Leigh Steinberg on Dan Patrick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Leigh Steinberg on Dan Patrick

nopony said:
The way the process works, it actually is more like he was arrested and the appeal is his trial. They've got some evidence, but they are going to hear the other side before they render judgement.

They have a sample taken at the same time that they haven't tested yet, and the new test will be much more thorough... it may delineate between a substance on the list or a substance that is testing AS IF it were on the list.

This happens all the time. That's what the appeal is for.

I think the word appeal is misleading here, because it is the first time the player gets to plead his case... not the same thing as a legal appeal at all.

But the point remains... we only know that he failed the test... that doesn't mean anything more than that... it doesn't mean he took anything on the list, it just means the first test says he did.

I'll wait to see what happens, because the possibilities are all over the spectrum right now.

No one should proclaim him guilty OR innocent until we know the facts, in my opinion.

I agree with this. :dolphins:

this is still my only issue with what Steinberg said...or didn't say.
He won't comment on the defense...or what exactly is the charge...stating this is how leak's start.

Ok, great
But it just tells me Steinberg does not have the "Poppy Seed" Defense in his arsenal....unlikely he has the "too much water" defense either. Because if Steinberg had those defense's he would use them.
"Big misunderstanding we will win the appeal" He doesn't even have to say Why, but tell me this is a mistake and easily explainable.

Unless Ricky told him to say nothing about nothing of course, then forget all that...

But most lawyers/agents would use say these types of things, Sell Sell Sell...if they could.
I have a feeling they are facing something that is not easy to explain, I smell confusion, anger ...not confidence in victory

Didn't I read earlier that someone posted that Leigh said he could not answer and WOULD not answer certain questions and talk about certain things in an attempt to maintain the privacy policy of the Drug Policy. I believe this is the reason you're not "Hearing those defenses" coming out from him, that he doesn't want to comment on anything that might viloate any privacy policy and that he'll wait until everything is said and done and he's either convicted or found innocent and set free of the NFL suspension.

Im hoping that things turn out well for Ricky. Seeing him come back this past season and put forward the performance he did on the field and in the lockeroom was courageous. I hope this is a case of some substance being in his cereal that he didnt know about or sumthin to that end.

No matter who Ricky plays for, I just hope he plays..cause he is sumthin to behold.
I wouldnt be mad if Denver gave a second and fourth up for him....

.......not what you wanna hear, eh?

Steinberg is fuming for nothing. For all we know he leaked the info himself. Denver had nothing to gain by leaking the information.
Rickys value hinges on whether the test results hold up or not......nothing else.

Why doesn't the NFL just say what Ricky is in hot water for and what the banned substance is??? Why the secrecy at this point? :confused:

Ricky is so spiritual and to some flaky. To admit some of his feelings, goals, aspirations, etc that he has, I'd find it hard to beleive that he suddenly now wants to lie and hide the truth.

nopony said:
The way the process works, it actually is more like he was arrested and the appeal is his trial. They've got some evidence, but they are going to hear the other side before they render judgement.

They have a sample taken at the same time that they haven't tested yet, and the new test will be much more thorough... it may delineate between a substance on the list or a substance that is testing AS IF it were on the list.

This happens all the time. That's what the appeal is for.

I think the word appeal is misleading here, because it is the first time the player gets to plead his case... not the same thing as a legal appeal at all.

But the point remains... we only know that he failed the test... that doesn't mean anything more than that... it doesn't mean he took anything on the list, it just means the first test says he did.

I'll wait to see what happens, because the possibilities are all over the spectrum right now.

No one should proclaim him guilty OR innocent until we know the facts, in my opinion.

Absolutely wrong. This country's judicial system was built on the conrnerstone that you are innocent until proven guilty We are too quick to judge based on media reports which are 1) half true 2) embelished 3) exagerated 4) incomplete and so forth. We need to assume status quo until presented with all the facts from both sides. Not proclaiming him innocent is the same as proclaiming him guilty.

themole said:
Wasn't this one! I believe a man has a right to due process.

Edit: BTW..I've seen much speculation around here on should we trade Ricky. Now with this happening and his trade value at 0 it just occured to me that this may be Steinbergs way of insureing Ricky stays where he feels most comfortable. With the Dolphins! maybe it's a well hatched plan by Agent and Player. (S.E.G)

I am more inclined to believe that the leak did come from the Broncos in order to drive Ricky's trade value down (so that they could pick him up cheap). Shanahan is just the crooked kind of guy that would pull something like that.

fishfan34 said:
Didn't I read earlier that someone posted that Leigh said he could not answer and WOULD not answer certain questions and talk about certain things in an attempt to maintain the privacy policy of the Drug Policy. I believe this is the reason you're not "Hearing those defenses" coming out from him, that he doesn't want to comment on anything that might viloate any privacy policy and that he'll wait until everything is said and done and he's either convicted or found innocent and set free of the NFL suspension.

