Kelly: Dolphins have as much talent as any other AFC East team, so bar should be set higher for Flores in 2020 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kelly: Dolphins have as much talent as any other AFC East team, so bar should be set higher for Flores in 2020

If Brian Flores is as good as he was in 2019, it'll be some sort of confirmation he's going to be on hell of a Head Coach. He is the key to how much this team improves. He has won the players over and now has many former players on the team who know his system. This bodes well for the entire roster. Miami has lots of potential but will eventually give way to experience. That's when I believe the Miami Dolphins will start taking the league by storm. 2021 is when it's quite possible we fans see a huge improvement and finally start seeing enormous production from such a young roster.

Miami has added the most talent but they have not reached Buffalo and NE roster wise just yet.

Not to mention that none of these guys have played together or played in the NFL at all.

Tap the brakes there people............

And i agree that I would not put it past Omar to overrate them just so he can poor mouth them later.

I doubt he has any real "sources" inside the team(if he ever did)so I could see him taking an even more antagonistic approach to the team.

Even WHEN they start winning.

There's a lot of similarities between the Chicago Bears and the Buffalo Bills. Both teams are immensely talented, especially on defense, but are probably being held back due to their choice at QB. Allen isn't an accurate QB and it was true in college and his first two years in the NFL. Also it was apparent in both games last year that Flores looked like the better coach than McDermott. If Grier nailed this offseason and closed the talent gap, it will be even more prevalent.

I think NE is good for at least 6 games just off Belichick and that Defense alone, but that offense takes years to learn and Cam Newton or Stidham will take time to master; Hoyer is probably collecting a check this season to help the other QBs grasp the system. That offense is extremely more complex than the one Cassel ran in 2008. If you recall Flores fired Oshea in part because of how complex the system he brought from New England was for the players to grasp.

There's an opportunity to be better this year and we should have raised expectations.

I just disagree when it comes to a BB coached offense. They pared down that offense despite the massive amount of talent they had at the time, to help Cassel.

Raised expectations vs unreal expectations equal disappointment no matter how you slice it. They should be better but I do not neccesarily think it equals 10 wins.

Though you make very good points, Miami with nothing last year reached 2 and a 1/2 to 5 times more win then the majority of the football watching world expected...this year Miami has talent, youth, and in many places good to great experience.

As far as winning double digits with Matt Cassel, don't forget that Miami also won double digits that year, won the east, and did it with a limited Pennington, whose arm was so weak from coming back from Surgery, teams allowed deep passes by playing close and forcing Miami to have to implement the Wildcat offense to win.

I can't believe i'm saying this, but I agree with Omar Kelly, Miami does need to expect more from it's players and coaches this coming year.

Last place schedule and only 1 top 10 defense on the schedule in 2008.

Miami was carried by a average defense and a rejuvenated Ricky.

Omar - AFC East hasn’t been this weak in two decades - he is saying this because of Tom Brady who at this point in his career wasn't really a problem, I see every team in the AFC-E as stronger - Bills are a 2 years ahead of us in there rebuild, New England to me is a big ?, even the NY Jets have a GM who seem to be decent and putting a better team on the field for Gase. Both Cam Newton and Josh Allen ability to run when things go wrong could pose a problem for the Dolphins, we will see. Dolphins are geared to stop passing attacks and should be one of the better teams in the league at it. A high end linebacker and strong safety in next years draft could be in the cards to stop running QB's.

There's no doubt the talent on the Dolphins is night and day different butt it's very young on the offensive line and lacks playing time together, how quickly the coaching staff can get everyone on the same page will determine how far we go this year, what limits covid 19 has on training camp and the fact that were only playing 2 pre-season games this year will hurt the Dolphins more than most.

Other part of this equation is Fitzpatrick and Tua - If Fitzpatrick is playing at a high level and both Parker, Williams and Gesicki continue to play at the level they played at the end of last season were the best passing team in the east and one of the better ones in the league, add in 2 decent RB's and I'm giving Breida the edge here which may not happen right away, the big question is the offensive line and how well they come together and play could make or break us. If Tua starts he may need a year to get use to the NFL speed and it will be extremely interesting to see how Flores handles this, win now with Fitz's or give Tua the experience he needs and possible take some lumps that all rookie QB's expect Dan Marino take, this will have to happen at some point he is the future but Fitzpatrick gives the Dolphins there best chance to win this year.

Omar - Brian Flores won five games in his first season as head coach with a rebuilding Dolphins roster, and some local and national media members felt he should have been a Coach of the Year candidate.

I found that claim amusing, but it reflects how low the standards for Dolphins teams have fallen the past two decades.

Every Dolphin fan - heart leaped with joy hoping we finally found our coach

Last place schedule and only 1 top 10 defense on the schedule in 2008.

Miami was carried by a average defense and a rejuvenated Ricky.

I know what your saying, and I am not denying that Belichick is not a great HC, but that so called division winning, SB playing schedule the Pats had, was not much tougher, but the Pats had a very smart, instinctive defense...better Receivers, better O-line, yet Miami was able to over-take the Pats.

Belichick is not the same without Brady, and Brady is not the same without Belichick.

I'll be happy if we win 7 in this transitional year.

Fitzpatrick had a great last year and didn't have his typical meltdowns that made him a journeyman QB. I can't expect that production & lack of turnovers from him again.

We have a large coaching turnover and new systems again. Rosen must be excited for his annual new system to learn~

We have a lot of rookies and new players to roll in. I see fin fans talking up our draft picks, but this draft was basically Grier taking a mulligan for building a below average roster with his previous couple drafts. Tearing down a team is easy, building a team is the hard part. I'm not expecting anything more from Grier's picks and trades than what recent history tells us.

If Tua is as special as I think he is and stays healthy, it'll have all been worth it.

I know what your saying, and I am not denying that Belichick is not a great HC, but that so called division winning, SB playing schedule the Pats had, was not much tougher, but the Pats had a very smart, instinctive defense...better Receivers, better O-line, yet Miami was able to over-take the Pats.

Belichick is not the same without Brady, and Brady is not the same without Belichick.

That 08 team was carried by alot of talent.

But to reinforce my beliefs, over the years when we seen NE stumble out of the gates or hit a rough patch....they always went to more power sets and basic scheme. Which allowed their offensive line to adjust and get their sea legs and other marginal players to understand and do their jobs.

I do believe you will see a streamlined offense, not like anything during the Brady tenure. Less option routes, more scheme in particular the run game. Just my opinion.

But this is a team some predicted to go winless or win one game. AND had worse talent at EOY than when the press were made. All depends on baseline

Which was folly looking back. Especially since we should of understood what Fitzpatrick brings to the table.

Right now my baseline for this team if they play is 5 wins. While looking more accomplished along the way. At least we can hope. Let's get out of TC and PS with no injuries first.

Back
Top Bottom