Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations

I know a lot of you are really excited to see the Dolphins improve this year, i'm sure a lot of you think they will be a playoff contender and take a large leap forward. I dont agree , and ill tell you why.
First there is the still churning of the roster. The offensive line is completely new and (supposedly) improved. This has been the training camp story ever since Richmond Webb and Keith Sims were drafted together in 1990. I cant remember an offseason when we didnt have a new staff saying how this line was going to be........ Insert superlatives here........
Maybe this year is different but,

Second, This was the worst defense in the league last year, and is now being coached by its 5th different coordinator in 6 years. (Not sure on the accuracy on that but its close.) You could call them the no name defense, but thats an insult to our beloved band of champions. They could be called the nobodys however, because other than Howard who is injury prone at best theres not many guys who have made a name for themselves in this league. They might improve and the scheme may be favorable and this and that, blah blah blah.... you get the point

The Third and biggest obstacle to me is obviously the lack of offseason. There hasnt been any real sweating, hitting or real time to get these guys together and thats a massive problem with a young team still in their NFL Diapers. Throw in a bunch of new coaches, a second year coach , Who really hasnt done anything but beat an aging Pats team in Foxboro, and I see a recipie for 4-12 to maybe 7-9. Thats my thought, id love to see us take a major step forward but I just cant see it this year.
Great negative take.....on the flip side...this coach got his team to win 5 out of its last 9 with far less talent.

The offensive line will be better than last year...a full season of Preston Williams alongside Devante Parker. The continued growth of Gesecki....Byron Jones and Iggy making the secondary possibly elite. The improved talent in the front 7 and the improved backfield.

Tua, Rosen’s growth.....this team could make noise.

It all comes down to QB play. We over achieved last year. This team can’t afford fitz to take any steps back

If things go perfectly... we don't lose any starters to injuries... AND New England AND Buffalo get rocked with problems... then maybe.

I'm not gonna say 'never', but I will say, 'unlikely'.

tenor.gif
That would be the Ice Ribbit Bucket challenge.

I know a lot of you are really excited to see the Dolphins improve this year, i'm sure a lot of you think they will be a playoff contender and take a large leap forward. I dont agree , and ill tell you why.
First there is the still churning of the roster. The offensive line is completely new and (supposedly) improved. This has been the training camp story ever since Richmond Webb and Keith Sims were drafted together in 1990. I cant remember an offseason when we didnt have a new staff saying how this line was going to be........ Insert superlatives here........
Maybe this year is different but,

Second, This was the worst defense in the league last year, and is now being coached by its 5th different coordinator in 6 years. (Not sure on the accuracy on that but its close.) You could call them the no name defense, but thats an insult to our beloved band of champions. They could be called the nobodys however, because other than Howard who is injury prone at best theres not many guys who have made a name for themselves in this league. They might improve and the scheme may be favorable and this and that, blah blah blah.... you get the point

The Third and biggest obstacle to me is obviously the lack of offseason. There hasnt been any real sweating, hitting or real time to get these guys together and thats a massive problem with a young team still in their NFL Diapers. Throw in a bunch of new coaches, a second year coach , Who really hasnt done anything but beat an aging Pats team in Foxboro, and I see a recipie for 4-12 to maybe 7-9. Thats my thought, id love to see us take a major step forward but I just cant see it this year.

There’s always one Eeyore. I think you’re completely wrong

tua and oline. If we can’t block for a heavy rpo based offense which helps the oline then eegads

OL dominated by rookies = have to have some patience. Tho I really like
the talent we added -- just real tall order with no OTAs and no preseason games
etc. to develop chemistry...

That said, hard to see Tua getting subjected to anything like Rosen last year.
Pretty sure Flores learned a lesson there and no reason to risk a career
when a kid isn't ready and/or the supporting cast is too weak...

It's simply too much to ask in terms of great fortune for the OL to suddenly just
become really solid with so much transformation -- including rookies, new OL coach,
new OC and...

If ??? the big dogs upfront can get 'er done on the ground -- and we can play tuff stingy D
we do have a chance to be competitive in a lot of games -- but playoffs would be a minor miracle IMO.

I know a lot of you are really excited to see the Dolphins improve this year, i'm sure a lot of you think they will be a playoff contender and take a large leap forward.

Depends on what you mean by playoff contender? Do you mean contending for a playoff spot or a serious contender once the playoffs begin? If you mean contending for a playoff spot, I would say that's not out of the realm of possibility.

Rpo based offense has the defense always having to respect the run before thinking pass rush. Ie they can’t pin their ears as long as you maintain the sticks and scoreboard.

like I said if this oline can’t handle that ask when it’s about as o line friendly as it gets we got serious problems.

And that’s the offense we want to run with tua which should in theory protect the qb. Safest bet and also a real strength of the player.

I’d run the same thing with fitz too to get these oline guys used to what’s coming with tua. If in fact I got to watch fitz play which will have me gritting my teeth the entire time

Rpo based offense has the defense always having to respect the run before thinking pass rush. Ie they can’t pin their ears as long as you maintain the sticks and scoreboard.

like I said if this oline can’t handle that ask when it’s about as o line friendly as it gets we got serious problems.

And that’s the offense we want to run with tua which should in theory protect the qb. Safest bet and also a real strength of the player.

I’d run the same thing with fitz too to get these oline guys used to what’s coming with tua. If in fact I got to watch fitz play which will have me gritting my teeth the entire time

You gonna run RPO with Fitz? You wanna get the man killed???

:lol:

The best I can see looking at the schedule objectively is 7 wins.

If I am right about that i hope they drop a couple of those and go 5-11 again.

Draft as high as possible, win in 2021.
Get out the strength of schedule stuff. 2016 looked hard as **** in August then in January people said we benefited from an easy schedule.

You gonna run RPO with Fitz? You wanna get the man killed???

:lol:

payton mannin was a star in denver running the RPO and he has less mobility than fitz. do we want fitz running a qb option sweep...nope. rpo, yeah thats fine. you either handoff to running back or throw the ball unless you have an elite running optiok at qb...... but dont forget who our leading rusher was last season

Back
Top Bottom