Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations

I'm fine with 7-9 or 8-8, as long as there are no 59-0 losses along the way and we at least split with the AFCE. Steady improvement and increased cohesion will lead to a culture of winning.

Good perspective. Thanks!

I guess I just assume/see a legit "RPO" being run by a QB who can challenge the D
with either his arm or legs... But I guess there's more than one way to run an RPO
or something that at least looks like a duck and quacks like quail!

:lol:

>>> All in fun!
think of the success Nick Foles had in Philly running the RPO, his TD to Int ratio was 27/2 I believe..stationary Qb as well, I know Tua is a perfect fit to do it but I think Fitz can get the seat warm for him doing the same.. plus Fitz can run on occasion and be smart Before the hit.

Last edited:
If you want to lower your expectations so that you don't flip your lid when we get off to a bad start I get it. But, I can't buy into the negative point of view. We improved greatly since last year and it will show on the field. Our pass defense is loaded and we brought in run stuffers and pass rushers on the front 7. We got bigger, stronger and more talented on defense so it's tough for me, with Flo leading the troops, to not expect us to be pretty good on that side of the ball. We also are a good deal faster. On offense we changed the entire o-line except for Davis. Davis is having a good camp and will likely start at RT next to Robert Hunt at RG. The C is guy we got from the Pats, Karras. LT will be Austin Jackson and he's looking very good. In addition Solomon Kindley, who is massive and powerful, will likely be inserted at LG. The new RBs are way more talented than what we had last year so another sizable upgrade. I'm eager to see Jordan Howard and Matt Breida do good thing for the Dolphins. Fitz is Fitz but Tua, remember him, is coming on in camp. He is already impressing in a big way. In my view he will be the starter for the final 8 games. He just too good to leave on the bench. The receivers with Parker and Williams coming back healthy, is a very strong unit and finally I'm a huge fan of Gisecki!! I also think we have a top 3 coach in the NFL. With all that said the virus hurt us more than other teams because we are now the youngest team in the NFL. That means we're going to keep improving as a unit. I see us as an ascending, scrappy team that can hang with anybody. Once the o-line gels and Tua gets inserted were a different team going forward, one that WILL compete for Championships in a year or 2.

Anything is possible this year because no one got OTAs or preseason. I expect the first month of the season to be wild and unpredictable. So really, a strong start is not out of the question and I do expect a stronger team at the end much like last year.

You mentioned "reigning in optimism".

The overly optimistic poster never bothers me as much as the negative ones. Those guys who are always miserable, you know the ones... our GM sucks; that linebacker is garbage; only a fool would think our safety will get any better: I knew from the start that..."

I've never used the mute button here, but there are three or four guys who I've been tempted to use it upon. They are SUCH a drag.

Give me that Pollyanna guy over any of those miserable wretches.

Well, yeah...but I used "rein."

I'm sorry. That was driving me nuts. I'm a grammar lunatic.

If you want to lower your expectations so that you don't flip your lid when we get off to a bad start I get it. But, I can't buy into the negative point of view. We improved greatly since last year and it will show on the field. Our pass defense is loaded and we brought in run stuffers and pass rushers on the front 7. We got bigger, stronger and more talented on defense so it's tough for me, with Flo leading the troops, to not expect us to be pretty good on that side of the ball. We also are a good deal faster. On offense we changed the entire o-line except for Davis. Davis is having a good camp and will likely start at RT next to Robert Hunt at RG. The C is guy we got from the Pats, Karras. LT will be Austin Jackson and he's looking very good. In addition Solomon Kindley, who is massive and powerful, will likely be inserted at LG. The new RBs are way more talented than what we had last year so another sizable upgrade. I'm eager to see Jordan Howard and Matt Breida do good thing for the Dolphins. Fitz is Fitz but Tua, remember him, is coming on in camp. He is already impressing in a big way. In my view he will be the starter for the final 8 games. He just too good to leave on the bench. The receivers with Parker and Williams coming back healthy, is a very strong unit and finally I'm a huge fan of Gisecki!! I also think we have a top 3 coach in the NFL. With all that said the virus hurt us more than other teams because we are now the youngest team in the NFL. That means we're going to keep improving as a unit. I see us as an ascending, scrappy team that can hang with anybody. Once the o-line gels and Tua gets inserted were a different team going forward, one that WILL compete for Championships in a year or 2.
While I expect this Dolphin team to be better than the 2019 team, that doesn’t mean their record will be better than last year. The schedule this year appears much more difficult on paper than the 2019 schedule. While the defense appears better, the offensive line will likely struggle for much of the season while the young offensive linemen try to adjust to the NFL.

