Larnel Coleman getting noticed | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Larnel Coleman getting noticed

probably not, Austin is my man and I'm rooting for him. He's only 22
He's a dolphin so I am rooting for him also. He has a lot of good tools, a great athletic profile, a great kick slide and has shown significant improvement in his anchor while at the same time slimming down. Those are all great and gives many fans hope. But these were all present early in his rookie year also. But here is the rub, I have written about this several times and wrote about it when we drafted him. His problem is processing speed. When something happens that he is not expecting it takes too long for him to recognize it. This is not being lazy or lacking intelligence, it is the speed at which synapsis in the brain relay data from what he sees back to the brain and then back to the muscles to change direction. When he is expecting outside speed rush and gets that he looks great, but when they fake outside and cross his face he can't react in time, and rarely gets a hand on the guy. This is not fixable. There are several conditions that cause this, one is CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease) which I was born with. It is not noticeable to those not looking for it but makes certain things, (like boxing and combat sports) nearly impossible.
He will look great until we are through with practice and preseason then someone watches tape on him and it is a free shot on Tua every time they want it. And now it is Tua's blind side. Go back and watch, or watch moving forward when the guy he is blocking changes direction and makes and inside move. It's kinda sad.

He's a dolphin so I am rooting for him also. He has a lot of good tools, a great athletic profile, a great kick slide and has shown significant improvement in his anchor while at the same time slimming down. Those are all great and gives many fans hope. But these were all present early in his rookie year also. But here is the rub, I have written about this several times and wrote about it when we drafted him. His problem is processing speed. When something happens that he is not expecting it takes too long for him to recognize it. This is not being lazy or lacking intelligence, it is the speed at which synapsis in the brain relay data from what he sees back to the brain and then back to the muscles to change direction. When he is expecting outside speed rush and gets that he looks great, but when they fake outside and cross his face he can't react in time, and rarely gets a hand on the guy. This is not fixable. There are several conditions that cause this, one is CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease) which I was born with. It is not noticeable to those not looking for it but makes certain things, (like boxing and combat sports) nearly impossible.
He will look great until we are through with practice and preseason then someone watches tape on him and it is a free shot on Tua every time they want it. And now it is Tua's blind side. Go back and watch, or watch moving forward when the guy he is blocking changes direction and makes and inside move. It's kinda sad.
Are you talking about Austin Jackson? If he has what you described, shouldn't he be unable to play?

I think you're over analyzing a bit. Jackson doesn't have some weird time delay problem, it's a matter of coaching not preparing the players for what they will see on the field.

What most fans think of as reaction time is more often due to great preparation than instinct. When you know what to do in different situations you react better and faster, it's human nature.

I recall one comment from Applebaum praising his footwork and athleticism (but declined to mention weaknesses) and few positive mentions from camp reports. I didn't hear any negative reports. I suspect that like most rookie OL, he needs to develop NFL strength.
Especially when you come out at 6'7" 295.

He must look like Borat running around out there.

Actually AJ has been very good as well. He and Hunt were the two that Armstead pointed out as playing well in Tampa. The other guy that's been mentioned positively is Robert Jones. I liked him in the brief glimpse we got last year. At his point I'm guessing that our line this year will be Armstead, Eich, Williams, Hunt, AJ with Deiter, Jones, Coleman and possibly Dietch as the back ups.
sounds about right unless they bring somebody in after the cuts down to 53

I recall one comment from Applebaum praising his footwork and athleticism (but declined to mention weaknesses) and few positive mentions from camp reports. I didn't hear any negative reports. I suspect that like most rookie OL, he needs to develop NFL strength.

He's had good footwork dating back to his time at UMass...that was one of his technical strengths. He was (surprise!) a center on their basketball team, as well.

I think you're over analyzing a bit. Jackson doesn't have some weird time delay problem, it's a matter of coaching not preparing the players for what they will see on the field.

What most fans think of as reaction time is more often due to great preparation than instinct. When you know what to do in different situations you react better and faster, it's human nature.
I saw a lack of awareness and technique, not a lack processing speed.

I saw a lack of awareness and technique, not a lack processing speed.

Same, I think the awareness comes partially from not fully trusting the guy next to you to pick up who he should. If you start thinking too much you sometimes end up looking like you aren't thinking at all.

Technique 100%. We all knew he needed coaching in that area coming out and it looks like he hasn't received it. Normally I wouldn't just blame the staff, but it impacted the whole line....so I hoping that was staff related and everyone isn't just awful...ha.

Would be an absolute Dolphins move to finally find a gem at tackle late in the draft the year they back up the brinks truck for a veteran tackle.

Better than the issues we typically have at the position i must say.
Most of his contract is over this year and the next. As long as he can still play, he's probably tradeable after next season, and he's cuttable the year after that.

Same, I think the awareness comes partially from not fully trusting the guy next to you to pick up who he should. If you start thinking too much you sometimes end up looking like you aren't thinking at all.

Technique 100%. We all knew he needed coaching in that area coming out and it looks like he hasn't received it. Normally I wouldn't just blame the staff, but it impacted the whole line....so I hoping that was staff related and everyone isn't just awful...ha.

This is what it came down to for me. It's not like Jackson and Eichenberg were tremendous reaches. Jackson was a high ceiling guy, Eichenberg was a high floor guy. There have been plenty of other players over the past 2-3 seasons (and longer) who have been at least competent as players elsewhere, but train wrecks here. As I've been saying, I refuse to believe that O-Linemen magically start to suck the instant they sign with Miami.

It's been the coaching that's the biggest problem.

Most of his contract is over this year and the next. As long as he can still play, he's probably tradeable after next season, and he's cuttable the year after that.
Not the worst problem to have.....

Back
Top Bottom