Josh Rosen Trade Rumors: Dolphins in 'No Hurry' to Deal QB Despite Getting Calls | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Josh Rosen Trade Rumors: Dolphins in 'No Hurry' to Deal QB Despite Getting Calls

I don't know why many don't just want RF to continue as backup for a couple more years. Why is Rosen the only option of the two in '21?

Probably has to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick's age. I personally think the backup QB behind Tua in 2021 isn't on the roster yet. I don't think Fitzpatrick or Rosen will be back after this season. I think Rosen will be traded at some point during this season or next offseason at the latest and Fitzpatrick will retire or move on to another team.

Sure but they can resign him. He's a dream backup with his capabilities.

Here is where I am. I know of few (none?) teams that don't have a vet QB on the roster. That vet presence is important. I can't see Miami rolling with TT, Rosen, and Ruduck(?). That's one factor in RF's favor. OTOH, it may be expensive to resign him, as I said, if he has a good showing in '20. This will be an interesting season.

Here is where I am. I know of few (none?) teams that don't have a vet QB on the roster. That vet presence is important. I can't see Miami rolling with TT, Rosen, and Ruduck(?). That's one factor in RF's favor. OTOH, it may be expensive to resign him, as I said, if he has a good showing in '20. This will be an interesting season.
With you 1 million % G.

The Patriots often draft a QB. They did draft Jimmy G in the second, but generally they get one in the third round (and basically we gave a third for Rosen). They had Brady so all were drafted to be backups. Generally they flip them later on.

I think it is reasonable to expect Flores felt Rosen was an opportunity. I think he would be happy to have him as a cheap backup for a few years and then flip him later on if an offer he can't refuse is made.

As I mentioned in another thread this is Fitz's last year under contract and Ruddock's last year of practice squad eligibility. You have to have somebody. Hard as it is for some here to buy we could do a lot worse than Rosen as a backup. You can't generally draft a QB with his prototypical size and potential at the end of the second round.

I certainly wouldn't be cutting my losses at this point in time. And I don't think he was traded for to become our starting QB. So for those of you that think the trade was a failure because he didn't become our starting QB, well you are entitled to your beliefs.

It was a failure unless there is some dramatic turnaround and kings ransom offered for his services.

Belichick gets a bit too much praise for his drafting strategies, even moreso lately when hes been dreadful. I never understood the drafting off all these QBs when he had Brady and could have used the picks to bolster skill positions. Is it really a good return on investment drafting a player with a second round pick, getting all of two starts out of him in three years, and then trading him for another second rounder? The Cassel pick made sense....the rest not so much.

The Rosen trade for the same reason must be seen as a failure, unless he turns out to be the future starter or shows enough to entice some team to offer a first rounder or better in return. Neither of those scenarios look all that likely at the moment. Backup QBs on teams with a franchise signal caller do not have much value. Except for in some rare cases like with Foles in Philly the dropoff is going to be severe enough that the team isn't going anywhere without the man under center.

I find it hard to accept either argument that the Rosen trade can be justified because he has value as an asset or in the backup role he fills. I thought it was a good idea at the time and still think it was a worthwhile risk given his talent. Odds are its going to end up looking pretty bad though.

It was a failure unless there is some dramatic turnaround and kings ransom offered for his services.

Belichick gets a bit too much praise for his drafting strategies, even moreso lately when hes been dreadful. I never understood the drafting off all these QBs when he had Brady and could have used the picks to bolster skill positions. Is it really a good return on investment drafting a player with a second round pick, getting all of two starts out of him in three years, and then trading him for another second rounder? The Cassel pick made sense....the rest not so much.

The Rosen trade for the same reason must be seen as a failure, unless he turns out to be the future starter or shows enough to entice some team to offer a first rounder or better in return. Neither of those scenarios look all that likely at the moment. Backup QBs on teams with a franchise signal caller do not have much value. Except for in some rare cases like with Foles in Philly the dropoff is going to be severe enough that the team isn't going anywhere without the man under center.

