Josh Rosen Trade Rumors: Dolphins in 'No Hurry' to Deal QB Despite Getting Calls | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Rosen Trade Rumors: Dolphins in 'No Hurry' to Deal QB Despite Getting Calls

I think it's safe to say they preferred rosen over available R2 options or the deal wouldn't have been made. Sadly, this thread will go on til Rosen is traded/cut or he starts or becomes a serviceable backup. OK< even if he becomes a serviceable backup, some will still complain

It's already a bad trade because Rosen couldn't even beat out Fitzpatrick last year and now he won't get the chance to become the starter with Tua here. So they basically traded a 2nd round pick for a backup QB. That's a terrible trade no matter how you try and justify it!

Last edited:
It's already a bad trade because Rosen couldn't even beat out Fitzpatrick last year and now he won't get the chance to become the starter with Tua here. So they basically traded a 2nd round pick for a backup QB. That's a terrible trade no matter how you try and justify it!
so will that same narrative apply if Fitz starts instead of tua

so will that same narrative apply if Fitz starts instead of tua

No because they drafted Tua and he will be the starter long term regardless if he starts this year or not. This will probably be Fitzpatrick's last year on the Dolphins and Tua will be the starter in 2021 regardless of what happens this year.

Last edited:
Couple of things as I see some mis-info posted.

You can't put Tua on IR/PUP for "a couple of games". If done so, the soonest he could play is the ninth game of the season. Josh Rosen is not eligible for the practice squad.

A team has to decide if they are willing to forfeit the season if their starting QB goes down. Otherwise they are going to have to spend more than the league average of 2 million per year for a better backup QB. Roughly 50% of the starting QB's do not play the entire season. Rosen is getting that 2 million a year. Is his potential worse than the average lower tier backup QB? Keep in mind many of these backup QB's were drafted highly so forget about the "wasted" 2nd round pick. Just judge him on something like would you rather have Chad Henne or Matt Moore for the same money.

IIRC this is the last year we can keep Jake Ruddock on the practice squad. Do you feel we should promote him to the active roster and cut/trade Rosen? This is Fitzs last year so a decision on backup QB has to be made. Either it is Rosen, Ruddock, or another draft pick is spent on that position. What choice do you make?

I'd rather roll with Rosen's and his potential upside vs spending another draft pick. You might feel differently. But lets not forget that Fitzs contract is up next year as well as Ruddocks practice squad eligibility.

Couple of things as I see some mis-info posted.

You can't put Tua on IR/PUP for "a couple of games". If done so, the soonest he could play is the ninth game of the season. Josh Rosen is not eligible for the practice squad.

A team has to decide if they are willing to forfeit the season if their starting QB goes down. Otherwise they are going to have to spend more than the league average of 2 million per year for a better backup QB. Roughly 50% of the starting QB's do not play the entire season. Rosen is getting that 2 million a year. Is his potential worse than the average lower tier backup QB? Keep in mind many of these backup QB's were drafted highly so forget about the "wasted" 2nd round pick. Just judge him on something like would you rather have Chad Henne or Matt Moore for the same money.

IIRC this is the last year we can keep Jake Ruddock on the practice squad. Do you feel we should promote him to the active roster and cut/trade Rosen? This is Fitzs last year so a decision on backup QB has to be made. Either it is Rosen, Ruddock, or another draft pick is spent on that position. What choice do you make?

I'd rather roll with Rosen's and his potential upside vs spending another draft pick. You might feel differently. But lets not forget that Fitzs contract is up next year as well as Ruddocks practice squad eligibility.
When does Rosen’s potential turn into actual performance? We can’t just keep saying ”top-ten pick” like it means something while he continues to play terrible. Like we always hear, there are plenty of tall guys with bigs arms that can’t play QB in the NFL. Only the coaching staff knows exactly where he is in his development but if he looks the same this year, it’s time to face facts.

Man this is fun. I totally expect the Dolphins to keep 3 QB’s because of the new expanded roster and Fitzpatrick’s age and Tua’s injury history. But y’all Rosen worshippers are killin me. ?

