Jeff Fuller #3 WR on new depth chart? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jeff Fuller #3 WR on new depth chart?

I really think if given the opportunity, Marlon Moore is going to be the WR that breaks out for us. He just seems to produces when given the chance. I'm very excited to see what happens if he holds onto one of the top 3 WR spots.

I also think Fuller is going to make this team. I really think this coaching staff is disappointed in Wallace, but it's really hard to let a WR with his kind of measureables go. I think thats why they're going to want to groom Fuller. He has all of Wallace's measurables plus more room to grow. Don't forget, coming into his Senior year, Fuller was considered a 2nd or 3rd round pick with many experts thinking he could sneak into the first round with a big enough year. I'm excited for him as well, although I think he might need a year of seasoning.

jim, where is all of your evidence of chris hogan getting such great separation other than hard knocks? and your proof of all his yac? he has 4 catches for an 8 yard average vs 3s in 2 games... one of those plays was a 17 yarder. Not to mention in garbage time where we were running hurry ups to get back in the game. Do you go to the practices? You claim the beat writers were raving about him, but I went back and to be honest, they talked about roberto far more than hogan if you ask me. And Roberto is averaging 16 something yards per catch vs 1s and 2s no less. Everyone is on this guys junk, count me among those who will not be surprised when he is let go. He made 1 good play on special teams... but that's where guys like Julius Pruitt and Wallace have made a living in this league and where they'll make the team. Idk, it's near impossible to watch the receivers in the games as they run off the screen seconds after the ball is snapped, so i guess i just don't understand where all this Hogan love is coming from or the evidence of it anyways. When he performs vs something higher than 3s i'll buy into the hype, i just don't get it yet. Ya he looked awesome in Hard Knocks, but again, they have 500 something hours of tape a week to choose from, they can make it into whatever they want. To each his own I suppose, we'll know in a few weeks I guess. 'Hiding' him on the depth chart is just a silly suggestion if you ask me, I just think that's where he's at is all, and he'll be even lower if Hartline gets healthy before the season.

As for Jeff Fuller, it'll be interesting to see if he makes it... he dropped 3 passes in 2 Pat Devlin series in the 1st game, but he resurrected himself a bit in the carolina game. Flashes of those drops are kind of scary though when that is already the knock on him out of school.

I really want to see Fuller just randomly break out and be our Colston. Hey I feel like i say this all the time but seriously, don't forget that we have bush not only in the back fields for runs/draws/flats/screens, we also are going to be playing him at WR. I can see why they want bigs in the slot, having bush out wide coming in on quick slants right underneath Fuller/Wallace/Naane taking out the LB and S on posts all the while still having DT or LM in the backfield?!? So many options it's unreal, and we have a Qb who has started his career at Qb under a system where he will now start his NFL career....knowing all of the plays. We could be deadly on offense with the right personnel. Marlon Moore is who should be stepping up the most, Fuller over Wallace. $

jim, where is all of your evidence of chris hogan getting such great separation other than hard knocks? and your proof of all his yac? he has 4 catches for an 8 yard average vs 3s in 2 games... one of those plays was a 17 yarder. Not to mention in garbage time where we were running hurry ups to get back in the game. Do you go to the practices? You claim the beat writers were raving about him, but I went back and to be honest, they talked about roberto far more than hogan if you ask me. And Roberto is averaging 16 something yards per catch vs 1s and 2s no less. Everyone is on this guys junk, count me among those who will not be surprised when he is let go. He made 1 good play on special teams... but that's where guys like Julius Pruitt and Wallace have made a living in this league and where they'll make the team. Idk, it's near impossible to watch the receivers in the games as they run off the screen seconds after the ball is snapped, so i guess i just don't understand where all this Hogan love is coming from or the evidence of it anyways. When he performs vs something higher than 3s i'll buy into the hype, i just don't get it yet. Ya he looked awesome in Hard Knocks, but again, they have 500 something hours of tape a week to choose from, they can make it into whatever they want. To each his own I suppose, we'll know in a few weeks I guess. 'Hiding' him on the depth chart is just a silly suggestion if you ask me, I just think that's where he's at is all, and he'll be even lower if Hartline gets healthy before the season.

As for Jeff Fuller, it'll be interesting to see if he makes it... he dropped 3 passes in 2 Pat Devlin series in the 1st game, but he resurrected himself a bit in the carolina game. Flashes of those drops are kind of scary though when that is already the knock on him out of school.

The drops are scary for Fuller since that is what dropped him coming out of college, but you gotta love the fact that he is creating seperation(albeit against 2nd and 3rd stringers), where as Wallace still seems to struggle to get open. Hopefully this coaching staff works hard with him and improves his hands a bit.

I read the Sun Sentinel and Miami Herald sports sections every day and also go through Phins.com. The bottom line is that every day during training camp I've read pretty much what's out there and I've seen whatever I can. I have not been to training camp this year.

You can dice it it any way you want- things said about Naane, things said about Wallace, whatever. I don't really care all that much what Izzy Gould, Omar Kelly or Armando Salguero have to say about individual players and practices, but I do care what Barry Jackson reports, I do care what Drew Rosenhaus has to say, and I very much care that the coaching staff has ranked Naane at or very near the top of the depth chart since day 1. That's how I process it, you can do it any way that you choose.

