Judging Feeley and our offensive for last years performance is absurd…at this point | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Judging Feeley and our offensive for last years performance is absurd…at this point

TARHEEL38 said:
DID WHAT?? All he did in college or pro has been to hold a clip board or throw interceptions at an unprecedented pace. Gvie me a break. He played 4 games in Philly behind a GREAT OL and with teams that didn't have anything to use to prepare for him. Now every team in the league knows the way to beat him is blitz him and he will throw it to the other team.

He got injured in college, Hello Joey Harrington.

The big blitz, maybe if they give him audiables and some dang hot routes the blitz wouldn't be such a factor. You failed to notice that though, since your hatred for him blinds it. Were some of the pics his fault? Yes. If the Offense didn't run the same play no matter what the Defense showed maybe he would have done better.

No matter what defenses showed us last year, we would not audiable or have recievers run hot routes for when we were blitzed. I mean really, this is not high school football. You can't just pick a play and stick with it, sometimes you gotta change the play (at the line) or the defense will eat you alive.

Linehan will do that with AJ. So I hold my judgement of AJ until after he gets a fair shake. And don't bring up Philly, he played 4 games there. Most QB's take a full year of game time before they start to get good.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
PS

Marino was not mobile, but shifty and had great footwork, he felt the rush and stepped up in the pocket and still found his man! AJ would panic and throw it to the Pat Wiliams of the world!

Please don't bring up Marino and Feeley and try and compare!

Wow get called out and state apples and oranges. guess feeley had Marinos o-line last year right? You know the one in his hey day that allowed less than 20 sacks a season? Please swallow the bitter pill that Saban DID NOT draft a qb and hope AJ proves to be what he needs to rather than being right.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
No not really, I hope he makes it! But what gets me sick is all the people sticking up for Feeley now, and using the same excuses as others used for Jay, but then it was not okay!

The guy point blank stunck last year overall. It's all in his hands now! Enough with the excuses, he needs to step up and play well, and I have my doubts.

Diff is 3 of the 4 years Jay was here he had a 1000 yd back. !800 and 1400 w/ Ricky. He aslos had an o-line that at least had cohesion. NOONE is saying AJ is great, everyone is saying it is unfair to judge him based solely on last year. Cant compare apples to oranges. Yes he needs to step up, it is up to him how he takes advantage of teh opportunity, but he deserves a chance.

Shifty187 said:
What will be your excuse when Feeley cant get the job done with much better coaching, an improved OL and a stud RB?:rolleyes:

The Eagles raped us!

End of story...

end of your story maybe, but thankfully I dont have to listen to yours.

BlueFin said:
Obviously that will happen , we have seen this same diatribe over and over.

AJ will have to step up and show consistency or he will quickly go the way of Jay Fiedler under Saban.......he will not waste five years on him like Wannstedt did Fiedler.

My biggest questions regarding AJ is whether he makes good decisions or not?, can he read defenses? Does he go thru his progressions?

I saw way to much of him locking on to receivers last year and throwing into coverage. There also was the issue of how difficult it was for him to learn the playbook......there have been rumors of players privately saying he is not the sharpest knive in the knive drawer.

Now I realize many will come back with a fifty excuses as to why he played the way he did last year.....so don't waste your time, I've heard them all. He's going to get a chance to win the starters job and we'll see what happens.

50 excuses, 50 against I understand your point. But just as you listen to excuses for why he played bad, We listen to 50 excuses why you and others dont like him. Key word is that each side thinks they are more objective than the other, which aint teh case.

rickeyrunsover said:
Wow get called out and state apples and oranges. guess feeley had Marinos o-line last year right? You know the one in his hey day that allowed less than 20 sacks a season? Please swallow the bitter pill that Saban DID NOT draft a qb and hope AJ proves to be what he needs to rather than being right.

Hey, I asked where you were about 10 pages ago, I knew you could not pass this one up!!! :wink:

I didn't bring up the Marino thing some else did, I just said you can't compare them!

rickeyrunsover said:
Diff is 3 of the 4 years Jay was here he had a 1000 yd back. !800 and 1400 w/ Ricky. He aslos had an o-line that at least had cohesion. NOONE is saying AJ is great, everyone is saying it is unfair to judge him based solely on last year. Cant compare apples to oranges. Yes he needs to step up, it is up to him how he takes advantage of teh opportunity, but he deserves a chance.

You know we have argued about this for months, but I have never said he does not deserve a chance. I have said I have some big doubts. But I have also said I hope he proves me wrong in each of our little spats also. :wink:

themole said:
You have no foundation whatsoever to base that statement on! Other than a obvious bias against Feely. Both potential starters are coming into a situation that could be just like it was last year concerning the OL. If Hudson Houck can work magic on the OL of last year, then the QB coach should be able to develope the potential of AJ Feely. NOTHING we have right now is a given. It's all based on potential. AJ has just as much upside as Gus. My point is...for the teams sake..I hope it's AJ, because he is younger.

Just like what I said, this is simply opinion. What has Feeley done to prove he has more upside than Gus. Gus has been to the pro bowl and had been decent over the course of his career. Gus is actually better than Brad Johnson(IMO) and he won a SB. Hudson Houck is a proven offensive line coach. Jason Garret was mostly a 3rd string QB, turned QB coach. There are no similarities at this point between the two.
I don't have a bias against Feeley other than it's pretty obvious the guy doesn't have what it takes. Just like with Fiedler, this team will do no better than a 1st round playoff exit with him at QB. I think we'd do much better with Gus. But neither is the long term answer.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
You know we have argued about this for months, but I have never said he does not deserve a chance. I have said I have some big doubts. But I have also said I hope he proves me wrong in each of our little spats also. :wink:

Yep and until we see for sure one way or the other we will be arguing still. :rofl:

I cant go on at work anymore so just found the thread. But yeah love the qb argument. Favorite position. I hope I am right as weel, if I am wrong, then the team suffers.

