Larry Fitzgerald | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Larry Fitzgerald

Anyone know what Wallace cap number will be with a tag??

I believe that the CBA makes it a serious no-no to tag someone simply to trade him. But with cap space the team will have available in 2013, and assuming we don't bring back Jake Long and his super inflated salary, signing Mike Wallace would be simple enough. We'd just have to be willing to pay him big bucks.

The main barricade is that Pittsburgh can franchise him and indications are that they are likely to do so. That is why I have been talking up Greg Jennings, because I think he is also a fantastic receiver and contrary to Wallace, the indications are very strong that Green Bay will let him hit the market due to the sheer number of successful players they need to re-sign and their cap situation.
Agreed, they will most likely do that. Damn, for some reason I had thought that they tagged him this year, but I guess he was a restricted FA.

Yes, lets give up not just 3 picks but a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for a 30 yr old WR that will most likely be "elite" for another 2 maybe 3 years when he begins to slow down. Bring him onto a team that lacks another top tier threat so he can be double covered the whole game just like in Arizona.

Not to mention we could easily sign Jennings, Bowe, Wallace.

yeah lets keep most of our draft picks and address our need thru the draft on unproven players. After all that is the definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

yeah lets keep most of our draft picks and address our need thru the draft on unproven players. After all that is the definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Plenty of elite teams are built through FA and draft. Rarely do teams trade house for top talent and end up the winners. Just because Ireland has a "mystic" about him that he is terrible at the draft should not signal a team to trade all picks for NFL veterans.

Everyone basher Ireland for his terrible draft but forget to mention the talent we have aquired. Sean Smith, Koa Misi, Martin, Reshad Jones, Lamar Miller, Olivier Vernon, Pouncey.

Sure we have missed on prospects just like EVERY OTHER TEAM in the NFL has at one point or another.

His contract was for 8 years and $128 million
with 6 years left after this season
Do you honestly think he would tear up that contract and come into
Miami for a discount? I use to believe in Santa Claus 50 years ago not so much anymore.

his cap hits for
2013- $9.25 million
2014- $17 million
2015-$20 1/4 million
2016-$17 1/4 million
2017- $17 million
2018- $15 million

we can barely resign or replace the 20+ free agents we have
and people think we can afford a $130+ million contract plus give away draft pics

His contract was for 8 years and $128 million
with 6 years left after this season
Do you honestly think he would tear up that contract and come into
Miami for a discount? I use to believe in Santa Claus 50 years ago not so much anymore.

his cap hits for
2013- $9.25 million
2014- $17 million
2015-$20 1/4 million
2016-$17 1/4 million
2017- $17 million
2018- $15 million

we can barely resign or replace the 20+ free agents we have
and people think we can afford a $130+ million contract plus give away draft pics

If we can barely resign and replace our free agents than our front office is beyond hope.

Tampa signed Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks to $104 million contracts combined. This is after giving their left tackle top tier cash(6 year, $48 million) and giving their quarterback a pre-CBA rookie contract. They still had $18 million left over.

This team is so utterly devoid of talent that its just insane to think we cant afford anything. The freaking Jets had 3 linebackers with contracts over $40 million each. That doesnt include the Holmes, Ferguson, Mangold, Sanchez, Cromartie, and Revis contracts they all dished out around that same time. While they are over cap now, they navigated that storm for years.

We can afford one or two high contracts. Especially when the CBA makes us spend the money. Fitzgerald not only is affordable, but we easily resign all our players, with the possible exception of Long. If we have to effectively trade Long for Fitz...well, id take that "trade" in a heartbeat.

They have no reason to give him away for any reason and be honest none of our guys despite how much we like them most of them won't make most teams top 3 rotation

We can afford one or two high contracts. Especially when the CBA makes us spend the money. Fitzgerald not only is affordable, but we easily resign all our players, with the possible exception of Long.

