Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
He's serviceable to me. As far as I'm concern we need to quality starters next to Kiko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that has more to do with Jenkins. He has said Jenkins is only a part time player going forward. But idk somebody who keyed in on Hewitt can tell me what they think. I haven't focused on him

Athletic player and a bit undersized coming into the league. I consider him a developmental type player (like Lippett).
He has the physical talent to be a starter, but needs a bit more experience.
The Broncos won a SB with 2 mid to late round starters at LB, who both developed into pro bowlers.

:up:

This entry focuses on Neville Hewitt, an outside LB from Marshall University.

In fact, he WAS the very reason I decided to this "hidden gem" series. Vince Wilfork's departure and Mr. Hill pulling a spoiler threw a massive wrench to the order, but I finally got here.

Hewitt played a hybrid safety / Linebacker role like Shaq Thompson at JUCO level. Considering that, it is reasonable that his school listed him as 6'-2" 219lbs, which would be considered as "too light" at the NFL level. However, he put extra 12 lbs by his pro day and still blew people away.

. . .

Before you watch tapes, pay close attention to 1) How often he DISENGAGE from blockers, always make himself available in a tackling position. (And I saw a few uncalled holdings in the NIU game) He often faces OLs who have good 60~70 lbs on him but he plays much bigger than numbers indicate. 2) How often he acts as a field general who makes pre-snap corrections. I tried to capture them as much as I could. 3) How often he gets animated and passionate (in a good way), installing Brandon Spikes / Browner esque swagger to the D# or even the entire team.

. . .

SCOUT'S TAKE

Strong, wrap up tackler who delivers powerful hits and uses quick acceleration to fill the gap. Possesses closing speed and shows very active hands. Has demonstrated the ability to fend off blocks and make the tackle—impressive disengage and attack skills. Will be labeled "undersized" leading up to the draft. Has a lean frame but needs to bulk up. Played a hybrid safety/linebacker position at Georgia Military prior to joining The Herd in 2013. Had surgery in February of 2014 to fix a herniated disc, pinched nerve and bone spurs and then went on to win Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year. Team captain. Noted film room junkie. Has been able to overcome much adversity off the field and stay focused in the classroom, maintaining a 3.0 GPA. Very close friends with Clemson defensive tackle Grady Jarrett. Might be best suited for similar role to the way the Seahawks implement Kam Chancellor on defense at the next level. Compares to Ryan Shazier.

. . .

Dan Brugler's Scouting Guide:

SUMMARY: A three-star safety recruit out of high school, Hewitt received attention from SEC schools, including an offer from South Carolina, but he failed to qualify and enrolled at Georgia Military College for two seasons where he learned structure. Hewitt transferred to Marshall for his final two seasons of eligibility where he started 26 games and totaled 208 tackles, earning 2014 C-USA Defensive Player of the Year honors. He had off-season surgery (Feb. 2014) to fix a herniated disc and pinched nerve, but he didn’t miss any games – accustomed to working through adversity (mother currently in prison for drug trafficking). Hewitt, who is best friends with Clemson’s Grady Jarrett, is physical and takes on bocks aggressively to hold up vs. the run despite his lack of ideal size and strength. He has natural instincts and the read/react quickness to sidestep bodies and arrive at the ballcarrier to make stops – rarely came off the field and is flying under the radar as a NFL prospect

Full article w/ videos: Belichick's Next Hidden Gem

If the plan is to get a stud OLB early in draft and use Hewitt in other side because they figure he's decent enough, then I'm ok with that. Unrealistic to think we can get 2 impact OLBs in one off season.

Ideally Hewitt isn't in our long term plans.

Kiko is best suited at WOLB. We need a Mike and a SLB in the off season. Hewitt is not either of those.

If we draft a beast SLB and leave Kiko at Mike, then Hewitt may have a future here, but that wouldn't be getting the most out of Kiko.

That's a nice write up SoS

I think he's done a decent job stepping in for Jenkins who hasn't been that hot this year

I like Neville...I like keeping the players and building them up....

Get him in the weight room, get him in the play book...he has the athleticism...build him up. You can't draft ready made players 24/7.

I say he is a keeper.

Kiko is best suited at WOLB. We need a Mike and a SLB in the off season. Hewitt is not either of those.

If we draft a beast SLB and leave Kiko at Mike, then Hewitt may have a future here, but that wouldn't be getting the most out of Kiko.
I totally get and agree with what you're saying about kiko but long term, you always need solid depth

I agree with you that we need a true Mike and Sam. I also like Hewitt long term at Will. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that has more to do with Jenkins. He has said Jenkins is only a part time player going forward. But idk somebody who keyed in on Hewitt can tell me what they think. I haven't focused on him

He has played very well the last couple of games. The few games before that he had some issues, but that may just be due to not being comfortable yet.

Jenkins and Butler can both be benched IMO...

Solid but unspectacular. Doesn't make a ton of plays but doesn't give up plays either. I like how he's developing.

I agree with you that we need a true Mike and Sam. I also like Hewitt long term at Will. I'll leave it at that.

As a starter or as a rotation guy? I feel like he's the kind of depth players good teams have to fall back on. We need him but still need more LBers hopefully from next years draft. If Vance can make a good/decent player from Hewitt I want to see what he can do with top LB prospects next year.

Back
Top Bottom