SCall13 said:
Just like what I said, this is simply opinion. What has Feeley done to prove he has more upside than Gus. Gus has been to the pro bowl and had been decent over the course of his career. Gus is actually better than Brad Johnson(IMO) and he won a SB. Hudson Houck is a proven offensive line coach. Jason Garret was mostly a 3rd string QB, turned QB coach. There are no similarities at this point between the two.
I don't have a bias against Feeley other than it's pretty obvious the guy doesn't have what it takes. Just like with Fiedler, this team will do no better than a 1st round playoff exit with him at QB. I think we'd do much better with Gus. But neither is the long term answer.

I understand your concerns with Feeley but Gus has NO upside, Gus is Gus and aint getting any better, he is teh qb noone even thought of trading for. He was let walk from 4 teams, that doesnt say upside to me. Hey I like AJ, but admit he is far from a sure thing, but Gus is a journeyman and is no long term solution, he is a year or 2 at most stopgap. Because he played 4 good games in a highpowered, well functioning offense doesnt discount his inability to beat out the likes of ty detmer, heath shuler, trent green, before Green could really play, before he had any experience. Sorry no way I buy off on Gus.

inFINSible said:
Feeley has almost as quick of a release as Dan did. In other words, it's way above average. They compare quite favorably in that aspect of their game.
But there nowhere near each other if you compare their success, wins, and stats.

rickeyrunsover said:
I understand your concerns with Feeley but Gus has NO upside, Gus is Gus and aint getting any better, he is teh qb noone even thought of trading for. He was let walk from 4 teams, that doesnt say upside to me. Hey I like AJ, but admit he is far from a sure thing, but Gus is a journeyman and is no long term solution, he is a year or 2 at most stopgap. Because he played 4 good games in a highpowered, well functioning offense doesnt discount his inability to beat out the likes of ty detmer, heath shuler, trent green, before Green could really play, before he had any experience. Sorry no way I buy off on Gus.

I already said, in numerous posts in this thread, that neither QB is long term. He eventually did take over in Washington. One of the primary reasons he didn't beat out Shuler was because Washington was doing like a lot of NFL teams back then: throwing the QB in to learn "on the job". You don't bench a high pick QB. BUt Gus was better than Shuler without a doubt which is evident since Gus is still in the NFL and Shuler is on the couch. Sure, Gus would be a stop gap. I'm not going to argue against that at all. Yes, Gus played great in that 4 game span. And he also went to the pro bowl in a year that Washington had an offense to play to his strengths. Linehan runs an offense that also plays to Gus' strengths. Feeley has a LONG way to go. And in Linehan's system, as much as he likes to pass, Feeley is going to have to really learn alot (WAY MORE THAN LAST YEAR'S OFFENSE) and impress the coaches and cut way down on his bone headed mistakes. If he can't do that in camp, then I say Gus starts - even if it's just to let Feeley learn more under his wing, so to speak. This team gave up a low 1st rounder (basically) for Feeley and his big money kicks in next season. So he has a lot to prove and fast.

inFINSible said:
Don't you guys think that if Feeley came in here and ruined the team single handedly, we all would be more than happy to run him out of town?

The fact remains that there were INFINITE reasons that this team crashed and burned last year and Feeley may or may not have been one of them.

Obviously, Saban feels that he wasn't a main cause of the wreckage.
Would we race him out of town if he doesnt do good this year?? Now that theres a new system around him with better players on offense hes ran out of escuses to fail next year. If he fails this upcoming year Im getting my pitch fork :D

islandah said:
So Lamar Gordon should be really p o'd that we took a RB without giving him a fair shot.

Apples to apples remember? Qb and rb are diff. 2 rbs play, Sban has said he wants multiple backs. You dont start 2 qbs.

SCall13 said:
I already said, in numerous posts in this thread, that neither QB is long term. He eventually did take over in Washington. One of the primary reasons he didn't beat out Shuler was because Washington was doing like a lot of NFL teams back then: throwing the QB in to learn "on the job". You don't bench a high pick QB. BUt Gus was better than Shuler without a doubt which is evident since Gus is still in the NFL and Shuler is on the couch. Sure, Gus would be a stop gap. I'm not going to argue against that at all. Yes, Gus played great in that 4 game span. And he also went to the pro bowl in a year that Washington had an offense to play to his strengths. Linehan runs an offense that also plays to Gus' strengths. Feeley has a LONG way to go. And in Linehan's system, as much as he likes to pass, Feeley is going to have to really learn alot (WAY MORE THAN LAST YEAR'S OFFENSE) and impress the coaches and cut way down on his bone headed mistakes. If he can't do that in camp, then I say Gus starts - even if it's just to let Feeley learn more under his wing, so to speak. This team gave up a low 1st rounder (basically) for Feeley and his big money kicks in next season. So he has a lot to prove and fast.

Yes he won teh job in Wash, but he lost it almost as quick. They tried trent green and any other qb they could. AJ may not be the future, but at least there is a chance. Gus has no chance. You can say that Saban didnt draft a qb because who he wanted was gone at the time he drafted, but he had several chances to draft a qb and he could have made it a priority. McPherson in teh 4th would not have been a reach, yet he passed, he passed on Orton, Greene (in thr rd prior to him being drafted), Frye in the second. Obviously he didnt see them as better than what we have. If he saw ZERO potential in AJ, anyone of them would have been worth the pick.

Back
Top Bottom