I find it hard to accept either argument that the Rosen trade can be justified because he has value as an asset or in the backup role he fills. I thought it was a good idea at the time and still think it was a worthwhile risk given his talent. Odds are its going to end up looking pretty bad though.
So, rolling the dice on Rosen was a bad idea? I mean, I honestly don't care if it failed. I think having more swings is more important for the Dolphins right now. There's no guarantee, given the history of high QB picks in this league, that Tua won't be a bust. It seems unlikely, but so did a sad slew of others drafted with his pedigree, or better.

The way I see it, failure must be viewed as a part of the effort to find the right QB for this team. Anyone who knows the draft reasonably well realizes there are often better odds playing poker. :shrug:

I get your point, but there have been many NFL players who made a career as backup or rotational. I doubt many teams would call them "failures." Even at QB, after the cost (draft/trade) is behind them, a team's estimation of worth is seen by their remaining on the roster. Will Rosen be on the roster in September or in '22, or will he get a decent return in trade? No one knows, but making the judgement now is premature. even then, Miami may judge his price as worth the risk.

To me Rosens worth around 5 rd pick..he is more of backup than. Starter at this point.

So, rolling the dice on Rosen was a bad idea? I mean, I honestly don't care if it failed. I think having more swings is more important for the Dolphins right now. There's no guarantee, given the history of high QB picks in this league, that Tua won't be a bust. It seems unlikely, but so did a sad slew of others drafted with his pedigree, or better.

The way I see it, failure must be viewed as a part of the effort to find the right QB for this team. Anyone who knows the draft reasonably well realizes there are often better odds playing poker. :shrug:

Is easy to say it was a bad idea in hindsight. At the time I thought it was a worthwhile gamble, but if I had a better understanding of who he was as a player my opinion may have been different.

I just think the attitude that it is ok to throw away a second rounder is what ends up dooming franchises, and I hope its not something that becomes pervasive with this management group. I understand the odds but at the same time there is little more valuable to a team than someone like Metcalf, taken a couple picks after the one that was traded and now a starting wideout on year two of a four year bargain. Those are the players that allow teams to sustain contender status.

I'm all for the gambler's mindset in taking chances on greatness. Noah could become a great CB, and having that kind of talent around for the next five years is a boon for this team. I hope this front office keeps that mindset along with the ability to learn from their mistakes and adjust accordingly. If Tua works out and looks to be the franchise centerpieces and they're still following that Patriots' approach of throwing second and third rounders at backup QBs I'll be very disappointed. The occasional 7th on some overlooked prospect I'm good with.

I get your point, but there have been many NFL players who made a career as backup or rotational. I doubt many teams would call them "failures." Even at QB, after the cost (draft/trade) is behind them, a team's estimation of worth is seen by their remaining on the roster. Will Rosen be on the roster in September or in '22, or will he get a decent return in trade? No one knows, but making the judgement now is premature. even then, Miami may judge his price as worth the risk.

I don't buy that argument and I think its a dangerous approach to take in looking at all past transactions as sunk cost. Garoppolo is a good QB, was a great backup in NE, and they were able to recoup decent value via trade instead of losing him outright. Most view that as a good pick. I see the next guy selected and wonder what kind of damage the Brady/Landry connection could have wrought for all those years Jimmy was sitting on the sideline.

In my mind simply being on the roster does not equate to a value add.

I say develop him and let him play out his rookie contract. I doubt we’d find a better backup for the price to keep him. He’s familiar with the locker room, he has upside, and let we heard he was still excited to be here. I’d feel a lot more comfortable knowing we had a guy like that to back up Tua next year.

Ryan Fitzpatrick did all he could do for Miami last year, which honestly wasn't that much outside of heaving 50/50 balls to DVP at the end of the year.

Some of you guys are way too nostalgic over nothing.

I don't buy that argument and I think its a dangerous approach to take in looking at all past transactions as sunk cost. Garoppolo is a good QB, was a great backup in NE, and they were able to recoup decent value via trade instead of losing him outright. Most view that as a good pick. I see the next guy selected and wonder what kind of damage the Brady/Landry connection could have wrought for all those years Jimmy was sitting on the sideline.

In my mind simply being on the roster does not equate to a value add.

You seem to have a high bar separating success/failure. Different strokes.

Back
Top Bottom