Joey Harrington | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joey Harrington

Right now i wouldnt say that Joey can make a just about any WR a threat like Brett Favre or Dan the Man could or you can even say Daunte might have even done.

Just to let you folks know. I watched all but a few Lions games that Harrington played in. Sure he had some bad games. Definatly could have played better at times. Might have helped to have WR's that weren't on the practice squad the week before but that's no excuse. Maybe if there running game was better then 2.7 per rush or some such poor stat that may have helped a passing game. The biggest thing I seen at Detroit was absolutly no seperation from WR's and the defenders, none.

It has been well noted throughout Harringtons stay in Detroit that Wr's were known for running the wrong routes, therefore, hesitation on throws, I guess to make sure he didn't look like a total idiot when the WR's made the wrong cut and Joey threw to a spot that was filled by a defender or no one at all.

Yea, Harrington was bad in Detroit, But IMO not because of his effort but from the lack of effort from his teammates. Teammates who constantly ran out of gas in the 2nd half. teammates who constantly couldn't pass block a High School team.

These guys that come in here and spout off about how bad Harrington was really just don't understand the game and only look at the stats and not the whole team as a unit or should I say a Uni. Harrington was the 1st the Practice and the last to leave most of the time. to place blame on him is real insanity.

yeah but Frerotte is at his peak, Harrington isnt, he's still young and has plenty of room to improve.

rafael said:
Harrington has never shown he's a gamer. The guy that can carry a team when there are breakdowns. Throughout his career he's put up Gus like numbers despite having way better physical skills. That's b/c he has way worse mental skills...
Have you noticed - it's getting rather quiet from the Joey Haters who were on a soapbox when he first got here. Other than our friends the Lions trolls of course... His play is shutting you guys up. But let's take a look at your arguments - "Not a gamer" and worse "mental skills" you say? :confused:

Evidently you didn't watch the game yesterday, or last week ... he came into the Tampa game and drove the team with 1.03 seconds on the clock for a Field Goal. Looked really sharp 5/7 on the drive with excellent clock management. Not bad under pressure.

The game before at Jacksonville he comes in COLD off the bench and immediately throws a TD - zipped between 3 defenders. His first shot as a Dolphin. First chance. How much more of a "gamer" do you WANT? I mean talk about pressure. He's proven your comments just absurd.

Want 1 more? OK - his last WIN as a Detroit Lion was at New Orleans, he engineered a clutch 60-yard, nine-play drive with less than 2 min. with key 45- and 15-yard throws including the winner at .23 seconds left to setup FG. Again I don't know what you consider a "gamer" but Joey Harrington is money.

In 3 of his last 4 games Joey Harrington has come up BIG in clutch situations - excellent mental skills - You must be talking about some other QB?? :tongue:

jdprock said:
I dont think Daunte can be any better than joey in the first game they are both coming off bad things.

A knee injury and an incompetent organization are not analogous.

DaveMalz08 said:
yeah but Frerotte is at his peak, Harrington isnt, he's still young and has plenty of room to improve.

Of course there's room to improve, especially now that Harrington is playing for a team that isn't run like a Chinese Communist-owned company. But the fact is he hasn't improved YET. At this point Harrington is about on par with Frerotte, not Culpepper. That is my entire point.

Desides said:
Except, it isn't. Basically what happened in Detroit is that Harrington was drafted with huge expectations. He couldn't live up to them because of institutionalized stupidity, constant instability (3 coaches in 4 years), and a barely-mediocre team. So he started catching flak for things that weren't his fault, because the quarterback is emblematic of a team, good or bad. Eventually he wanted out.

In three years we'll start hearing stories about how Lions fans keep trashing Kitna--assuming he's still there.
The Lions went 2-14 the year before Harrington joined them. That's one statistic you'll never hear from Lions fans who want to blame everything on Harrington. In case you missed it, that's 2-14. That's not "barely mediocre", that's big time suckage.

They managed to pick up what I think is some decent young talent since then but Mariucci did nothing to develop them. It will be interesting to see how all the young players who have recently escaped the Lions do elsewhere. I think they have a decent coaching staff now but we'll see if they can whip the team into shape before they get run of town.

No way will Kitna be starting for the Lions three years from now.

With Harrington its mental. He obviously has the physical tools needed but it hasn't clicked in his head yet. Every QB has problems dealing with blitzes and pressure right in his face. But you have to learn to make your reads and get rid of the ball quickly. You can't get happy feet and start looking at the rush. When you recognize it, you find the open man or the one on one. When Joey learns to go through his progressions and make quicker decisions, things will be a lot easier for him.

You found some nuggets where other Lions have lost games, but where (I defy you to find it) is the game JOEY WON by himself???
Find any game that any player won by himself. Football is a team sport. You can point to one guy as the difference when you lose a game because it only takes one guy to screw a play up and sometimes it only takes one screwed up play to lose a game. To make play after play work takes everyone or almost everyone doing the right things. All those QBs who "took the team on their backs and willed the team to win" had, at a minimum, guys blocking well a bunch of the time and WRs running good routes a bunch of the time.

i dont think we lose that much at all joey is a very good player and was looking pretty sharp to me so far in the preseason. i think he would be more than capable to step in to the starting role should daunte go down and do a really good job of it

Detroit or no Detroit, his regular-season performance isn't anything to write to the Hall of Fame about.
But that's the whole point--there hasn't been "no Detroit" yet.

Wake Up!

I'M GLAD WE HAVE JOEY BUT DON'T YOU THINK COACH SABAN KNOWS WHO ARE #1QB SHOULD BE AND THAT'S WHY WE GAVE UP A #2DRAFT FOR DAUNTE!:shakeno: :shakeno:

oh god. This thread makes me think how great it is to have a coach who gets enough talent into a position to generate a discussion like this one.

Harrington is playing much more than Daunte, and he's been showcased. One deep TD from Culpepper to Chambers and all the questions are over.

footballphin said:
Find any game that any player won by himself. Football is a team sport. You can point to one guy as the difference when you lose a game because it only takes one guy to screw a play up and sometimes it only takes one screwed up play to lose a game. To make play after play work takes everyone or almost everyone doing the right things. All those QBs who "took the team on their backs and willed the team to win" had, at a minimum, guys blocking well a bunch of the time and WRs running good routes a bunch of the time.

Thank you Jesus! Someone who understands the game! Please go on over to the Culpepper vs. Brady thread and help me explain this concept to them. You can't credit the win or loss of a game or an entire season on one player. But that is what everyone does with QBs. Offense is 1/3 of the game with defense and special teams the other 2/3. And the QB isn't throwing the ball for the whole time his 1/3 of the team is out there. I can't believe Dolphin fans think this way. Did you guys not see Marino play as well as he could and come up short every year? QB does not equal TEAM.

Ditto

Saban4prez said:
its not bad to say, theres a reason Joey's here, and theres a reason we traded for HIM specifically, and didn't jut draft someone late or pick up a free agent.

Saban got Joey because he thinks Joeys a good qb. Joeys here because if, god forbid, daunte does go down, we have a qb who can go in and win. All i can say is joey is doing things he simply did not do in detroit.

Namely, hes looking off defenders. He didn't do that well in detroit, but he seems to have it down now. He used to stare down his receviers until/ or if they got open. He doesn't do that now. I've seen him look off safeties on almost every play. Also, his touch has been impressive as well, the ball seems to land right in front of where the receive3rs are going, and his clock management skills seems to have increased also.

Hes a good ball player. Im happy to have him.

You nailed it!

Back
Top Bottom