Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter

SOS - I'm one of your biggest fans but what the hell do you think Kiko is? He by far the best mike linebacker in a Dolphin jersey since Zach Thomas and he happens to have good instincts and athleticism. I think he's making a fine contribution to the Dolphins.
I like Neville Hewitt. He's faster than Jelani and tackles hard. Agree that he's a very good development prospect who has come from nowhere to be a fine contributor. Vance Joseph seems to know what he's doing developing young players in his system. Huge upgrade from Kevin Coyle. It should also be noted that Linebackers Coach, Matt Burke came with Vance Joseph from Cincinnati Bengals. Joseph had the DBs and Burke had the LBs - they probably work well together.

Thank you, sir.

There's a difference b/w where he plays and what he is best suited for. He is adequate for the job at Mike considering the lack of talent that was on hand. But I am a believer that you need to build from the inside out on defense and the strength of it begins with the inside triangle in a 4-3 of NT/DT/MLB. To me, Alonso doesn't fit the mold nor displays the proper instincts to consistently ID and execute in the middle of a 4-3. He has had a few key and impressive plays but overall his highlight reel is few and doesn't represent his every down production.

Personally I think people would be quite surprised to watch him on an every down basis and see just how much he is either washed out, out of position, or piggybacking plays 5+ yards downfield that simply increase his volume of tackles.

My counter would be these coaches preach fitting schemes to their personnel. And they're most expensive asset is much more valuable in a 4-3.

Also note worthy, we can hardly field 3 LB's let alone 4 with depth behind them.

Kiko as a Will is potential AllPro stuff.

But as of now he's the best Mike we have on the roster by a multiplier of 10.

Kiko as a Will is potential AllPro stuff.

But as of now he's the best Mike we have on the roster by a multiplier of 10.

Agree. To further solidify this Alonso playing the WLB talk his best play to date, which was the pick 6 vs the Chargers, came from the Will position.

2x2 passing strength is on the boundary-side designated by the TE alignment. Alonso is the WLB.

All22:

[vine]5TBiJJhuzJX[/vine]

Thread/post #61: On the Kiko pick 6 - Anatomy of a (game winning) play.

I completely disagree with these move kiko assessments

I do think hewitt is a potential starting caliber weakside olb...hes played well of late which i see as being more familiarity with scheme than anything else

Kiko carries a plus grade thru 10 games as a mike

I completely disagree with these move kiko assessments

I do think hewitt is a potential starting caliber weakside olb...hes played well of late which i see as being more familiarity with scheme than anything else

Kiko carries a plus grade thru 10 games as a mike

:err: We'll agree to completely disagree then. I don't see it nor have I seen it.

Pretty sure the dolphins see it different

I think VJ is working well with what he has. That's a pretty simple statement that could be applied to a slew of Dolphin defenders at the moment. Nothing to me says MLB about Alonso's play. I challenge visual evidence to prove differently as well.

* I have also challenged the lone gentlemen who gave you the thumbs up on this statement on multiple occasions to support Alonso at MLB and I'm consistently told it's worth his time. I know why it would be a waste as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vance Joseph has done really good work. Best coordinator this team has had in some time, from what I have seen through these 10 games.

Not only was Alonso rumored to be switched to WLB in Buffalo but also in Philly (before his departure) in Schwartz's defense which is a very similar scheme to what VJ runs.

The Eagles are expected to move Kiko Alonso to weak-side linebacker in new coordinator Jim Schwartz's 4-3 defense.
It's where Nigel Bradham amassed 104 tackles in 14 games for Schwartz in Buffalo in 2014, and where DeAndre Levy notched 119 tackles across 16 starts for Schwartz's Lions in 2013. Alonso was a big disappointment in his first season with the Eagles, causing just one turnover and finishing 49th among 60 qualified inside linebackers. Still only 25 years old, Alonso is a decent bet to bounce back under Schwartz in 2016.

Vance Joseph has done really good work. Best coordinator this team has had in some time, from what I have seen through these 10 games.

Hes the best personnel utilization and skill set fit dc this teams had since i was paying attention

He gets the most out of his players...im overly impressed

And thats why this offseason assuming he is still here the moves he makes i will full on support regardless...i think you are gonna see him look for specific scheme fits not universal ones if that makes sense

Guys that may not be ideal in other schemes that are in miami

That said unless the lb job requirements are gonna change i would not trust high pick rookies even to excel out the gate...this is not football for dummies schematically...this is a i need reps and time one to understand my assignments and you have to be disciplined

I think if hewitt is being viewed as a potential starter that tells you they have no plans on moving kiko from mike...and unless they are gonna change the range requirements schematically of the position and what they ask kiko to do now no real thumper is gonna make it work

At any rate right now this teams getting by with spencer paysinger even in the lb rotation and playing...if that doesnt tell you the scheme is the meal ticket in miami nothing does

Kkeying Alonso in the Chargers game. 1) It's latter in the season when the defense has settled into VJ's scheme and 2) They are a good offense unlike this very past game vs the Rams.

I am trying to condense two consecutive plays per clip to save time and space. Pass coverage will be in All22, Run defense, blitzes, etc. will be from the goalline cam.

Here is the first defensive series: 6 plays

The first play is Alonso's MO in that he is late to the play and he piggybacks tackles thus increasing his volume in numbers giving an inaccurate view of his actual production. The pitiful effort and being washed out on the second play is what I see far too often to be even considered a good MLB.
[vine]5FiUQuzplZ9[/vine]

I'll refrain from commenting on the next 4 plays to remove any bias.
[vine]5FixqjDnalK[/vine]

[vine]5FixjdzguWV[/vine]

The 2nd play is the safeties fill looks like quddus who is blocked in the back...its not a plus alonso play but if it does get thru there hes free to flow laterally and make a space tackle given his depth

I think more than anything he was trying to shimmy the blocker with the "false" step inside there

The other 4 plays im not sure the beef is...they are just really nit picky...hes not a great poa fill backer and hes not great at carrying coverage but if you put him at weak hes gonna have to carry coverage even more

Hes not gonna make every damn play...let him get hurt and then we will see what negative mike play looks like

I think his gap fill in terms of being in the right gap has been pretty good...others are blowing those assignments

The 2nd play is the safeties gap looks like quddus who is blocked in the back...its not a plus alonso play but if it does get thru there hes free to flow laterally and make a space tackle given his depth

I think more than anything he was trying to shimmy the blocker with the "false" step inside there

The other 4 plays im not sure the beef is...they are just really nit picky...hes not a great poa fill backer and hes not great at carrying coverage but if you put him at weak hes gonna have to carry coverage even more

I wasn't being nitpicky on the following four plays. They are simply the remaining 4 of 6 in the series. Though the coverage is lacking.

Play #2 isn't just not a plus, it's straight up awful and should earn a minus. I understand it's not his gap but he not only his weak at the POA but jumps horizontally in the wrong direction all together and is complete non factor. Bad instints there to boot.

He is a poor at the POA and not great at carrying coverage. I absolutely agree. Which is why I would like us to acquire a true MLB and see Hewitt at Weak.

One of the worst trades in Dolphin history. We're incredibly lucky to have someone so vindictive towards Tunsil causing him to fall with the gas mask incident

Back
Top Bottom