Killing Time: Past football experience. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Killing Time: Past football experience.

I started playing football at age 8 (was on the school team - pee wee league). I started out at cornerback and as the years passed, I moved to safety and eventually OLB/DE (depending on what scheme we were running on that play) and Special Teams in highschool. I went to a little 2A school in southeast Alabama (Houston County H.S.). Because our team was so small, most of our guys had to play both ways. My senior year, our OL averaged 177 pounds and our RB weighed in at 225 (ran a 4.3 40). I was 5'4" and weighed a whopping 135 (depending on whether it was raining or not). It was the first time in the history of our school that we made the state playoffs. We were knocked out in the second round by the eventual 2A state champs that year (Cottonwood H.S.). I received one letter from a small college to come as a walk-on, but I didn't have the money to pay my own way so I never took that step. Great times and great memories. I wish I had been blessed with the size to make it at the next level. God I love football!

_dan24 said:
I wanted to kill time before the draft.

Though this may be in the wrong area I figured maybe the Mods can let it slide for a little while. :D

Anyways, I wanted to see how many users played football in their time? Whether it be City league, pop Warner, High School, or even college and the NFL.

Oh, and coaches, too. I didn't want to leave anyone out. Don't be shy!

I was a TE. Back then, there was no such thing as WRs. We called them flanker backs wich was one of the HBs that would split out on certain formations. Basic formation then was the "T" with 2 hBs and a [real] FB who was the main ball carrier usually. On D I was a MLB, usually the monster.Today, they call them a spy. But we're taling about the days of Jim Brown, Paul Hournung, Alan Ameche, etc. Anybody ever hear of them !! :D

I played football from about 4th grade to 9th grade in Buffalo, NY. I really enjoyed it. Played QB and End. Also returned punts a couple of years. Then, I quit as a sophomore and junior - got in with the wrong crowd (of course, I was an integral part of that wrong crowd!).

Then, I moved to Texas and started to play my senior year in High School. After going through a torturous summer training camp (wasn't used to the heat - and they take football extremely seriously in Texas - I've seen high school stadiums that would rival many college stadiums), it turned out that I was ineligible to play. Texas HS football is so intense that schools often recruit players to play elsewhere. Unless your parents move with you - you are not allowed to play for another school. Well, I lived in Texas with my brother and they would not allow me to play - even though I wasn't a big star or anything. Not having played the previous two years, I would have been a reserve for the better part of the season.

I did play flag football for three years in college - FB and then QB. We had a great team and won the school championship.

I started playing football for the PAL(police athletic league) when I was 7. My first year, I was a FB. After that, I played QB and played QB from then on. I also played LB, nose tackle, and DB on defense. I played Pop Warner until I started Middle School. I played QB and FS in middle school. I played QB in High School in South Carolina. I only played high school football for 2 years because I didn't like the option offense that the coach ran. (I HATE the option. I love to throw) The coach was fired and we got a new coach who ran more of a passing offense. So I tried out and won the starting QB job and started my last two seasons in high school. After that, I played for Charleston Southern University. I injured my knee and ankle my second season. Decided not to play after that. A year later, I started playing again- semi pro. I played for the Summerville Blazers where my offensive line probably set the guiness record for most sacks allowed. Then I went to a team called the Carolina Hurricanes. It was a first year team and we made it to the championship game our first year in existence but lost to the Atlanta Cannibals. The next year, we made it to the playoffs again but lost in the second round.
I moved to Charlotte, NC. I played for the Gastonia Gladiators here before they folded. Now I don't play but I am considering playing again either this season or next. But I coach Pop Warner now so it would be hard to do both. I love coaching the kids, so I would have to make a tough decision. I'm leaning toward staying in coaching. It's much less painful. =)

SCall13 said:
I started playing football for the PAL(police athletic league) when I was 7. My first year, I was a FB. After that, I played QB and played QB from then on. I also played LB, nose tackle, and DB on defense. I played Pop Warner until I started Middle School. I played QB and FS in middle school. I played QB in High School in South Carolina. I only played high school football for 2 years because I didn't like the option offense that the coach ran. (I HATE the option. I love to throw) The coach was fired and we got a new coach who ran more of a passing offense. So I tried out and won the starting QB job and started my last two seasons in high school. After that, I played for Charleston Southern University. I injured my knee and ankle my second season. Decided not to play after that. A year later, I started playing again- semi pro. I played for the Summerville Blazers where my offensive line probably set the guiness record for most sacks allowed. Then I went to a team called the Carolina Hurricanes. It was a first year team and we made it to the championship game our first year in existence but lost to the Atlanta Cannibals. The next year, we made it to the playoffs again but lost in the second round.
I moved to Charlotte, NC. I played for the Gastonia Gladiators here before they folded. Now I don't play but I am considering playing again either this season or next. But I coach Pop Warner now so it would be hard to do both. I love coaching the kids, so I would have to make a tough decision. I'm leaning toward staying in coaching. It's much less painful. =)

How hard is it to get into coaching for Pop Warner?