Fitzpatrick is an excellent backup QB but I don’t seem him leading this team to more than 5 or 6 wins. I don’t expect to see Tua playing until late in the season if at all in 2020. I think they want to give his hip plenty of time to heal and I doubt they will want him to take the hits the OL will giving up during the season.

While Parker and Williams are solid starters at WR, there isn’t a lot of depth behind them at the WR position since Wilson and Hurns opted out. Parker played well last year but he needs to show he can continue at that level and avoid injuries which plagued him during his first four years with the team. Williams is coming off a major leg injury and while he has looked good in camp so far, only time will tell how the leg will hold up during the season. If either Parker or Williams go down for a few games or the season with an injury, the Dolphins will be hurting at the WR position.

The new RB’s will only have success if they get solid blocking from the OL. Therefore it will not surprise me if they both struggle early in the season as the OL also struggles to find cohesion. While I certainly hope the Dolphins prove me wrong and they have a winning season, I think a 5-11 or possibly 6-10 season is more likely in 2020.

Last edited:
I understand the OP’s concerns but I still say this division sucks and Miami could win it at 9-7. I’m not buying the Buffalo hype. Even though two rookies, probably 3 rookies will start on the OL , I refuse to believe they’ll be anywhere near as bad as last years group. I actually think they’ll end up being pretty solid run blocking. Also, Miami’s defense was awful the first half of the season. They were not that bad down the stretch and this unit is much more talented and could be the best defense in the East with a health X. So the cold water did nothing for me. I expect to win the East.

Bless you. Myself is too.:wink

giphy.gif

Keep in mind alot of guys are reading your posts on a cellphone, paragraphs are your friend. Im not mocking you, this is a genuine advice so more people can read your posts instead of skipping them.

As for the subject at hand...

The Fins told us they werent trying to contend this season when they decided to fix the OL through the draft instead of FA. Right then and there you know they're willing to go through growing pains for at least one more season... Now that doesnt mean it cant happen, it just means its unlikely and its all part of the plan IMO...

Keep in mind alot of guys are reading your posts on a cellphone, paragraphs are your friend. Im not mocking you, this is a genuine advice so more people can read your posts instead of skipping them.

As for the subject at hand...

The Fins told us they werent trying to contend this season when they decided to fix the OL through the draft instead of FA. Right then and there you know they're willing to go through growing pains for at least one more season... Now that doesnt mean it cant happen, it just means its unlikely and its all part of the plan IMO...
Well, it's nearly certain that we will have 2 FAs starting on the line, so that isn't really accurate.

I do agree that the powers that be are taking a realistic approach to sustained success, rather than quick fixes.

I understand the OP’s concerns but I still say this division sucks and Miami could win it at 9-7. I’m not buying the Buffalo hype. Even though two rookies, probably 3 rookies will start on the OL , I refuse to believe they’ll be anywhere near as bad as last years group. I actually think they’ll end up being pretty solid run blocking. Also, Miami’s defense was awful the first half of the season. They were not that bad down the stretch and this unit is much more talented and could be the best defense in the East with a health X. So the cold water did nothing for me. I expect to win the East.

Seems I read somewhere (here?) someone compared Miami's O and D stats using only the last 8 games. The D ranked in upper 20's in a number of categories. Not good, but better than the 1st 8 and not 'League's worst.' OTOH, as a number of us point out, the 1st 8 games this fall will not show the 'real' team talent. I think 1972 is close. I think the team is better, but it may not show in record.

I get a little annoyed at predictions with caveats like 'if DVP and PW stay healthy,' or, 'if X hasn't lost a step.' While those are legitimate concerns, I never remember reading an article predicting NFL records and seeing 'if Rodgers stays healthy' or 'if Ben plays the entire season.' Those predictions are made assuming the starters play the entire season. I'll assume all starters are injury free. BUT, the difference is so much of Miami's season depends on 'potential.'

Well, it's nearly certain that we will have 2 FAs starting on the line, so that isn't really accurate.

I do agree that the powers that be are taking a realistic approach to sustained success, rather than quick fixes.
Look at money spent though, clearly proven veteran OL wasnt at the top of the list in FA... This is not a complaint at all, I actually like that they are showing some restraint in order to build something sustainable...

Back
Top Bottom