As to Fuller, I like him and I hope he makes the 53- size, good wheels, familiarity with the system, great blocker, very productive in college when healthy. I have a very distinct bias against Hartline and Bess, and in the case of Bess I carry that bias in spite of the coaching staff apparently liking him and ranking him highly. I've seen hiom for four years. I've seen an average of around 40 yards per game and a guy who scores a touchdown every twenty quarters (and change) on average. And that's what I see- average. I see a hidrance to progress. As to Hartline, I hope that he ends up on IR and misses the whole year. More reps and a roster spot for the young guys, let Hartline try to make the team next year. Newsflash- Brian Hartline and Davone Bess, as things stand now and when Hartline is finally healthy, are the backbone of arguably the most putrid WR crew in the NFL. I've seen three years of Hartline and four years of Bess, and that's enough. Five TDs combined? Around 1,000 yards combined? I'm done. Move on, give the young guys a shot, draft a WR or two high next year, maybe grab a good one in FA.

ps As to Hogan, the evidence mounts, the story builds. First it was the daily reports, multiple guys saying basically, uh, who is this unknown guy making so many plays in camp? Then you have the back story- lacrosse player, 6-2 220 lbs, running in the 4.4's and benching 225 lbs 28 times. Then you have the 7-11 story from Hard Knocks, Reggie Bush and the coaches raving about him. You mentioned Wallace- I doubt that you'll hear the coaches refer to Hogan as separating so poorly that he seems to be wearing ankle weights. If you have any eye for judging WRs you probably say to yourself, "damn", after watching him break out of cuts. Then you have Drew Rosenhaus raving about him- personally I respect his opinions of players and his take on situations quite a bit. You add it all up and it sure seems to me that this kid Hogan is a player, and a keeper.

All this talk of the preseason games- the coaches have to look at what, 8-10 WRs? These guys are in and out of the game, limited time. I don't really care what Hogan's stats are in preseason games. Of course I want him to look good, but the practices are more telling imo, these players have limited time in the games, that's just the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, and I like Fuller as well. On top of everything else, he is one mamma jamma of a blocker.
Jim I cannot comment on fuller yet but I'm not too confident in our receiver corp. live long and prosper jim

My 2 cents on Hogan...

I do think he's worth keeping, but I just do see the room or fit for him. He's a slot WR thats behind Bess and Pruitt. We really need someone on the outside and I don't think that fits Hogan's skill set as well.

I do think he is talented and isn't just a product of Hard Knocks. If you remember a couple of weeks back, Jimmy Wilson and some other Dolphin DB's were praising Hogan and saying he was the toughest cover during camp. Also, Matt Maicaco, 49ers beat writer, was saying the other day how Hogan was very impressive in the 49ers camp last year until he got hurt which eventually led to him being cut.

I don't doubt his talent, I just don't see him making this team. I hope he makes our PS, but I doubt he does with the coverage of him on Hard Knocks. Anyways just my opinion

Sherman said based on the pace of their practice, they get to see plenty of reps from the receivers to scout ]and evaluated them.

We got a lot of bubble players, and this week is critical for them to start taking steps forward. I'm just tired of hearing from the likes of Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace, and Juluis Pruitt every camp only for them to disappear when the real games start. Mostly Wallace needs to go.

I'd love to jettison Naanee too, but we can't go into the season loaded on UDFA and 7th rounders up and down our receiving core. Fuller is going to make the team because of his familiarity with the offense and Tannehill. He's RT's security blanket, a very poor man's Coby Fleener to Andrew Luck.

I'm guessing it will be:

Naanee, Bess, Hartline, Fuller, Matthews, and Hogan/Pruitt/Moore.

I doubt teams will be scrambling to pick up Moore or Pruitt. Hogan, probably so you have to keep him.

Does it bother anybody else that we have Bess as the starting PR again??? I know he's solid (though nothing special) back there, but he's our most experienced/consistent WR at this point. IMHO I'd rather not expose him to the hits he'll take running punts back. I wonder if this means it's a longshot for guys like Matthews, and the KR/RB from the CFL to make the squad?

As for Hogan, who knows what they are doing. We've seen him for a few quarters of preseason games, and a couple minutes of hard knocks. He's been cut from two other teams, and he's still at the bottom of the depth chart. As fans we don't have the whole story, so until he's shown in the top six I find it hard to be confident he's going to make the squad. I hope I'm wrong. He looks good from everything I've seen too, but like I said we aren't nearly seeing the whole picture.

Looks like he runs decent routes, has sufficient speed and quintessential WR size... He's not afraid to go over the middle, and certainly has a familiarity with the offense.

If he could regain his Aggies '10 form, or learn how to hold onto the football, no doubt he'd be a pleasant unexpected surprise who'd nicely resolve one of our problem areas.

Would Hogan be getting any love if HArd Knocks hadn't mentioned him. I think the problem is that there is a love in with a guy we don't see enough of.

I want to see a lot more of what he can do. We already know what certain guys can't do.

I'm getting my hopes up for Hogan, then again, maybe I'm drinking the kool aid.

Did Pruitt and Naane even play vs carolina? If so, they were invisible and I dont understand how they can be so high on the depth chart. We need Hartline healthy fast.

Eveyone seems to be dismissing Wallace but I haven't seen any other Miami WR's in this preseason run a slant, break a tackle and take a short pass for a 20 yard gain like Wallace has. That's one of the staples of the WCO. I think a lot of guys are watching HardKnocks and getting carried away with "ankle weights" and "7-11" comments. Until I see it on the field when the lights are on I'm a skeptic.

damn Im not excited bout pruitt, moore or wallace and right now they are 3, 4 and 5. I will be upset if Mathews, Fuller and Hogan all dont make this team we need to keep at least one I would keep all 3 in favor of the other 3 mentioned
I'm with you on Matthews and Hogan. Both should make the team. Fuller is a little further down on my list, but he does have upside and is familiar with Tannehill.

Back
Top Bottom