Keith Newman LB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keith Newman LB

The Vikings let him go because they're going to run the cover 2 scheme, and Newman doesn't fit in that scheme. Just another solid pickup by Saban.

There have been a couple of other threads on this guy over the weekend. One had a long quote by him regarding the Vikes and how he was used. Seems like he got sideways with Viking management and thay didn't choose to re-sign him. He has likely not been signed yet in free agency because he was rehabbing and couldn't work out. Not only has he got good stats as a pass rusher but also he has shown some ability to drop back. He is a 3-4 SLB primarily. He would add depth and flexibility to a LB corps which is a little thin of veterans.

icephinfan said:
Good question, I'd like to see him in as a SLASH type player.

yeah, i agree to that, i would like to see him with some trickplays on the field...

average LB at best.

its best if he is used to add depth.

ch19079 said:
average LB at best.

its best if he is used to add depth.
He is a solid linebacker, hes better than any linebacker on the Bills except for Spikes.

Newman was not only the best Viking LB, but he was probably their best defensive player the past 2 seasons. He was also a solid player with the Bills. He is an excellent pickup. I wouldn't be surprised if Culpepper recruited him over.

Anthony D. said:
I say sign the guy right away and trade Eddie Moore for a double cheezeburger and a large fry.

:lol:you think we can get that?

I surely wish we could have made that move with Watson and Moore, but alas, another Wanny pick screwed this team again...At any rate, Newman could compete. He's been a starter. He's not quite as good as Spraghan against the run and not as good as Hodge against the pass and is about the same in the pass rush sense as both of those guys...Will at least push and would be an upgrade to Moore...

LarryFinFan said:
I surely wish we could have made that move with Watson and Moore, but alas, another Wanny pick screwed this team again...At any rate, Newman could compete. He's been a starter. He's not quite as good as Spraghan against the run and not as good as Hodge against the pass and is about the same in the pass rush sense as both of those guys...Will at least push and would be an upgrade to Moore...
Newman is a way better pass rusher than Hodge and Spragan. Thats what hes being brought in for. Hes in the Arrington mold.

Its interesting that 3 of these candidates for the OLB position all have their own strength...

Best vs the Run: Spragan
Best in Coverage: Hodge
Best Pass Rusher: Newman

Back
Top Bottom