Leigh Steinberg on Dan Patrick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Leigh Steinberg on Dan Patrick

I think Ricky will not be suspended but he will definately not be trade worthy, I guess the Broncos wanted to diminish his value to a 5th or 6th rounder, but Saban will keep him and rush him for a 1000 yards along with a 1000 more from Ronnie and make em regret what they did.

DolfanTom said:
Innocent till proven guilty, my friends. Something stinks about the entire way this went down, and the truth will eventually be told!

Bad Analogy. It is more like he has been convicted but is trying to get out on a technicality or with an appeal...but that is just semantics.

LarryFinFan said:
Interesting comment...I can see the correlation..but it's hard to really come to that conclusion because you or I don't really know RW personally. I'd feel better about makign that assumption IF I knew him...

Larry, my son in law was his room mate for a season when they were with the Phillies organization. My son in law is a straight shooter, no nonsense type fellow. He vouches for Ricky's character to me. He has told me while RW may be quirky, he is sincere and HONEST. They have been in touch since their BB playing days. Relying on my S.I.L's opinion of him, I believe if Ricky was guilty of something like this. He would man up. He certainly is not one to succumb to peer pressure. So far, I'm still in RW's camp.

inFINSible said:
dang, I was going to make a mint by going on talk shows and talking about the close friendship we had....:(

:lol: 50/50 inFins ? Go for it, maybe we can pull it off. I'll bet you the real guilty one ain't gonna protest.

I heard the conversation and you covered it completely. He did say the leak was Denver w/o really saying it. He also said Ricky was engaged.

miamirick said:
Even if thats the case...he's done for a year....the NFL doesn't differentiate between weed and an herbal supplement that is on their list of banned substances...It is up to the players, especially ones that are in Ricky's situation, to know everything that they are putting in their body.

While this is certainly true, If there is a credible belief that Ricky did not take a banned substance willfully, I find it hard to believe that the NFL would be so draconian in their punishment if it could possibly be the end of the man's career.

Samphin said:
Bad Analogy. It is more like he has been convicted but is trying to get out on a technicality or with an appeal...but that is just semantics.

The way the process works, it actually is more like he was arrested and the appeal is his trial. They've got some evidence, but they are going to hear the other side before they render judgement.

They have a sample taken at the same time that they haven't tested yet, and the new test will be much more thorough... it may delineate between a substance on the list or a substance that is testing AS IF it were on the list.

This happens all the time. That's what the appeal is for.

I think the word appeal is misleading here, because it is the first time the player gets to plead his case... not the same thing as a legal appeal at all.

But the point remains... we only know that he failed the test... that doesn't mean anything more than that... it doesn't mean he took anything on the list, it just means the first test says he did.

I'll wait to see what happens, because the possibilities are all over the spectrum right now.

No one should proclaim him guilty OR innocent until we know the facts, in my opinion.

nopony said:
The way the process works, it actually is more like he was arrested and the appeal is his trial. They've got some evidence, but they are going to hear the other side before they render judgement.

They have a sample taken at the same time that they haven't tested yet, and the new test will be much more thorough... it may delineate between a substance on the list or a substance that is testing AS IF it were on the list.

I think the word appeal is misleading here, because it is the first time the player gets to plead his case... not the same thing as a legal appeal at all.

But the point remains... we only know that he failed the test... that doesn't mean anything more than that... it doesn't mean he took anything on the list, it just means the first test says he did.

I'll wait to see what happens, because the possibilities are all over the spectrum right now.

No one should proclaim him guilty OR innocent until we know the facts, in my opinion.

Thank's for the clarification. It seemed to me that the failed test was the trial (guilty) and the appeal was an appeal from the guilty verdict. I'm more optimistic if this is the way it works.

nopony said:

You are assuming, of course, that the NFL is a democracy. It clearly is not. So, a trial isn't really even in the cards. The NFL is much more of a dictatorship, where punishment is handed out beforehand and trials are rare. :tongue:

All I know is that it doesn't look good for Ricky, even if it was only a supplement.

Samphin said:
You are assuming, of course, that the NFL is a democracy. It clearly is not. So, a trial isn't really even in the cards. The NFL is much more of a dictatorship, where punishment is handed out beforehand and trials are rare. :tongue:

All I know is that it doesn't look good for Ricky, even if it was only a supplement.

No, just an analogy. But they didn't hand down the punishment until the appeal, and they never do.

Pure odds say you're right about it looking bad for Ricky. But we can't know how his specific cahnce is because we have no idea what's going on.

Samphin said:

Yes and No. I think they do try to run it like a dictatorship. But you do have a player's union and you do have a higher authority- the courts. Many times in the past the NFL has gone to court and has lost, which is why I believe that if Ricky's offense was more ignorance than willfullness you may see some type of lieniency take place.

at least this rumor backed all trade talks and ricky will stay!

miamirick said:
Even if thats the case...he's done for a year....the NFL doesn't differentiate between weed and an herbal supplement that is on their list of banned substances...It is up to the players, especially ones that are in Ricky's situation, to know everything that they are putting in their body.

I don't want this to happen anymore than the next Dolphin fan, but I don't think its looking too good for #34. Either way, I hope they find a way to sue the crap out of someone...whether it be the Broncos, the NFL, the NFLPA...These types of leaks undermine the entire purpose of the agreement and could totally wreck a player's worth....Even if this proves to be false, and Ricky is exonerated, it still diminishes his worth by reminding everyone of the predicament that he's in in the first place.

I read the one article that stated that many players have appealed and won because of situations just like this. Rickys situation is a bit different because he quit football for his thrid violation. So really, he failed twice with the drugs. Bruce Smith failed a test twice. So I think under the circumstances of the leak and all, if it is just an herbal tea thing, he will be givin another chance. It just sends a bad message to kids that you can clean up your act and body, yet still be labled a druggie because of a stupid policy that they breached in the first place!

If I were Ricky, and if they ban me from football, I would sue the league with all my power because the league wanted to make Ricky a poster boy for the congress which will backfire if it is an herb tea thing. Herbal teas are not illegal. Phen fen or whatever you call itis considered an herbal remedy by just about everyone on this friggin planet, so when the news released on what it actually is, I think will determine rickys ultimate fate. Paul Tagliabue would be a huge *******, moreso than he already is if he does not see the crap that has been created here.

PhinGeneral said:
Yes and No. I think they do try to run it like a dictatorship. But you do have a player's union and you do have a higher authority- the courts. Many times in the past the NFL has gone to court and has lost, which is why I believe that if Ricky's offense was more ignorance than willfullness you may see some type of lieniency take place.

If this gets taken to court, then it will be the privacy issue. That surely is something that the courts take very seriously. And we are not talking terrrorism here.

Samphin said:

He has been convicted in the court of public opinion because of a leak. We are not even suppose to know about this and yet we do. We wouldnt even be discussing this and yet we are. That is a breach of contract. Its really plain and simple. The law was broken clearly just as much as Ricky failed a test for a substance other than marijuana.

Back
Top Bottom