Just re-watched last year's Denver game..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Just re-watched last year's Denver game.....

DolphinzD

Boom!! How you like that??
Reaction score
The main reason I watched the game was just to refresh myself on one of the most exciting games in recent Dolphins history, but I noticed some other things as I watched:

1) Mark Royals was not very good in that game. He did have a nice one that got downed at the one, but that was only because of Trent Gamble's acrobatic jump into the endzone to save it. Royals shanked a 13-yarder at one point, and late in the game when the Dolphins needed to pin the Broncos, they even took a delay of game penalty to give him more room, and he still boomed it into the endzone. Had we pinned them there, the last-second field goal antics might not even have happened.

2) I really liked what I saw from Griese. I know he threw a couple of picks, but those were great reads and plays by the best CB duo in football. Most of his balls were right on the money, and he did a great job of driving the team down the field for what would have been the game-winning field goal, until we answered.

3) Jay Fiedler-wow. You can't say enough for his heart and determination on that last drive, playing with a broken thumb and all. I think our QB situation is in good hands if a controversy doesn't break out (I know, a big if there).

4) This was Oronde Gadsden's last game before his "season-ending" injury. Say what you will about his attitude and contract situation, but the guy can still make plays. He had some huge first-down catches, including a crucial one on a third down when we were trying to run out the clock, and had we gotten one more first down on that drive, the game would have been over at that point.

I'm sure that's stuff you guys already know, but I just thought I would mention it.

I was at that game. 3 rows up at about the 30 yard line. It was awesome. The funniest thing about it was that half the Bronco fans were in the parking lot when Mare kicked the game winner. I was also at the Marino-Elway 30-26 win back in the 80's, and the opening week Dolphins win in Griese's first start as a Bronco. The Dolphins and Broncos didn't play for many years unfortunately. Also unfortunately, I attended the playoff massacre against the Broncos a few years ago. I was, however, lucky enough to be in Orlando visiting my parents for christmas during the late season monday night Marino-Elway game (another dolphin win and my only game at pro-player). I was able to attend every regular season and playoff game between Marino and Elway. I have a frame with the ticket stubs and both players rookie cards on them.

Griese does hit a good amount of his throws. He has a high completion percentage. But that is misleading. The guy rarely attacks down field. Watch the game again and take note how many times he throws the ball past 10 yards. Count the times that he throws short of the first down.

The Broncos made a lot of mistakes that game. Portis fumbled at the one yard line. There was a holding penality that took the field goal off the board at the end of the half. It may be unfair to Griese, but his mistakes seem to stand out the most about that game. One of his picks was pretty much all his fault. The one where he was scrambling, than tried to force the ball into MacCaffrey, who had two defenders standing infront of him. I don't see how Griese didn't think that pass wasn't going to get picked. The other pick was a good read by the CB. He jumped the slant and picked it. But at the same time, it was easy to see the slant coming. Griese throws that way too much.

I like Fiedler's fire a lot more. He doesn't throw a pretty pass like Griese, but he can make plays when they are needed.

Take a look at the Al Wilson hit on Williams. Let us know where he hit him. Like I've said here before, it was helmet to chest.

I recall one overthrow by Griese in that game and a couple of other throws that were off target. Greise has alot of improvement to make but I think he can.

Yeah, the Wilson hit on Williams was helmet to chest. What was really impressive about that hit was not the the hit itself, but the fact that while Wilson was celebrating and all that, Ricky just got up like nothing had happened and went back to the huddle. He was barely on the ground at all. He's such a warrior; I love watching him. His first touchdown was pretty sweet, where he hit a defender before the goaline and pretty much knocked him right into the endzone.

Another thing about the game that still amazes me is how Shanahan tried to complain after the game that Kennedy's hit wasn't dirty. It does look like in the replay that Chambers' helmet got pushed down, and thus Kennedy didn't intend for it to be helmet-to-helmet, but the fact remains that he was still leading with his head and it was an outright spear. Kennedy had already been fined earlier in the year for a dirty hit.

True, Griese didn't take a lot of shots down the field, but that may have been the gameplan. At least, that's what the announcers said when they diagrammed where his passes were being thrown. But then again, how much do the announcers know about that stuff? Personally I like Fiedler better too, and he has thrown some really nice deep passes to Chambers and McKnight in the past. With that kind of speed in our WR's, we really ought to throw more deep balls. I know McKnight doesn't have the greatest hands in the world, but even a missed deep ball can open up the field even more for Ricky.

I loved that game it was on ESPN and I remember how the Bronco fans were all so happy when they scored their FG. Then when we got down field it was late and I went to my parents room (not much into football just say go dolphins because I do) and my bro was there and we all saw the FG fly over we all jumped up and down. I loved it. Plus the Bronco fans faces of depression was great.

That game was probably the most memorable since the Colts playoff game(talk about a comeback!)

Originally posted by booyeah_
That game was probably the most memorable since the Colts playoff game(talk about a comeback!)

Speaking about comebacks, did you guys re-watch the last Pats-fins game last year? :D

Yea that game last year was pretty awesome but i think that dolphin raiders game in 2001 is equally impressive. It was right after 9/11 and emotions were high. They had a big celebration before the game, and coaches and players had tears in their eyes. I mean it was an emotional game, players and coaches were fired up, and the way Jay won the game for us, but taking it himself and diving in the endzone was amazing. I love the still photo of jay laying in the endzone with a raiders defender on him, and jay with one fist pumped in the air screaming, celebrating. Just an amazing game and finish!

I wish I still had that game on tape.. hmmm, maybe it's on Kazaa..

I may have to resort to watching last season's Inside the NFL.. Just as good and you can hear Mad Dog and Mo Howard on the Dolphin highlight replays.

Originally posted by justafan

Speaking about comebacks, did you guys re-watch the last Pats-fins game last year? :D

I did and I loved it.... it's up and it's GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey justa.. i did right after I watched norwood miss that kick.. oh and before that the classic music city miracle.. ahhh what great memories.

Originally posted by aquaman
Hey justa.. i did right after I watched norwood miss that kick.. oh and before that the classic music city miracle.. ahhh what great memories.

That was too far for me to remember. I like that Pats-fins game better. It's still fresh and more recent.

nyrican.. wow what a shock you appear to be just as bright as the typical nyrican jet fan.. welcome ..now get out.

Thats funny being a bills fan I guess you just develop tough skin .. i mean like you are used to being a loser..sad

Back
Top Bottom