League News, cuts, signings, rumors….. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

League News, cuts, signings, rumors…..

I find that interesting because he's been out of the game long enough that if he wanted a coaching career it could have started already.

Wonder why he waited.
just guessing but maybe family? It's not like NFL coaches are candidates for father of the year

I have to go along with @Schleprock on this one. "Lockdown" is a big overstatement. Jones is a very good corner, that is a little overpaid.

Some ppl hate that he is overpaid, but by the same token, he isn't easily replaced either. And no, I'm not looking for speculation on how you can get player X for Y amount.

I love X, and his "cowboy style", but you can't have everyone in the secondary with that mindset.
Right. I wish his ball skills were better, but Jones is a good player.

Right. I wish his ball skills were better, but Jones is a good player.
Someone posted earlier a stat of passes defended, and noted that Jones was far down the list, as if that was a bad thing. He was far down the list because he knew his scheme responsibilities and had good coverage.

Someone posted earlier a stat of passes defended, and noted that Jones was far down the list, as if that was a bad thing. He was far down the list because he knew his scheme responsibilities and had good coverage.
I still remember how Miami's defense took off in 2020 when Bryron Jones got on the field. That wasn't a coincidence.

I noticed last season, not this past one, but the 10-6 season, that it seemed as though the ball was not thrown in Jones' direction that much

Last edited:
Jones is over paid but that was the deal if we wanted the player. Since Jones teamed up with X we've had 2 very strong CBs and it has permitted us to play a type of defense that gets a lot of turnovers. We MUST keep Ogbah, he's another important piece of what we do. Every team has some less than great contracts, Jones is one of ours. We drafted the future in the first round a couple of years ago but Iggy hasn't been anything but a disappointment. That's a terrible whiff by Grier.

Agreed with all but Iggy.

I have learned to not trust a single evaluation or player assessment from Flores.

For 17 weeks there was no better option at RT. Then surprise surprise....week 18 Robert Jones had the best game of the season at RT against a very good defense. A better option was in the team all season

Iggy has been horrendous, but he also hasn't really gotten a true chance imo.

I won't blame the kid who was a 1st round pick who in year 2 is already on the chopping block for messing up.

Kid may have pressed too hard or overcome sated believing he's gone if he doesn't make a play. RATHER than just playing his position.

This is why I'll trust McDaniels and crew.

But it does appear Grier whiffed on certain picks.

Well know after this season.

Agreed with all but Iggy.

I have learned to not trust a single evaluation or player assessment from Flores.

For 17 weeks there was no better option at RT. Then surprise surprise....week 18 Robert Jones had the best game of the season at RT against a very good defense. A better option was in the team all season

Iggy has been horrendous, but he also hasn't really gotten a true chance imo.

I won't blame the kid who was a 1st round pick who in year 2 is already on the chopping block for messing up.

Kid may have pressed too hard or overcome sated believing he's gone if he doesn't make a play. RATHER than just playing his position.

This is why I'll trust McDaniels and crew.

But it does appear Grier whiffed on certain picks.

Well know after this season.

IMO, Iggy's failures are mental quickness and technique. Two years in and he still doesn't turn his head, still bites on routes. He has the physical talents. Can McD and staff help the mental part? Some, yes. Fans will see.
Jones - he's on the team and playing well. I suspect he stays. Does that mean don't look for another good CB? Nope

IMO, Iggy's failures are mental quickness and technique. Two years in and he still doesn't turn his head, still bites on routes. He has the physical talents. Can McD and staff help the mental part? Some, yes. Fans will see.
Jones - he's on the team and playing well. I suspect he stays. Does that mean don't look for another good CB? Nope

I wonder how our new coaching staff will respond to Iggy, and more importantly, how he will respond to them.

I think we will know a lot more when the roster is brought down to size before the season starts.

If a player is tagged, does that count immediately towards the cap, even if they don't sign it?

I wonder how our new coaching staff will respond to Iggy, and more importantly, how he will respond to them.

I think we will know a lot more when the roster is brought down to size before the season starts.
It sure would be great to see some of these young players blossom under a new coaching regime. I have to say it will hurt if we end up not playing Jackson, Iggy, Eichenberg etc. as that will be an indictment on each of those if they can not respond better with 2 different staffs. On the other side, I hope Holland, Phillips etc. continue to flourish.

I just don't know why I do so much but Iggy is who I am rooting for most.

I'm guessing you have to have the space in case they sign it right away?
If I'm not mistaken, the start of the league year is when teams have to be compliant, and calculations are done at league offices. Not sure the exact date this year, but usually in late march.

I don't believe they are required to be "under the cap" to franchise a player, or even offer a new contract for that matter, but they will have to make other moves by the start of the new league year.

This may seem unfair, but I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise. If teams had to be under the cap on a daily basis it would severely limit what they could do in the offseason.

Back
Top Bottom