOVE Cutler, but no way he drops to us and I am really not in favor of trading picks to move up. Especially in this draft where there are a lot of good players.

Cromartie... I am still hesitant to say go for him. I am always cautious when you have a guy coming off of an injury. Especially a knee for a skills player. However, everyone else is sold on him. I guess if all the dr's check him out and give the green light... sure.

However, IF NOT Cromartie, I definitely want a DB. I would Love HUFF, but I doubt he is there either. Maybe Jimmy Williams...

I'm starting to think maybe Cromartie is a better prospect than Jimmy Williams. A lot will depend on how he works out. If he works out as well as rumors say he will...Cromartie may just be off the board period by the time we pick. Scouts know how good he is.

ckparrothead said:
I find it funny when people give up on a top pick like Alex Smith because of a poor rookie season. That kind of thinking would lead us to believe that Peyton Manning throws too many interceptions to be an NFL quarterback and Carson Palmer just really isn't all that good. Donovan McNabb runs too much, and Mike Vick has lots of skills but will never really lead his team to a winning record.

I agree, I've also read on this board that Aaron Rodgers is a bust already, when he hasn't taken a regular season snap yet.

As if every rookie is supposed to light it up right out of the gate, it just doesn't work that way.

BlueFin said:
I agree, I've also read on this board that Aaron Rodgers is a bust already, when he hasn't taken a regular season snap yet.

As if every rookie is supposed to light it up right out of the gate, it just doesn't work that way.

Which is another reason, if we do hopefully end up with Cutler, that this board will be a mess while he adjusts to the NFL. Know it alls will be everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom