Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joe Schad: Dolphins View Neville Hewitt as Potential Starter

So you want hewitt and to lose kiko outright?

What!

I thank my lucky stars we have kiko

I guess the tender designation will say a lot this offseason

I thought Kiko was great in coverage and had great instincts. The knock on him is he doesn't finish plays well. Like missed tackles or getting washed out by blockers.

So you want hewitt and to lose kiko outright?

What!

I thank my lucky stars we have kiko

I guess the tender designation will say a lot this offseason

This season he has been an adequate starter due to a bare cupboard in the LB corp. He's a filler and I use that term loosely b/c it doesn't pertain to run fits. If this defense is going to take the next step we need a true MLB.

2nd defensive series vs Chargers:

Play #1. Alonso is again a non factor by a deuce block from the LT.
[vine]5F57T1HzXlY[/vine]

The next two plays we're incomplete passes that did not involve Alonso who covered the opposite flat on one and hook zone on a deep attempt on the other.

3rd defensive series:

Plays#1: Makes the tackle but does fill the gap and awaits the contact allowing a 4 yard gain. Play #2: Does a nice job of undercutting the pulling lineman but fails wrap up. Hewitt, although from the other side of the formation, cleans up and makes the tackle for a loss.

[vine]5F5qnOE7LH6[/vine]

Play #3: DPI on McCain

Play #4: Hewitt is the one who ID's the run fit after the offensive motion (His intelligence that was pointed out by VJ shows here) and makes the tackle downfield after Alonso shoots and forces the run outside.
[vine]5F5OlMxJ631[/vine]

Play #5:
[vine]5F5e27Tladj[/vine]

Play #6: :idk:
[vine]5F5iJPTgYQ6[/vine]

End of the first quarter.

One quarter in the books with one tackle and no impact on the game whatsoever. Yes, it's only one quarter (and I explained my reasons for choosing it) but not my idea of a quality MLB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well agree or disagree with SOS, you're going to have to back you're **** up because he does it relentlessly...

2nd defensive series vs Chargers:

Play #1. Alonso is again a non factor by a deuce block from the LT.
[vine]5F57T1HzXlY[/vine]

The next two plays we're incomplete passes that did not involve Alonso who covered the opposite flat on one and hook zone on a deep attempt on the other.

3rd defensive series:

Plays#1: Makes the tackle but does fill the gap and awaits the contact allowing a 4 yard gain. Play #2: Does a nice job of undercutting the pulling lineman but fails wrap up. Hewitt, although from the other side of the formation, cleans up and makes the tackle for a loss.

[vine]5F5qnOE7LH6[/vine]

Play #3: DPI on McCain

Play #4: Hewitt is the one who ID's the run fit after the offensive shift (His intelligence that was pointed out by VJ shows here) and makes the tackle downfield after Alonso shoots but fails to make a play.
[vine]5F5OlMxJ631[/vine]

Play #5:
[vine]5F5e27Tladj[/vine]

Play #6: :idk:
[vine]5F5iJPTgYQ6[/vine]

End of the first quarter.

One quarter in the books with one tackle and no impact on the game whatsoever. Yes, it's only one quarter (and I explained my reasons for choosing it) but not my idea of a quality MLB.

Looks like #4 was the fault of Butler. He should have maintained the edge but got himself stuck inside the tackle. Alonso looks like he could have made the play if Butler doesn't give away the outside. Its a team sport

Thanks for the gifs. I'm sort of in the middle with Alonso. I get what hoops is saying that it could be worse, but it also seems like it could be a lot better. I think you do have to give him credit for those plays where he looks like a star in getting in position to make the play even if he doesn't because it often disrupts the play just enough for someone else to come in and finish.

The last play looks designed to come to alonsos side thus the wr flows down inside to crack alonso...the back redirects

Thats a good stun by alonso on the wr basically saying not on my watch...a lot of lbs never see that coming

whoever that is on the crack they got chump changed

Play #4 alonso has the middle gap and is run blitzing thats not on him at all

Play # 5 is an inside/outside weakside fill

Hewitt damn well better fill there otherwise he shouldnt be out there

I for the life of me dont understand why those 2 plays in the second gif are even on here...i guess cause he wasnt at the los making the tackle in one and he overran the other...but in the latter he forced the ball back inside to his help at or behind the los even it appears

Plays made by the upfield penetration of the de more than anything else

Looks like #4 was the fault of Butler. He should have maintained the edge but got himself stuck inside the tackle. Alonso looks like he could have made the play if Butler doesn't give away the outside. Its a team sport

I agree but there is also some one else missing from the picture for the run fits.

We'll look at this in two parts.

Presnap: The All22 shows that we're originally in Cover 1 but after the offensive motion (which I misidentified originally as a shift from the goaline cam) we shift to a Cover 2 shell and the CBs are in press. With the both safeties playing deep the CBs then become the secondary force defenders.
[vine]5F50lwO0AVw[/vine]

Postsnap: It's an inside zone run and with all inside zone runs there are three reads for the RB (Bang - inside, Bounce - outside, Bend - cutback). Alonso (scrap and fill defender), by shooting the playside A gap, kills the Bang read and Gordon then takes the Bounce read to the outside. Butler is the force LB and should be there to contain the RB, but Maxwell (strong & playside CB) also must do his job and crash down as well. Instead it appears as though he does everything possible to avoid any contact and lollygags down the field being a spectator on a 19 yard gain.
[vine]5F5LxuFrM3u[/vine]

Maxwell, and any CB in this defense, must be active in the run game, especially in our base Cover 2. Vance Joseph and Kevin Coyle run similar defenses with the main difference being the CB prototype. In Coyle's defense we saw off man coverage with click-n-close CBs like Brent Grimes. In Joseph's defense he features physical press CBs who also must provide run support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for the life of me dont understand why those 2 plays in the second gif are even on here...i guess cause he wasnt at the los making the tackle in one and he overran the other...but in the latter he forced the ball back inside to his help at or behind the los even it appears

Plays made by the upfield penetration of the de more than anything else

I thought I made it quite clear I was posting every defensive play (in this first quarter) and was not going to pick and choose which plays to post as to remove any bias and allow for a fair analysis and opinion on Alonso.

I thought I made it quite clear I was posting every defensive play (in this first quarter) and was not going to pick and choose which plays to post as to remove any bias and allow for a fair analysis and opinion on Alonso.

I missed that part

Back
Top Bottom