Yes yes, that is all fine and good, but my point remains the same.
I still believe IF he could he would be signing a different tune, Ricky may authorize Leigh to speak, Rick may waive his confidentially if he chooses, and if it was in their interest, I can't see why they wouldn't... unless of course Ricky told him to say nothing, even if it could help him. I believe Leigh WANTS to help him in every single way he could, legally and publicly.

Nothing proves nothing, I just have this feeling it's not an easily explained or a trivial positive result they are dealing with here.

bigmiamifan said:
Absolutely wrong. This country's judicial system was built on the conrnerstone that you are innocent until proven guilty We are too quick to judge based on media reports which are 1) half true 2) embelished 3) exagerated 4) incomplete and so forth. We need to assume status quo until presented with all the facts from both sides. Not proclaiming him innocent is the same as proclaiming him guilty.

We are discussing the NFL not the American judicial system...

finfan54 said:
I read the one article that stated that many players have appealed and won because of situations just like this. Rickys situation is a bit different because he quit football for his thrid violation. So really, he failed twice with the drugs. Bruce Smith failed a test twice. So I think under the circumstances of the leak and all, if it is just an herbal tea thing, he will be givin another chance. It just sends a bad message to kids that you can clean up your act and body, yet still be labled a druggie because of a stupid policy that they breached in the first place!

If I were Ricky, and if they ban me from football, I would sue the league with all my power because the league wanted to make Ricky a poster boy for the congress which will backfire if it is an herb tea thing. Herbal teas are not illegal. Phen fen or whatever you call itis considered an herbal remedy by just about everyone on this friggin planet, so when the news released on what it actually is, I think will determine rickys ultimate fate. Paul Tagliabue would be a huge *******, moreso than he already is if he does not see the crap that has been created here.

Wrong. Ricky was busted three times for drugs. The reason he had to stay away until a certain date last year was because retiring basically made it a fourth failed test and a year's suspension. The fact that he remained away for as long as he did, somehow reneged that and that is why he only had to serve his four game one last year. Make no mistake though, he failed three drug tests, prior to the current one.

PhinGeneral said:
While this is certainly true, If there is a credible belief that Ricky did not take a banned substance willfully, I find it hard to believe that the NFL would be so draconian in their punishment if it could possibly be the end of the man's career.

You think that if a 3 time offender fails a test because of a suppliment that is on the banned list, and he says, "Opps. Sorry. I didn't know I took that." or "Sorry. I didn't know that was on the banned list" that the NFL is going to forgive him?

I'm gonna try that if I get a speeding ticket.

Bigbucks: "Sorry Judge, I did know I was speeding. Besides, I didn't know the speed limit."

Judge: "Well Mr. Bucks, you have had 3 other speeding tickets lately. But if you didn't mean to speed, then I guess no harm, no foul. No fine. You can leave, Mr. Bucks."

I'm gonna have to try this defense.

I posted this on another recent Ricky thread...but it makes sense here as a follow up...

NFL Network just stated that Leigh Steinberg was on a Radio Station and stated he just spoke with Ricky and Ricky denied 100% that he took any illegal drug that would cause a failed test. Leigh says Ricky will be returning soon and will feels very confident that once he understands what the NFL says he did to fail, he will win his appeal.

I cant find any other confirmation, but if Leigh has spoken with Ricky and he is accurately stating the "conviction" Ricky has that he is wrongly accused that could bode well.

I only say this since in the past Ricky has been honest in his behavior, and this time he clearly is stating something doesnt make sense with this test failure, etc.

As I have said before, I will wait for all the FACTS to come out to understand what has happened here.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
I posted this on another recent Ricky thread...but it makes sense here as a follow up...

NFL Network just stated that Leigh Steinberg was on a Radio Station and stated he just spoke with Ricky and Ricky denied 100% that he took any illegal drug that would cause a failed test. Leigh says Ricky will be returning soon and will feels very confident that once he understands what the NFL says he did to fail, he will win his appeal.

I cant find any other confirmation, but if Leigh has spoken with Ricky and he is accurately stating the "conviction" Ricky has that he is wrongly accused that could bode well.

I only say this since in the past Ricky has been honest in his behavior, and this time he clearly is stating something doesnt make sense with this test failure, etc.

As I have said before, I will wait for all the FACTS to come out to understand what has happened here.

Right on. Thanks. i do like that Ricky has always been honest about it.

Man, how great would it be if this WAS a screw-up on the testing end.

We get Ricky back to keep or trade, with a brand new aura of clean living around him.

That'd be pretty great.

Keepin fingers crossed.

bigmiamifan said:

very nicely put.

Back
Top Bottom