Joey or Daunte | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joey or Daunte

I want to see Pep resurrect his career next year and i think he will.

the coordinator

i still think our coordinator is garbage--he has made some horrific calls that baffled me-------we can win with either. if rex grossman can do it i know we can. i think our defense has just gotten a hell of alot better because of the switch with some personnel and schemes that we didnt do at the begining of the year.

The competition next year will be as "open" as the Frerotte/Feeley competition. Saban brought Frerotte here to be his guy no matter how the "competition" ended, and the same can be said for Culpepper. IMO the only way Harrington is the starting QB is because Culpepper's health is still an issue. If that is the case, then we're in for another playoff-less season.

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
The next three games, with Joey starting, will help with that decision. If Joey can get past the "dumb play" he has had for most games of his career, then he could be an effective starter in Miami.

He would be a stronger armed version of what Wanny wanted, the management QB who won't hurt the team and lets the running game and defense do the heavy lifting.

I could live with that, if it means being a playoff team again.

Now, compare that to the upside of a Culpepper. At his best, a dynamic playmaker at QB, a threat to pass deep or run. Can Dante regain that next year, when he gets fully healthy? Or would Joey be the safer option?

Unless someone offers up a second rounder for either QB, I think you go into training camp with both and see what happens.

BTW, I'd love to see Ricky back. Yeah, you can't rely on him fully, but he would be awesome off the bench as a #2 RB and probably be closer to a 1A and 1B with Brown. Sounds good to me.

:dolphins:

Exactly my take on Harrington. He is the game management QB who has the physical attributes to make defenses play honest something Fiedler didnt possess. That is why he's acceptable to me, his arm.

I never liked Daunte's decision making process when he was in Minnesota but loved his arm and mobility. Now that he's hitting that 30 year old age his mobility would have started to decrease regardless of the injury but add the injury and a 30 year old body that doesnt heal like a 20 year old's and you have a quarterback who will have a great arm, decreased mobility and I suspect bad decision making.

I would feel safer with the good game manager QB with an arm to keep defenses honest than a potential Jeff George on our hands

If Daunte can prove he can manage the game effectively he should be the starter however. He'll be mobile enough to be effective in what should be an improved Offensive line next year. But he needs to become a cerebral quarterback in his slower body. I dont think he can do it but would love to be proven wrong

Jersey54 said:
I respectfully disagree with you. If they thought Culpeper looked better in camp, then clearly an error in judgement was made. This includes the fans and your truly. In camp with a lame leg is a far cry from regular season with a lame leg as we all painfully witnessed. Objectively speaking, CPep is a far cry from being on Harrington's level right now. I'm not sure that's going to change too much, either

Far cry from Joey right now? Have you been watching the games? Do you see the kind of improved line play that is in very large part due to the switch of McIntosh to LT and Shelton to RG? Daunte's completion % and YPA are still slightly higher than Joey's right now. Objectively speaking, I would say the only difference in their performance is that Joey has had more time to play and that is the only reason he has more yards and TDs. They both have one more INT than TDs. So where exactly is Daunte so far behind Joey in any kind QB play?

dplunk said:
Far cry from Joey right now? Have you been watching the games? Do you see the kind of improved line play that is in very large part due to the switch of McIntosh to LT and Shelton to RG? Daunte's completion % and YPA are still slightly higher than Joey's right now. Objectively speaking, I would say the only difference in their performance is that Joey has had more time to play and that is the only reason he has more yards and TDs. They both have one more INT than TDs. So where exactly is Daunte so far behind Joey in any kind QB play?

Oh I dunno, maybe the fact that this offense is averaging twice as many points per game with Joey. That is the object of the game afterall is it not, to score more points than the other team?

bluehaze said:
Oh I dunno, maybe the fact that this offense is averaging twice as many points per game with Joey. That is the object of the game afterall is it not, to score more points than the other team?

We are 26th in the league in points scored. That hasn't changed much all year long. And the defense has scored its fair share of points with Joey in there. The offensive production has not improved that much at all despite the increase in points per game since Joey has started.

Dolphins#99#54 said:
So for next season who do you guys want???

I want the one that will grow into a consistent playmaker.

Whichever one that is.

The competition NEEDS to be an open one.

We also need to pull the trigger on a QB in the draft if one we like is available. It's one of, if not THE most important position on the field and it's time this organization acts like it realizes that.

Trekbiz said:
I want the one that will grow into a consistent playmaker.

Troy Smith? :p

Trekbiz said:
We also need to pull the trigger on a QB in the draft if one we like is available. It's one of, if not THE most important position on the field and it's time this organization acts like it realizes that.

Troy Smith? :p

dplunk said:
We are 26th in the league in points scored. That hasn't changed much all year long. And the defense has scored its fair share of points with Joey in there. The offensive production has not improved that much at all despite the increase in points per game since Joey has started.
Come on dplunk...you are kidding right?

Points per game with Joey:
19.67 which would project to 16th in the league (256 points)

Points per game with Daunte:
12.75 which would project to 30th in the league (166 total points)

Yards per game with Joey:
344.33 which would leave Miami in a tie for 9th in the league

Yards per game with Daunte:
285.5 which would leave Miami 28th in the league

Then when you consider the defenses Daunte (4 losing teams...including a couple of teams that were giving up over 30 points per game at the time we played them) went up against vs Joey (6 winning teams and only 3 losing teams) is this really even up for debate?

dplunk said:

I believe the Ravens won the SuperBowl with a average QB....and offense....but had a great defense. So I don't really care about offensive stats....they look pretty....but you need a great defense and running game to win the big games.

RenoFinFan said:
Come on dplunk...you are kidding right?

Points per game with Joey:
19.67 which would project to 16th in the league (256 points)

Points per game with Daunte:
12.75 which would project to 30th in the league (166 total points)

Yards per game with Joey:
344.33 which would leave Miami in a tie for 9th in the league

Yards per game with Daunte:
285.5 which would leave Miami 28th in the league

Then when you consider the defenses Daunte (4 losing teams...including a couple of teams that were giving up over 30 points per game at the time we played them) went up against vs Joey (6 winning teams and only 3 losing teams) is this really even up for debate?

Its not as cut and dry as you guys are making it sound. There has been numerous times where the defense has scored off of turnovers (Chicago and Minnesota). There has also been numerous times where the defense has forced turnovers and given the offense great field position. You can't ignore the change in the offensive line and how that improved their play, along with Ronnie's play. The offense has been average at best since Joey took over. I'm not saying Joey has been bad. He has been decent. I just think the offense is still not productive enough and part of that is Joey.

fishypete said:
I believe the Ravens won the SuperBowl with a average QB....and offense....but had a great defense. So I don't really care about offensive stats....they look pretty....but you need a great defense and running game to win the big games.

I agree. Their offense was average, but they were able to run the ball decently. And their defense was one of the best ever. We have a very good defense, but not a great one. And it is an old defense as well. So we can't just assume we are going to have a great defense next year.

dplunk said:
Its not as cut and dry as you guys are making it sound. There has been numerous times where the defense has scored off of turnovers (Chicago and Minnesota). There has also been numerous times where the defense has forced turnovers and given the offense great field position. You can't ignore the change in the offensive line and how that improved their play, along with Ronnie's play. The offense has been average at best since Joey took over. I'm not saying Joey has been bad. He has been decent. I just think the offense is still not productive enough and part of that is Joey.

They have been effective enough to win 5 of the past 6 and three of those games have been against winning teams. That is more over winning teams than Daunte has had in the past "three" years. Yes, this includes his magical 2004 season.

Back
Top Bottom