Draft class 6 million + range
HARTLINE AT 5-6 MILLION
Smith in the 6 million range
Starks in the 6 million range
Bush in the 4 million range
Clemons in the 2 million range
Fasano 4 millon range
Garner 1-2 million range
Trusnik 1-2 million range
Devlin and Moore 3 million range

that's around 40 million on just 10 free agents plus the draft class

you still have 15 rfa and ufa left to sign or their replacements EVEN if lucky add another 10 plus million for the remaining 15 free agents
Now we're at 50 million (ball park figure)

and you believe we can add one or 2 high free agent contracts
another 10-15 million to go with the 50 million all ready accounted for

Fitzgeralds Average Salary PER YEAR IS $16,062,500

and he still has 6 years on his contract

You have to give up draft picks plus come to terms with Fitzgerald
and I doubt you'll get a discount from him

I believe if you think we'll sign all our draft picks other than Long and add 1 or 2 high priced free agents
you're going to be very disappointed

Plenty of elite teams are built through FA and draft. Rarely do teams trade house for top talent and end up the winners. Just because Ireland has a "mystic" about him that he is terrible at the draft should not signal a team to trade all picks for NFL veterans.

Everyone basher Ireland for his terrible draft but forget to mention the talent we have aquired. Sean Smith, Koa Misi, Martin, Reshad Jones, Lamar Miller, Olivier Vernon, Pouncey.

Sure we have missed on prospects just like EVERY OTHER TEAM in the NFL has at one point or another.

Name me one all-pro player from that list...JUST 1

OR EVEN 1 PRO BOWLER FROM THAT LIST...JUST 1

please stop with the Pro Bowl talk, Jake Long was a pro-bowler last year, didnt play like one, before his injury JL was the leading vote getter for Pro Bowl when he was playing poorly, anyone can make the pro bowl these days especially with the SB substitute players, and players just not caring and saying they cant play b/c of injury

but for arguments sake, Pouncey will be a pro-bowler this year and is a top 3 Center in the NFL, Jones should be a pro-bowler this year but wont make it because of lack of name recognition, also lack of fan voting

Well I would say Jones and Pouncey are on way to a Pro Bowl.

We have a young team,

Dolphins / 25.57 years — The Dolphins, who have 12 rookies, two first-year players and seven second-year players

Takes time to build up recognition. In addition using the "Pro Bowl" as a measuring tool of how great a player is, is sadly out dated. Most players in the Pro Bowl are either one time greats (Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Ed Reed), or injured superstars who will be replaced with alternates (MJD, D. Bowe, D. Revis, L. McCoy).

The Pro Bowl has now become a popularity contest and rarely holds true to having the best "stat" player out on the field. IMO atleast.

You said good QB. Alex Smith is average. If they trade for Smith, Fitzgerald's agent will ask for a trade.

The 49ers are going to make a move Alex is eating up too much of their cap.
Money
If Traded/Cut after New League Years Begins
If Traded/Cut before the new League Year Begins
2013 Savings
$6,750,000​
$7,750,000​
2013 Dead Money
$2,000,000​
$1,000,000​
2014 Savings
$8,750,000​
$8,750,000​
http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3752556/alex-smith-contract-trade-release-colin-kaepernick

Draft class 6 million + range
HARTLINE AT 5-6 MILLION
Smith in the 6 million range
Starks in the 6 million range
Bush in the 4 million range
Clemons in the 2 million range
Fasano 4 millon range
Garner 1-2 million range
Trusnik 1-2 million range
Devlin and Moore 3 million range

I let Sean Smith find employment elsewhere and I go out and pay a guy who can score touchdowns instead of re-signing Brian Hartline. One impact player is better than a guy who doesn't score touchdowns and a guy who gets abused by opposing QBs every week.

Insanity is to keep reading your posts and thinking they might actually have a point. Real good teams in the NFL do not build through FA. They build through the draft and fill in the remaining holes via FA. To give up 3 draft picks for a 30 year old WR when this team has many other needs is assaine. How is that not insanity?? I would love to see Keenan taken with our 1st, and then geez look we would still have two more picks that you are so ready to give away. Then with those picks we are able to bring in even more young talent. The arguement that none of our past 2nd round draft picks were any good is weak. I can easily say that this year will be different and we nail our first 5 picks - compare that to your trade for Fitz (5 starters, 5 poistions addressed to Fitz and one more pick), I win.

Back
Top Bottom