_dan24 said:
How hard is it to get into coaching for Pop Warner?

It isn't hard at all really. Most organizations are hurting for coaches. The hardest part is getting in touch with the right people to get started. But when you do, you will more than likely be welcomed with open arms. Most Pop Warner organizations are ran by the communities Optimist Club. You can usually get in touch with them through the Recreation Department.
** I would recommend that ANYONE who can give the time to coaching in Pop Warner to DO IT. It is an absolute blast. You still have the competition thing but from a different perspective. It's fun to watch those boys learn. And it's satisfying that, after several years, they'll still come up to you and say "hey coach" and hug you. I'm about to start my 8th season in coaching. Some of the boys I first coached are in High School playing and I know several will be in the NFL one day. It was awesome to see how far these boys have come in football. And it's great to know you took a part in their development as a player and as a person.

SCall13 said:
It isn't hard at all really. Most organizations are hurting for coaches. The hardest part is getting in touch with the right people to get started. But when you do, you will more than likely be welcomed with open arms. Most Pop Warner organizations are ran by the communities Optimist Club. Youc an usually get in touch with them through the Recreation Department.
** I would recommend that ANYONE who can give the time to coaching in Pop Warner to DO IT. It is an absolute blast. You still have the competition thing but from a different perspective. It's fun to watch those boys learn. And it's satisfying that, after several years, they'll still come up to you and say "hey coach" and hug you. I'm about to start my 8th season in coaching. Some of the boys I first coached are in High School playing and I know several will be in the NFL one day. It was awesome to see how far these boys have come in football. And it's great to know you took a part in their development as a player and as a person.

Thanks for the tips. Right now I'm really stressed for time (getting married and have a kid on the way), but when things settle down I would like to coach.

WelcomeBack said:
Well,I tried to play football until I completely tore up my ankles,and even now when I run they don't feel the same.

same with the ankles. wtf is wrong with us? also been undersized my whole life until i turned 14, then i grew into normal height and still underweight by like 30 lbs. (could have added that i guess). the two years of organized football i played weren't kind, but i played LB and OL. i showed moves and skill on the PE field, but when the pads came on, i was just too small.

didn't bother for highschool. i should have at least tried. everyone has their regrets i guess. not like i would have been that good, just love to play.

maybe one day, i'll have a son of my own, then i'll be really hard on him and live vicariously though him. :wink: :lol:

_dan24 said:
Thanks for the tips. Right now I'm really stressed for time (getting married and have a kid on the way), but when things settle down I would like to coach.

Congrats on the coming new addition. (Married? YIKES!!! Just kidding)
I know what you mean about the time strain. When i first started coaching, I was still playing. I had a daughter. Then, I had a little boy. After two years of juggling all of that, I had to give up playing. I'm 33 now. I still have some football left should I decide to play again. But I'm having a great time coaching. i do baseball and basketball also.
Anyway, when you do find some time, do it man. You'll love it.

DcRy82 said:
I got a late start compared to some, i didnt start til junior high. i played TE and DE but didnt get to start until late in my 8th grade year. i was always bigger for my age. i was 5'11 since 7th grade and am only 6'0 now. in high school i started to get faster and more athletic and i passed up everyone. My HS is class 8a in Illinois so we play with all the chicago, east st. louis, and peoria teams. i started both ways in high school for 2 years at WR and DE. i got moved up to varsity for the last couple games of the season. i started WR junior and senior year (wish coach woulda let me still play DE). got honorable mention all conference junior year, and made 1st team all conference and all area my senior year. i was 6'0 225 playing WR. haha there was NO DB that could bring me down by himself. i was like a TE with WR speed (4.65 40). i play college ball right now at a NAIA school in Iowa. i got a lot of offers from D3 and D2 schools and only one D1aa school (Southern IL). i know im not makin it to the next level, Maybe AFL2, but thats it. it will be a sad sad day when its all over.

Where do u go to college? I'm going to grad school at St. Ambrose in Davenport.

Played 4 years in High School. I played DE/OT. I was a senior captain and then I went on to play DE at a small D3 school in pennslyvania.

I played Pop Warner for awhile. I was OL, HB, MLB, and when they saw I could throw I was QB. I was going to to play for my middle school team but I soon realized that the other kids grew and I didn't. I no longer was tall enough to see over the line and that was the end of that.

I was recruited to play Basketball for a HS that did not have a footbal team. Played point guard for a team full of ringers and won the state title 3 times. Went to Auburn during the Chales Barkley / Chuck Person years but was simply a student. Bo Jackson was also a prominent figure around campus then. Graduated and became a teacher and coach at a HS. Coached Football, Basketball and women's softball where my teams won many district and regional titles for 9 years. Never could get over that hump and win the state title. The year after I left, my best buddy and head Football coach won the state title with the same team I had just left. Simply a season ticket holder now and FinHeaven junky.....

Back
Top Bottom