Keith Newman LB | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Keith Newman LB

Brsdd said:
Newman was not only the best Viking LB, but he was probably their best defensive player the past 2 seasons. He was also a solid player with the Bills. He is an excellent pickup. I wouldn't be surprised if Culpepper recruited him over.

:confused: :confused: :confused: I think you boys have your former Bills LBers on the Vikings confused. Sam Cowart might qualify as "the best Viking LB" but I don't think Newman was. If he's one of your starting LBs this season, you best wait a bit before you start planning your Super Bowl XLI party 'cause it's going to be a long season for your D!

Why laugh? He excels rushing the passer, like Arrington. Nowhere did he compare the two players in terms of ability, just in style.

Kinzua said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: I think you boys have your former Bills LBers on the Vikings confused. Sam Cowart might qualify as "the best Viking LB" but I don't think Newman was. If he's one of your starting LBs this season, you best wait a bit before you start planning your Super Bowl XLI party 'cause it's going to be a long season for your D!

JP Losman... :lol:

So, having one mediocre LB starting is going to dictate our success?

Dolfan1000 said:
JP Losman... :lol:

So, having one mediocre LB starting is going to dictate our success?

I think at this point in his career Keith Newman is less than "mediocre" as a starter. He's a depth player. If he's the best on your team at his position, then that's not good, and certainly not good enough to make a serious challenge for the Super Bowl.

Newman had 42 tackles in 13 games last season. Compare that to Zach Thomas with 158 (14), Jonathan Vilma 169 (16), London Fletcher 157 (16), Angelo Crowell 119 (15), Sam Cowart 85 (15 -- Minnesota), and Channing Crowder 84 (16) -- a rookie!!! Either Newman didn't play much in those 13 games or he didn't play well or a combination of the two. My suspicion is that he played ST and backup.

Some posters here are acting like he's a first rate LB. Even Minnie's D wasn't so bad that Newman was the "best LB on the Vikes".

Fact is, having Zach Thomas, Channing Crowder and Jason Taylor as 3 of our 4 LBs in a 3-4, a depth-type guy like Newman or Spragan or Hodge as the fourth LB really will have nothing to do with the ultimate success of this team. He will come into the games during certain situations to rush the passer, and he will play ST.

Nobody is saying he is a first rate LB, but this late in the offseason, for a cheap contract, its a solid signing.

Dolfan1000 said:
He started for the Vikings until getting injured.

Check out his stats at NFL.com... Quite decent, considering how late in FA this is and how inexpensive (I assume) he will be.

Saban rules. Were Wanny and Spielman smoking something, is Saban just that much a cut above the rest, or is it both?

Kinzua said:

So one guy is going to make our season a very long season? Did you forget we managed to somehow win 9 games with Gus. This team will not allow for just one position or one player; be our downfall..

The newman signing will be for veteran depth rather than filling a whole. Newman is not a better alternative to Spragan or Hodge, but he has the playing experience that neither do have.

Drew also said T.O. is a great guy, just misunderstood.

GOD, I'm sorry for mentioning ^ that guy!

Kinzua said:
I think at this point in his career Keith Newman is less than "mediocre" as a starter. He's a depth player. If he's the best on your team at his position, then that's not good, and certainly not good enough to make a serious challenge for the Super Bowl.

Newman had 42 tackles in 13 games last season. Compare that to Zach Thomas with 158 (14), Jonathan Vilma 169 (16), London Fletcher 157 (16), Angelo Crowell 119 (15), Sam Cowart 85 (15 -- Minnesota), and Channing Crowder 84 (16) -- a rookie!!! Either Newman didn't play much in those 13 games or he didn't play well or a combination of the two. My suspicion is that he played ST and backup.

Some posters here are acting like he's a first rate LB. Even Minnie's D wasn't so bad that Newman was the "best LB on the Vikes".

Minnies linebacker core was messed up last year..they had so much depth...Napoleon Harris, Dontarious Thomas, Newman, Cowart, Henderson..and they run a Cover 2 so that isnt really Newmans fortey playing in a cover 2 D but he still did perform for how much he played

PhinFan8589 said:
The newman signing will be for veteran depth rather than filling a whole. Newman is not a better alternative to Spragan or Hodge, but he has the playing experience that neither do have.

Actually, Spraghan and Hodge both have enough experience to start if needed. Newman is a depth signing and you are right, he's probably not a better alternative to the other two...

LarryFinFan said:
Actually, Spraghan and Hodge both have enough experience to start if needed. Newman is a depth signing and you are right, he's probably not a better alternative to the other two...

Like I have said, they each excel at one aspect of the position... Spragan is best vs the run, Hodge is best in coverage and Newman is the best pass rusher.

Back
Top Bottom