Leigh Steinberg on Dan Patrick | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Leigh Steinberg on Dan Patrick

things might actually work out even better this offseason.

IF it turns out Ricky isnt suspended and is allowed to play.

We might have a chance at picking up Brees (there was speculation that one of the reasons Ricky being traded was even being considered was to aid us in picking up a QB in the draft)

when all is said and done we might end up with Brees plus we might get to keep the tandem RB's :) and who knows what else could happen.

All I know is I can definately picture all of the pieces coming together

Lungoystr said:
I am more inclined to believe that the leak did come from the Broncos in order to drive Ricky's trade value down (so that they could pick him up cheap). Shanahan is just the crooked kind of guy that would pull something like that.

I believe this to be true, but the NFL has the responsibility of communicating the rules, if they dont follow those rules, the Denver Broncos are a franchise, therefore an extension of the NFL.

Samphin said:
Wrong. Ricky was busted three times for drugs. The reason he had to stay away until a certain date last year was because retiring basically made it a fourth failed test and a year's suspension. The fact that he remained away for as long as he did, somehow reneged that and that is why he only had to serve his four game one last year. Make no mistake though, he failed three drug tests, prior to the current one.

I was speaking in the sense of actually being caught failing the test via actual piss test. You are not wrong Samphin, but Ricky is being made a poster boy here, but in reality, how many players do you think have some kind of illegal substance in there bodies right now as we speak? Alot of players dont get tested. Ricky however gets tested up to 10 times a month. Hardly a way to live a life. I dont think you need to go overboard like that after being clean for 9-10 months. The timing of this whole deal, the leak, and the changing stories tell me this was a set up.

finfan54 said:
I was speaking in the sense of actually being caught failing the test via actual piss test. You are not wrong Samphin, but Ricky is being made a poster boy here, but in reality, how many players do you think have some kind of illegal substance in there bodies right now as we speak? Alot of players dont get tested. Ricky however gets tested up to 10 times a month. Hardly a way to live a life. I dont think you need to go overboard like that after being clean for 9-10 months. The timing of this whole deal, the leak, and the changing stories tell me this was a set up.
Very well said finfan! I think of all the things Ricky Williams is, that one of the key things is that he's HONEST! If he says this test cannot be accurate, then i'm behind him until i'm given proof to the contrary..

finfan54 said:

He did fail the actual piss test three times. The retirement part counted as the fourth, unless he stayed away for a certain amount of time, and he did. The four game suspension was not due to retiring, it was due to a failed third piss test that he failed before retiring.

I guess I just disagree. The player's union agreed to these stipulations and it is up to said player's to know what is, and isn't acceptable to be in their bodies. It is also their responsibility not to miss tests, as was the rumor here for awhile. People think that he may be off the hook if it was just some herbal supplement. Not if any of those ingredients is on the banned substance list. The test doesn't take into account intent, therefore all it knows is that it is illegal by their standards and you fail.

My personal opinion is that if you look at it subjectively and (assuming the "accidental" dosage thoery is valid) see that Ricky's intent was not to cheat/get high, then you let it be and perhaps give a fine out. However, this is an objective test and its criteria is simple.

From what I heard from Steinberg, I have a feeling that this is going to be a gray area where Ricky will be suspended, but for some BS little supplement that he would probably have little to no effect on him.

Not sure if this little nugget has been shared...but if a player (being tested), shows to have been consuming lots of water, the test rolls 'positive', because in the mind of the machine/tester, that player must be trying to mask/hide something.

johngarry said:
Not sure if this little nugget has been shared...but if a player (being tested), shows to have been consuming lots of water, the test rolls 'positive', because in the mind of the machine/tester, that player must be trying to mask/hide something.

you had to know this was coming :wink: :

source? :confused:

Check with any employer/human resource mgr/union rep. Ask for the +/- of their test parameters (what shows pos/neg). Any boost in water/sodium consumption; heck 2-too many "martini's" will quiver your liver and red-light the test!

lazareth said:
you had to know this was coming :wink: :

source? :confused:

He's right. We were talking about it yesterday. Not that that's what happened here, but yes, too much water can be deemed a masking agent.

There are all kinds of ways these tests can go wrong. False postives happen all the time. Heck, they even happen on HIV tests. How'd you like to get THAT call from the clinic.

As to the committee's decision... yes the test is objective, but the committee can be subjective. If they decide that Ricky doesn't deserve suspension, they can do that. That might happen in a case where what he tested positive for was something they deem he tool not only not purposefully, but also not carelessly. A tea with unlabeled poppy seeds. Something he couldn't have known about. whatever.

Really, the possibilities of what happened are endless. Way too early to decide he must be guilty either way.

Good post, i too believe he will get off, why would ricky lie now about taking drugs, he's openly admitted it in the past, if he said he didn't thistime and the fact of how his confidentiallity in the pa agreement was breached, i don't see how the nfl could not overturn this

I want to keep Ricky. I think there is probably a good explanation for all of this. One question somewhat related: Did the Broncos contact Miami about getting Ricky or did Miami contact Denver? I thought Saban was very happy with Ricky?

This mystery baffles the clueless, no?

Les' hope for more clues.....................

gofins said:
I want to keep Ricky. I think there is probably a good explanation for all of this. One question somewhat related: Did the Broncos contact Miami about getting Ricky or did Miami contact Denver? I thought Saban was very happy with Ricky?

Saban was very happy with Ricky... but with Ronnie Brown, Ricky becomes a luxury not a need. We have too many needs to indulge in luxury right yet. If he can get value... and the rumors were a high pick from Denver... he has to take it.

Back
Top Bottom