Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th | Page 53 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th

At first glance - I hated the trade but consider this: we save 16 mill- our options today were limited-
If I'm GM- I cut Pouncey save 7 mill.
Now we created 23 Mill
Sign Pugh, Jensen, Graham TE
Keep James. OLine SET
TE upgraded
Our DL is stacked. Keep Suh
RD1 - we discussed it will be Best Def player available.
Rd2 - RD3. Maybe WR/ RB
Rotational RB - Landry replacement.

I’m glad you have the energy for that cause I sure as hell don’t

A 4 and a damn 7

Pitiful

Not sure how they are going to be agressive in free agency. With Landry's 16 mil off the cap they are still about 3 or 4 mil over. Cutting Timmons and Thomas frees up about 12 mil. Making the Dolphins about 8 mil under. Enough to sign draft picks. They would have to cut, trade or sign James to a long term deal, and cut or trade either Pouncey or Wake. Then they would have a little room to become bit players in free agency. Cutting Suh does not help them much in free agency this season. I hope they don't do any more restructuring to screw up the cap down the road.

Tbaum asked to repeat himself on speaker phone when he told the browns he agreed for a full belly laugh.

Where’s the goodfellas gif when I need it

You can't judge Landry on this year. He had Cutler throwing to him....a retired Cutler. Just one year earlier with Tannehill, Landry averaged 12 yards per catch. The year before....10.5/catch.

Now i'm not saying i would have paid a slot guy $16M per, because i wouldn't have. But i probably would have signed him over a year ago when the price was lower and if he's so bad, why had nobody else stepped up to take those targets while he was here? As you said, it's damn hard to not break 1000 yards on 110+ catches, but it's still the NFL and it's damn hard to catch 110 yards any season in the NFL.....especially on a BAD offense.
Nobody is saying he's a bad player. But barring injury I think there are a lot of Wr's in the NFL that could catch that amount of passes in a season when the vast majority of the throws are within 5-10 yards of the LOS. And here's the thing... Landry doesn't really excel at getting open, he's not a quick twitch type of guy, he's not a great route runner, and hell apparently he doesn't even know the right routes to run. His forte is his RAC ability, toughness, ability to break tackles, and fight for every yard. There are a lot of guys that could get open in a short range more consistently than Landry and rack up a ton of catches if the offense ran through them like it did Landry. Now as far as what they do with the ball after they catch it... now that's a different story.

I don't think OV, Mathews and Miller were mistake.

Maybe in time this move may prove to be correct as well, but it just seems like we didn't get enough back.
We could've had OV for 10 mil per the yr prior to him hitting the market same w Landry. The talk last yr was about 11 and then when the GB wr signed for 14.5 per he said hold up.. I can get more now. The point is TShit suck big fat hairy ones now, 2 years ago and when he was with the jets.

Wouldn't make sense. If they just let him leave in free agency they would have received a 3rd comp pick next year. Why trade him for a conditional 2019 3rd round pick that could be a 4th or 5th if he doesn't sign a long term deal with the Browns.

Because we got cute/gambled, thinking we could get more than a low third via comp, so we tagged him. Turns out (surprise, surprise) that between his asking price and ours, teams slow played knowing that time was not on our side. When we started making early trades, we exposed our hand even further (a.k.a. our short term cap problems) and anyone who was really interested knew we had zero leverage.

We played craps and crapped out. It happens. If we had just let him walk, we would have had zero control over where he went (not sure that mattered here), no chance for better than a late 3, and everyone here would have completely lost their minds for just letting him walk (not keeping our own, blah, blah, blah). I think the FO did as well as they could have under the circumstances (very specifically --- at this moment in time vs. last year).

As for why we let things get this far down the road, our connection over in in the VIP section has some pretty solid reporting that there was a lot going on with Landry that the team was not happy about and that Landry wasn't doing his part to address those issues. Assuming that's all more or less true, what coach on any team is going to keep a good, but non-super star player under those circumstances? Hell, Belinchick doesn't play starters in super bowl (and while his team is getting toasted no less) for less than 128.7% effort on Belinchick's terms. As far as I can tell, every HC is more or less the same way. Does anyone think that Landry was really so good that he should get a pass? He wasn't anywhere near Marino good and that's the bar for not giving the team everything the way the team wants it (I was very careful about how I phrased that because it's clear he gave his all on his terms).

Cleveland is in a much, much better position than Miami is guys, for a variety of reasons. Miami is the idiot franchise. Making fun of Cleveland is barking up the wrong tree. They have a plan, now.

Cleveland has been bad for twenty years, but they are building something that makes sense. They will be electric. Miami has not distinguished themselves in twenty years either. The difference is Cleveland is positioned to go sky high. Miami has nothing to show for anything except being a farm team for the league.

Given how they have been the red headed step child for the last 20 years, why don't we wait and see them execute for a year or two before we decide they finally on the road to success.

What was Landry making on his rookie deal, $800K? If we extended him last year at $11 per for 4 years, that’s $44 million. If we extended him this year at say $16 million for 4 more years, that’s call it $65 million over 5 years when you count 2017 on his rookie deal. That’s $13 per. Don’t count that last year which probably would have had an out, and you’re at $12.25 for 4 years. You sign him at that cost!!

At the end of the day, poor cap planning and us being cheap with an all star receiver and the face of our franchise caused us to fall flat here. What a shame.

My only point is that
We could've had OV for 10 mil per the yr prior to him hitting the market same w Landry. The talk last yr was about 11 and then when the GB wr signed for 14.5 per he said hold up.. I can get more now. The point is TShit suck big fat hairy ones now, 2 years ago and when he was with the jets.

I agree with this. The mistake wasn't made today- it was made 2 years ago..

While the sky isn't exactly falling, I can't understand some being happy about this. We should never be in a situation where we get rid of a young pro bowler for a 4th. This is a terrible deal.

you're absolutely right -- money and salary cap shouldn't figure into this equation at all.....

Gase is ridding the team of guys he doesn't think are team guys.

Team guys means players that study tape and the playbook, making every effort to know it backward and forward. According to our best sources over in the VIP section, that just wasn't Landry.

Notice only team that was willing to trade for Juice was the Browns. Want to know why? Good teams do not trade draft picks for players with huge salaries. Especially a slot receiver. Now I’m not happy he’s gone. Loved Juice. But if we can get a good guard, Sammy Watkins in free agency pluse 4th rd pick. For the same amount of money we would have had to play Jarvis. Well then we’re a better team if this happens. Our offense should be more expensive. So many of Juices catches came when we were down by 10 or more. If we can also draft a seem tight end. Our offense will be that much better. Who knows. Maybe Caroo will end up being a good player when given the chance. I believe in Gase. I think will be fine
I think you give Tannedumb too much credit. I'm not convinced that he successfully dangled first Ajayi and now Landry around the league to create some bidding tension, especially among divisional foes in order to drive up the price. I 'm more inclined to believe that our front office slugs lay down and took it from behind from the first club to show a little interest. Again, "Trader Mike" matching wits with either Roseman or Dorsey is the equivalent of competing with a knife in a gunfight

The biggest laugh of all is the apologists claiming we're going to be big players in free agency now. Not gonna happen.

Back
Top Bottom