Last year the trade of Rosen for a 2nd and 5th was a no-brainer and I honestly still think I would be in favor of them making the trade if I had to go back in time and do it all over again. Also, as NY8123 perfectly put it, they basically traded the 48th pick of the second round in 2019, the 153rd pick of the fifth round in 2020 for Josh Rosen, and Raekwon Davis. Plus because the Cardinals guaranteed so much up front, they got Rosen for three years for a total just over $6 million. For a top 10 pick just a year prior, how do you pass that up?

I am maybe old school in that I love teams carrying three quarterbacks and not just two, so I like having Rosen cheap behind Fitz and Tua. I am not sure if Rosen will ever pan out as a starter in the NFL or ever even live up to half of what was expected of him entering the draft. But I truly do believe there is talent there and with my time, coaching and stability he can be somewhat successful. I personally would love to see him as the #3 this season and the #2 next season behind Tua. Who knows, maybe Rosen will feel more comfortable being a backup in Miami than pursuing competition jobs elsewhere and we could have a good long term back up for Tua.
This is exactly how I see it.

As a refresher, here is the direct quote from you: "I want Rosen off the team as soon as possible because I don't believe he can play and every rep Rosen takes is one less rep Tua gets on the path of his learning curve." You are saying that Rosen's presence is detrimental to Tua's future, and as such, you have validated my original post which you mocked as "laughable".

Ironically, am no believer in Rosen and was one of the very few on this site who hated the trade for him. However, he is here now and the team would be foolish not to try and get maximum value for him in a trade or through playing time. I am pulling for Tua, but let's at least see him survive at least one whole game at this level before we decide that any other QB on this roster is disposable.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were saying the coaching staff and front office felt that way. I see what you are saying about the fans, so I will admit to you that I do want Rosen off the team because I believe he is a waste of time and I do not want him taking a single rep away from Tua and his learning curve. The team can try and maximize Rosen's value, but I don't know how much value you will really be able to recoup by playing him a lot this preseason. I have so little faith in Rosen that he could just as likely tank his value even further by playing a lot this preseason.

Just because one does out of 1000 doesn't mean that ours is going to be that 1 in 1000.

Who are "too many" that have had the light bulb suddenly go on? I think you're full of hyperbole here.

Jim Plunkett...Terry Bradshaw...Drew Brees....Bob Griese....just to name a few.

There is 9 Super Bowl rings from four QB’s who all struggled in their first 2+ seasons.....

Hyperbole?

Suddenly explode. LOL.
Apparently you didn’t notice the season Henry had the year before. Or just selectively chose to ignore it.

I’ll go with the latter since it doesn’t fit the “instant RT became the Titans QB” narrative. Par for the course for the RT fanclub.

I’ll go ahead and reverse the question right back at you.

If Ryan Tannehill isn’t only a journeyman, if he’s something special, if he isn’t as easily replaceable as a telephone pole..... then why didn’t it work out in MIA? After getting 6 whole years of time, no less??

I mean, as I brought up before, Dan Marino didn’t have a problem proving himself to be elite despite often playing on flawed teams devoid of defense, running game, or an abundance of talent.

The Dolphins, of course, didn’t win SB’s but they won a lot more games than they lost under a truly great QB. However that surely wasn’t the case under RT. You know why? Because he has never been a difference maker. Enough said.

Now if you want to continue this discussion in an appropriately titled thread, be my guest. However, I won’t join you there to continue enabling a delusional mindset.

Have fun.
I can take this one on, Tannehill never had an OG that was pro level in his 6 years here. Every time they needed pressure they woul overload one Guard or the other and the second man up had a clear path to # 17. The Phins ****ed #17.

Don’t need too, Ryan can be a game manager...but he all too often didn’t make the plays when needed.

Last year I saw a game manager leading a stacked Tennessee team with the games top running back...and still fell short.
Admit it, you blame #17 not who really was the problem. Kid never had an OL.

The whole Rosen situation was mishandled from the start. If you are trading a 2nd round pick on a NFL player you play him. It seems like they gave up on him before he even played his first snap here when they traded LT. How ever you put it’s a waist of a 2nd round pick
Play a second rounder and sit a first, makes sense to me...

Back
Top Bottom