Kiko Alonso Could Be One Of Many Dolphins Cap Casualties | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Kiko Alonso Could Be One Of Many Dolphins Cap Casualties

Kiko + Maxwell and that Eagles trade is one of the reasons Dolphins are in this mess and Philly won the superbowl. We have to know when to get rid of these kind of players. Yes, he probably was our best LB playing alongside 2 rookies. but he is really bad in coverage, I mean scary bad.

I seriously doubt we just use a ripsaw and cut players simply because they are less than ideal spec.

As far a Kiko, I'd hope Flores and staff use the same process across the board and evaluate the player

to make an assessment. If he can be used more effectively, or coached up to play to their expectations, AND

its economically palatable to keep him -- why not? We all know this is a multiyear project and you can't replace

50% of the roster in 1 off-season. My guess -- on the high side I'd expect somewhere around 20 new kids

on the 53 roster next Sept. In the neighborhood of a 40% turnover...

So with the horrendous coaching staff we had, especially on the defensive side of the ball, we want to get rid of one of our few playmakers on defense?

At his salary cost and miserable coverage skills? He's one of the biggest liabilities on the field in passing situations. Other teams know that, too.

Yes, I do.

The way I see it, when rebuilding,

you get rid(or trade if possible) of:
  • All overpaid players
  • Any veteran that can be replaced with a player on a rookie contract with similar results.
  • Any player over 30 who has trade value should be converted to draft assets, or players on rookie contracts.
You solidify your future core:

• players under 26 years old with elite potential should be extended for the long term, especially when they play: QB, DE, LT, CB.
All remaining players who dont fit any of those descriptions should then be evaluated on a case per case basis. But most of them will be average players on their second contract, so team fit and ability/willingness to learn should dictate the course of action in those cases...

Agreed. Just some of the contracts to keep players we had was baffling enough. We could have retained Branch for $3m less a year and no one would have offered him a better deal. McDonald had no leverage whatsoever for a contract extension when he came here and yet we paid him like a high profile free agent at his position. While I didn’t hate the Alonzo contract when it happened if there’s a LB on our roster who is hard to fit into a more flexible scheme it’s him. A good coach will find ways to utilize the players he has, but considering how much work we have to do to become competitive there is absolutely no cut that would surprise me.

Tannebaum used to be a sports agent. My theory is that he paid out these overpriced contracts and waited for his % cut before he realized he wasn't getting a commission.

Hopefully they can restructure Kiko's salary to be able to keep him in Miami...LB Is a position Miami can't afford to lose anyone worth keeping.

If we move on I’m ok with it as long as we play the other 2 guys to see what they have. Wouldn’t Baker be a better fit at weak, Raekwon at strong?

He needs to be replaced, he's a serviceable starter but he makes too many errors and I'm not sure I can watch him embarrass himself trying to chase Josh Allen around many more times. The only reason to keep him around for another year would be for a gradual change rather than the shock of losing so many starters at one time, however if there's a team out there gullible enough to be attracted by his highlight reel and we can get a pick for him then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom