Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter

Didn't know he had a hybrid role in college. I'd like to see him go back to that kind of role, I could see how he would do well at that. These hybrids are all the hype. Teams are chasing these guys like crazy in the draft now.

Hewitt is getting better plus he seems to stay healthy and his contract is a bargain. Let him develop.
I still would take the best LB prospect next year because we need a difference maker at LB

So you don't like Kiko?

Concerning his play at MLB.

Strengths: Fast LB as he seems to be returning to form from multiple knee injuries; His very good speed, quickness & agility are desired traits.

Average: run reads; pass coverage.

Weaknesses: weak at the POA; often washed out; takes bad angles; can be easily fooled by misdirection in both the run and pass game; often late to the play; the majority of his tackles are downfield and they rarely make an impact (44th ranked LB in Tackles for Loss - 6.3%).

Ideally Hewitt isn't in our long term plans.

Kiko is best suited at WOLB. We need a Mike and a SLB in the off season. Hewitt is not either of those.

If we draft a beast SLB and leave Kiko at Mike, then Hewitt may have a future here, but that wouldn't be getting the most out of Kiko.

What are you basing this on? Kiko has played in the middle, MLB/ILB, in high school, college and in the pros where he was Defensive Rookie of the Year. What makes you and others think he is better suited at WOLB?

I think we've got 2 keepers at LB, and Hewitt is one of them. Unfortunately the other one is Kiko and his best fit is also probably at WILL. Hewitt is key depth and should get plenty of work in subpackages. In a perfect world we nab a MLB next draft, kicking Kiko over to WILL, with Hewitt as his backup. He's valuable depth. Then get a bull who can stand up at POA for SOLB, those guys usually aren't too hard to come by. Paysinger is good depth behind whoever that is too. So add a starter at MLB and SLB. Worse case scenario, Kiko is still solid in the middle, Hewitt could be an average starter at WILL, then you just need to build the depth behind them. Definitely need to add a blue-chipper to the mix though, whether at MIKE or WILL, then slide Kiko to the other spot because he's key.

What about stealing Hightower from the Pats? Spotrac has set his value at 5/50.5M.

I think we've got 2 keepers at LB, and Hewitt is one of them. Unfortunately the other one is Kiko and his best fit is also probably at WILL. Hewitt is key depth and should get plenty of work in subpackages. In a perfect world we nab a MLB next draft, kicking Kiko over to WILL, with Hewitt as his backup. He's valuable depth. Then get a bull who can stand up at POA for SOLB, those guys usually aren't too hard to come by. Paysinger is good depth behind whoever that is too. So add a starter at MLB and SLB. Worse case scenario, Kiko is still solid in the middle, Hewitt could be an average starter at WILL, then you just need to build the depth behind them. Definitely need to add a blue-chipper to the mix though, whether at MIKE or WILL, then slide Kiko to the other spot because he's key.

What about stealing Hightower from the Pats? Spotrac has set his value at 5/50.5M.

He's been my top free agent target since the off season.

He's exactly what we need. I still also think we could be switching to a 3-4 which makes him in even higher demand for us.

What are you basing this on? Kiko has played in the middle, MLB/ILB, in high school, college and in the pros where he was Defensive Rookie of the Year. What makes you and others think he is better suited at WOLB?

I blame madden for this kind of thinking that you can move players at will, kiko is the best mlb we have since Zack Thomas.

He's been my top free agent target since the off season.

He's exactly what we need. I still also think we could be switching to a 3-4 which makes him in even higher demand for us.

Think there's no chance we switch to a 3-4 with Suh. But Hightower should be able to play at a high level in either scheme.

I agree with you that we need a true Mike and Sam. I also like Hewitt long term at Will. I'll leave it at that.
SOS - I'm one of your biggest fans but what the hell do you think Kiko is? He by far the best mike linebacker in a Dolphin jersey since Zach Thomas and he happens to have good instincts and athleticism. I think he's making a fine contribution to the Dolphins.
I like Neville Hewitt. He's faster than Jelani and tackles hard. Agree that he's a very good development prospect who has come from nowhere to be a fine contributor. Vance Joseph seems to know what he's doing developing young players in his system. Huge upgrade from Kevin Coyle. It should also be noted that Linebackers Coach, Matt Burke came with Vance Joseph from Cincinnati Bengals. Joseph had the DBs and Burke had the LBs - they probably work well together.

Think there's no chance we switch to a 3-4 with Suh. But Hightower should be able to play at a high level in either scheme.

You could be right, I always believe coaches will always go to the system they know and like the best.

Before Joseph was blocked, he tried to go to Denver to run their 3-4, and has stated he prefers it. Our teams off season looks like it was set up to transition IMO. But who knows.

Kiko was the WILB in a hybrid defense which translates to a Will in a 4-3 imo. Bills ran a lot of stuff to keep Kiko clean and flowing to the ball with Arthur Moats facing blockers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Neville...I like keeping the players and building them up....

Get him in the weight room, get him in the play book...he has the athleticism...build him up. You can't draft ready made players 24/7.

I say he is a keeper.

The great organizations develop players and depth.

You can't have 22 starters that are all high picks.

You could be right, I always believe coaches will always go to the system they know and like the best.

Before Joseph was blocked, he tried to go to Denver to run their 3-4, and has stated he prefers it. Our teams off season looks like it was set up to transition IMO. But who knows.

My counter would be these coaches preach fitting schemes to their personnel. And they're most expensive asset is much more valuable in a 4-3.

My counter would be these coaches preach fitting schemes to their personnel. And they're most expensive asset is much more valuable in a 4-3.

Yeah that could be true, but I don't see any reason Suh can't move to DE.

And coaches talk about fitting scheme to players as much as GMs say they will draft BPA. Sounds nice, and some do it sometimes, but at the end of the day coaches always want to run the scheme they are most comfortable with and GMs almost always will draft/sign players to fit the scheme the coach wants.

Its hard for me to believe we are set up so perfectly to make the transition to a 3-4 and it's a coincidence. It seems purpseful but who knows.

Back
Top Bottom