Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations

buttonwood

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know a lot of you are really excited to see the Dolphins improve this year, i'm sure a lot of you think they will be a playoff contender and take a large leap forward. I dont agree , and ill tell you why.
First there is the still churning of the roster. The offensive line is completely new and (supposedly) improved. This has been the training camp story ever since Richmond Webb and Keith Sims were drafted together in 1990. I cant remember an offseason when we didnt have a new staff saying how this line was going to be........ Insert superlatives here........
Maybe this year is different but,

Second, This was the worst defense in the league last year, and is now being coached by its 5th different coordinator in 6 years. (Not sure on the accuracy on that but its close.) You could call them the no name defense, but thats an insult to our beloved band of champions. They could be called the nobodys however, because other than Howard who is injury prone at best theres not many guys who have made a name for themselves in this league. They might improve and the scheme may be favorable and this and that, blah blah blah.... you get the point

The Third and biggest obstacle to me is obviously the lack of offseason. There hasnt been any real sweating, hitting or real time to get these guys together and thats a massive problem with a young team still in their NFL Diapers. Throw in a bunch of new coaches, a second year coach , Who really hasnt done anything but beat an aging Pats team in Foxboro, and I see a recipie for 4-12 to maybe 7-9. Thats my thought, id love to see us take a major step forward but I just cant see it this year.

tenor.gif

I know a lot of you are really excited to see the Dolphins improve this year, i'm sure a lot of you think they will be a playoff contender and take a large leap forward. I dont agree , and ill tell you why.
First there is the still churning of the roster. The offensive line is completely new and (supposedly) improved. This has been the training camp story ever since Richmond Webb and Keith Sims were drafted together in 1990. I cant remember an offseason when we didnt have a new staff saying how this line was going to be........ Insert superlatives here........

Second, This was the worst defense in the league last year, and is now being coached by its 5th different coordinator in 6 years. (Not sure on the accuracy on that but its close.) You could call them the no name defense, but thats an insult to our beloved band of champions. They could be called the nobodys however, because other than Howard who is injury prone at best theres not many guys who have made a name for themselves in this league. They might improve and the scheme may be favorable and this and that, blah blah blah.... you get the point

The Third and biggest obstacle to me is obviously the lack of offseason. There hasnt been any real sweating, hitting or real time to get these guys together and thats a massive problem with a young team still in their NFL Diapers. Throw in a bunch of new coaches, a second year coach , Who really hasnt done anything but beat an aging Pats team in Foxboro, and I see a recipie for 4-12 to maybe 7-9. Thats my thought, id love to see us take a major step forward but I just cant see it this year.
A little bit glass half empty but I cannot disagree with your facts.
I would rather win 3 games than 8.
OL will be better in 2021 as will Tua.

Great negative take.....on the flip side...this coach got his team to win 5 out of its last 9 with far less talent.

The offensive line will be better than last year...a full season of Preston Williams alongside Devante Parker. The continued growth of Gesecki....Byron Jones and Iggy making the secondary possibly elite. The improved talent in the front 7 and the improved backfield.

Tua, Rosen’s growth.....this team could make noise.

The best I can see looking at the schedule objectively is 7 wins.

If I am right about that i hope they drop a couple of those and go 5-11 again.

Draft as high as possible, win in 2021.

On paper things look improved. Flores brought in scheme fits. Let's hope the apparent on paper improvement doesn't turn out to be a paper tiger.

A number of us have been arguing Miami won't (ummm, realistically) win 9-10 games. The biggest reason, as you note, is limited practices and no PS. That combined with (maybe) 3 rookies and (maybe) 5 new faces on OL make for a rough start. Half the D could be new faces. No one knows which RF will show up.
The good news is, every reasonable fan admits Miami has a lot of potential this year. The bad news is it's 'potential.' Fans also know some of that great potential will disappoint. That's reality. Some of that limited potential will surprise. No one knows who those are. Happily, by potential, Miami has more talent than '19. It will be game 8 before any moderately accurate analysis can be done.
I wouldn't be shocked if Miami is an 'in the hunt' team if only the last 8 games count, but those 1st 8 may be messy.

6-10 is probably realistic, too many rookies especially on the oline but it is year 2 of the rebuild so would be content with that as long as we see improvement and a clear philosophy on both sides as the young guys bed in.

Back
Top Bottom