Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th | Page 59 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry traded to Browns for 2018 4th 2019 7th

I don’t expect 22 All pros.

I also don’t wanna pay good players all pro money.

That’s a false narrative. You can draft guys and extend them on reasonable deals. Miami barely extends anyone.

Julio Jones got forty-seven million dollars guaranteed in 2015. When it expires, he’s going to get, what, $65 M? Landry wants $30 M? $33 M? He’s not going to get Julio guarantees.

Don’t get too excited about our draft. You will see guys picked that won’t be here long. That’s their modus operandi.

I just don’t get it anymore. Lamar, Vernon, Jay, Landry, etc... Why do we continue to NOT retain our young stud or stud-in-the-making players, and in the case of Jay and Landry, get low draft picks that should NOT excite anyone given our track record (see Asiata, Carroo, the list goes on).

Watch, they’ll be high-fiving on camera when they package 2 of those 4th rounders for a 3rd that turns into a player who won’t play.

Frustrating...

I wanted to keep all of those players, but for perspective those players were drafted in the 4th, 3rd, 5th, and 2nd, so not like we have never gotten good players with late picks. I think the problem is not having vision to sign your own early and then still having to spend the same later to replace, but it takes two to tango and some players (like Landry) probably couldn't have been signed early for a reasonable #. I think Miller & Vernon would have though.

That’s a false narrative. You can draft guys and extend them on reasonable deals. Miami barely extends anyone.

Julio Jones got forty-seven million dollars guaranteed in 2015. When it expires, he’s going to get, what, $65 M? Landry wants $30 M? $33 M? He’s not going to get Julio guarantees.

Don’t get too excited about our draft. You will see guys picked that won’t be here long. That’s their modus operandi.

It’s 2018, good players don’t resign for reasonable deals anymore. It’s about maximizing your earning potential. That’s the NFL now. 3-4 years you need a new nucleus.

The eagles just won a SB with key players being FA they signed. The Rams are wheeling and dealing for proven stars. That’s the new NFL.

Stop the nonsense! The team has gross salaray cap issues and a history of losing it's (drafted) young ascending talent while overpaying via FA.

It's freaking lunacy -- and let's NOT forget -- all this fun in the sun is married to consistent under performance on the field!

Of course fans are just brats and we should all recognize the real "excellence" of the org and of course be so tankful Ross runs the circus.

None of those guys are studs. None are studs in the making. They all were really good players who wanted elite player money.

Teams get rid of good players who want to much money all the time. Nothing new.

That’s a decent point but then we need to extend these guys sooner. How are we ever going to build a winner when we constantly wait to the last second to sign the very rare draft picks we hit on? With this roster and cap situation it’s very hard to defend this front office.

I don’t expect 22 All pros.

I also don’t wanna pay good players all pro money.
Well then we better win now and the same thing 5 years from now we better win then because any good player we draft that turns out to be better than good and an asset to a team is going to walk under that premise. So we draft, hopefully hit on a potential star, and if we don't win first contract he's gone. Something's wrong with that philosophy can't have it both ways. You pay for the essential players to help you win and you'll pay good money when contract time arises is or you get hosed like we do normally. Other teams seem to benefit when they lose a player not always but definitely happens on a regular basis. Just can't say that we have done anything right in the past decade-and-a-half and our record shows it. We need change or it'll be another decade in half before we regurgitate this discussion. And this goes Way Beyond Landry, I under-stand we miss played this in the beginning and we had no choice so I get it. But it's like a disease this team just doesn't know how to build a quality team that can't compete in our division.

Rules meaning doing what they're supposed to do, our top performers, you buy into that these players held us back and qouldnt be valuable...trade thwm for a song? I see jay doing fine in Philly and i would wait until 2019 to see what Landry foes but i bet he does well. A coach has to be able to deal with alpha players personalities and im not sure Gase can from what ive seen. If we get Baker it could be a circus cause he'll tell it like it is on those 2 yd bubbles when we need 8.

Suh is a stud but a quiet one, most alphas , not all have a tude. Hope im wrong here but im not sure Gase deals real well with those types of players.

