Latest Boston Update | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Latest Boston Update

Dolphins17-0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8148758.htm

NO TALKS YET

The Dolphins say that, contrary to Internet reports, they have not had discussions with the Chargers or the agent for Boston, who this week was given permission to seek a trade.

The team did confirm that agent Mitch Frankel called Tuesday, presumably to begin those trade talks.

''I have had a call from Mitch Frankel, who is David Boston's agent, that I have not yet returned,'' Spielman said before refusing to characterize Miami's interest or lack of interest in the former Pro Bowl player.

''I don't know what will happen tomorrow or the next day, but right now I don't know because I haven't had discussions with anyone,'' Spielman said.

``I'll return the call definitely. Out of courtesy, I return every call.''

BOSTON INTERESTED

Boston, 25, has already put in several calls to the Dolphins, although through back channels.

He played four years for the Arizona Cardinals, turning in 1,000-yard seasons in 2000 and 2001, and credits position coach Jerry Sullivan with much of that success.

Sullivan was recently hired as the Dolphins' receivers coach. Sullivan and Boston remained close after Boston went to San Diego last year.

After Sullivan joined the Dolphins, Boston told the coach he would like to be reunited with him in Miami.

CHARGERS' MOVE

The Chargers are expected to trade or cut Boston before March 15 when a $3 million bonus is due him. The Dolphins can trade for Boston and then restructure the remaining portion of a $47 million deal he signed with San Diego last season.

Boston didn't seemingly fit in with the Chargers after signing that deal. He was suspended one game for conduct detrimental to the team, and he also got into an argument with a strength coach.

Despite his troubles, Boston caught 70 passes for 880 yards with seven TDs.

If the guy wants to play for us, bring him in. It makes a huge difference when you play for a team you actually want to play for. Plus this guy has averaged over 1000 yards a year, that's a hell of a compliment to our recieving corps.

I agree. For a third rounder this is a trade the FO MUST make. He is still only 25 years old. He and Chambers would be by far the most physical set of receivers in the league.

And if Boston crashes and burns, well, then the price (a 3rd rounder) isnt so much to set the franchise back. Its a risk/reward scenario, a chance that the FO needs to take.

Originally posted by ltfinfan
does anyone know how much he will cost us against the cap

probably not much but it would be a new restructured contract im sure

that is probably what they will be talking about in the future, that is if RS gets his ars in gear and gets him in Miami pronto! If rick screws this up, im going to have to lean the other way.:mad:

We will not be responsible for his signing bonus (since SD alrerady paid it to him). So essentially, his base salary will account for his entire cap hit.

Plus, if he doesnt pan out and we elect to cut him, then we wont suffer any cap hit at all. (no Daryl Gardner backlash here).

Somebody posted his cap numbers over the next 5-6 years and although this year isn't outrageous, it gets increasingly worse with the final year being something around 12 Million. He'd have to restructure his deal for a lower overall total number, and, in light of all the cap room we've got this year, maybe move some of it up to this year so as to lower the hit in later years.

Don't most big contract inflate like that tho? Which is which every few years players re-structure their contracts because those numbers inflated?

If we get this guy, the AFCE will be $hitting bricks

Agreed. Having him would be so nice and it would untie our hands a little more.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
``I'll return the call definitely...wife drove Tait to the hood. [/QUOTE] LOL

I am shocked by how many people want this guy here but were against trading for Terrell Owens. Boston is TEN TIMES the headcase Owens is. I do NOT want this cancer in our locker room---our offense has enough problems.

Back
Top Bottom