Jay Cutler - seems to be fins top choice | Page 46 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jay Cutler - seems to be fins top choice

Per the Chi Tribune, the speculation about Cutler seems to bring about some chuckling (and that doesn't sound good) within the Bears' locker-room.

I would discount any wry backhanded "compliments" however, from dead coach walking John Fox.. member in good standing of the Jeff Fisher survivor club.

By now you have heard the speculation, the acknowledgements that Cutler could be a target for the Dolphins, who saw starter Ryan Tannehill go down with a significant knee injury Thursday. Dolphins coach Adam Gase, of course, has ties to Cutler and had relative success coaching the quarterback with the Bears in 2015. That season Cutler posted a 92.3 rating, threw for 3,659 yards and had 21 touchdown passes with only 11 interceptions.

So might it make sense for the quarterback-needy Gase to try to lure Cutler out of retirement? That quickly became a hot topic in NFL news, creating an avalanche of Cutler headlines.

At Bears camp, however, there was merely amusement in the rumor mill Friday. Coach John Fox chuckled about the Cutler-to-Miami rumblings.

"For me, I laugh," he said. "Not that it's out of the blue. I'm not even sure what's going on down there. But it doesn't surprise me that there are rumblings about anything."

Offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains initially declined comment on the matter before saying "Jay Cutler is extremely talented. He could do whatever he wanted to do."

Offensive lineman Kyle Long, a teammate of Cutler's for four of the quarterback's eight seasons in Chicago, offered the most elaborate answer.

"I completely thought he was on full Montana mode, just chilling with his wife and kids," Long said. "But nothing would surprise me. Obviously him being with Gase here and having relative success and a good relationship, you never know. I don't know anything about it. I just read about it today and thought it was pretty funny."

Like the rest of the NFL world, the Bears will stay tuned.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...phins-bears-training-camp-20170804-story.html

Hopefully all this is just due diligence. If the starting QB is hurt, still dont know how long, it would be dumb not to at least make some phone calls, see if cutler is even an option if we need him.

I know I'll be in the minority on this board with this statement, but I would draft a QB in the first 3 rounds next year regardless of how Tanny heals and Cutler/rental QB do. I trust Gase to evaluate a young, solid QB more than anyone, at worst it gives us some insurance, and at best we are in a scenario where we have a choice to flip Tanny/drafted QB for a lions share of picks and players.

You will hear nothing of this publicly, but the Dolphins likely are thinking the same thing right now.

Also, looking at the bright side of a horrible situation, we get time this year to really evaluate just how good this team is regardless of Tannehill. If we make the playoffs, trust me that Tannehill agreement is being reworked a ton.

I'd be all for it. It's similar to the Brees/Rivers situation. The quarterback position is too valuable to leave it up to chance. If another setback happens, you don't want to be stuck with the same problems next year.

Last edited:
Dating back to the initial injury the team continues to mishandle the situation at every turn. Sign Cutler or don't just make a decision. Every day we don't make a move on him is another day a different qb is not gaining familiarity in the system.

I know I'll be in the minority on this board with this statement, but I would draft a QB in the first 3 rounds next year regardless of how Tanny heals and Cutler/rental QB do.

Absolutely. Should have been earlier. Especially since it has become somewhat obvious that we don't really trust Moore to take over as a true starter.

I'm sure he's way out of shape (he never was a real workout guy anyway....plus he's a smoker)

Hahah he is not a real smoker. The smokin jay nickname and memes are a joke about his 'meh' disposition.

Who knew that Aaron Rodgers had yet another brother he's also probably not talking to (who's broadcasting with "The Bachelor")

anyway another alleged inside source now heard from, LOL

Given WRs, he could throw the ball. He could hit B Marshall which our QBs were never able to do.

Given WRs and a running game, he can move the ball and score points. Running the ball and playing good defense, of course, will be important for us. He might have as good as an arm as we have had as far as throwing it downfield. But I'm just can dink and dunk if needed.

I think he is clearly better than Matt Moore who I like but simply does not have a big arm etc.

Just go to the end of this game and watch him. At about 29 Minutes in the Gator score twice quickly and Urban Meyer gets caught flashing a quick smile. Vandy has no defense, The Gators put up 49 points to beat him in double OT. He was being chased he whole game.

I'm very upset about Ryan but considering no draft pick will be involved, this could work for us.

Hard to believe we've been waiting all these months for football to start again and then in the first few days of camp we get Ajayi to go down, Tannehill most likely done and Larsen might be done too and I'm sure there's more to come....smh

Ozzy rules!!

shhh don't encourage them :) We need Tim Tebows prayers.

@JeffDarlington: As Cutler continues contemplating a return to football this weekend after talks with Gase, he is now leaning heavily toward staying retired.

@JeffDarlington: I’m told Cutler is giving this a long, hard look because this situation was literally the only scenario he thought could pull him back in.

@JeffDarlington: But even with potential to play for Gase and a solid supporting cast, if Tannehill needs surgery, it’s looking like it still won’t sway him.

@JeffDarlington: I just wouldn’t fully close door because (a) Cutler isn’t 100.0 percent sure, (b) Gase is one convincing dude if goes into sales-pitch mode.

He prob wants more $$$

@JeffDarlington: As Cutler continues contemplating a return to football this weekend after talks with Gase, he is now leaning heavily toward staying retired.

@JeffDarlington: I’m told Cutler is giving this a long, hard look because this situation was literally the only scenario he thought could pull him back in.

@JeffDarlington: But even with potential to play for Gase and a solid supporting cast, if Tannehill needs surgery, it’s looking like it still won’t sway him.

@JeffDarlington: I just wouldn’t fully close door because (a) Cutler isn’t 100.0 percent sure, (b) Gase is one convincing dude if goes into sales-pitch mode.

He prob wants more $$$

I don't blame him. 22 other quarterbacks average 15 million a year or more in 2017. 13 million is too low for Jay Cutler to be brought in as a starter, especially when he already set up his after football life.

Back
Top Bottom