No! That's called being a Professional. Also, Baker seems way too ****y. I can understand the Johnny Manziel comparison.

I think the hardest thing to get over is that this guy was on our team for 4 years, we all loved what he brought to the team during that time. But now you have to lump him in with any other free agent, look at him like he hasn't been on our team. Do you want a high end slot receiver at 14 or 15 million per year? I think most people would pass on that. It's the same way people get hung up on Vernon. Why are we letting our good players walk they say. Well Vernon is not an elite talent and he's making 17 million on average. We did well to not pay him that. Meanwhile we actually have an elite player (Suh) that has an average of 19 million and people question that and say it was a bad move. Which is it people? If you are going to pay up for assets it might as well be elite ones. If we want to shell out money on a receiver, lets see what Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson can offer in free agency. Maybe even a cheap flier on Pryor.

Also, to the resign our own crowd... Miller is a potential cap casualty and there has been rumors that he could be cut. I doubt he will be, but again, he isn't elite talent, he was outplayed by alfred blue down the stretch, yet people cry we didn't keep him. We made great decisions on Miller, Vernon and now Landry. When we draft someone elite for once (say a Julio type receiver) that's when you open the wallet and pay 16-18 million if you have to.

‘We could have signed player X sooner’ - how do we know player X would have agreed to sign sooner? And for the dollars on the table we offered- maybe they said- I will wait because I know Im worth more.

Then we have ‘why did we extend player Y so soon? Ie Kiko or Jones. It works both ways.

If he won't play ball on extension talks then you trade him while he's still worth a pretty penny. That is the Belichick way. Obviously I don't know what happened but my sense from Landry's quotes throughout the season is the Dolphins didn't make any offers last offseason and he felt disrespected.

Its all moot anyway. Keep Landry-lose Landry. Keep Suh-lose Suh. Doesn't matter. Dolphins are a dead team walking.

Who drew up those short patterns and WR screens on 3rd and 8? Not Landry.

It’s not like Jarvis ran into the huddle and is like, “No, scratch that play. This is what we’re gonna do - throw me a bubble screen on 3rd and long the whole game!”

The players execute the calls that the coach sends into the huddle. I’m not seeing how that is Jarvis Landry’s fault, but moreso vanilla and unimaginative design by Adam Gase.

Thank you.

It's pretty easy to defer cap hits. See any contract created by Aponte. Minimum salary the first year, with large cash bonuses that get deferred to later years in the contract, while building in an exit strategy to the contract. A lot of the more talented teams in the league employe this cap strategy. Players/agents like it, and teams benefit from it by defering cap.

No again. Back loading a contract is only worth it if the team is one or two players away from winning now. It's not a strategy for building a team because all those deferred bills come due. Big number back loaded contacts only make sense for elite difference makers, which as much as you might like him, he isn't.

It depends on your expectations. Sure, if you think you can get 22 all pros starting for you, then don’t extend anyone who fails to live up to that billing.

Personally, I think you get a roster of solid players and add in a few stars, and you’re off to the races.
Yeah, and thats the point, you can only afford a few stars.. is Landry one of those stars or is he a solid player? I think he's a solid player that wanted paid like a star and that's not something we can build around so he had to go.

Not sure you understand how markets work. There are deals made at below and above market value every day, mostly because human behavior is irrational. If I sell you a new Bentley Continental for $100, that doesn't mean that Bently's have a market value of $100. That just means one guy is an idiot, and the other guy got a great deal. In our case, Tannenbaum was the idiot.

Since we know you have a computer because you are posting here, you don't have any excuse for not looking up the definition for market mechanics.

The market for a NFL player is limited to exactly what what one of 32 teams are willing to pay. Period. We didn't think he was worth what he was asking. You can't argue that we were wrong because only two teams came knocking on our door for him, which suggested the markets view of him was pretty aligned with ours (the teams).

You can say what you want about how valuable juice is/was but until you can back that up with your cash, it's just another ranting post.

Back
Top Bottom