Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let me throw a little coldwater on this years expectations

rpo doesn’t mean run tbe qb

Right. I get the loose interpretation.

In such cases I'd term it an HPO!

Ya know -- handoff, pass option!

:lol:

Just seems to me -- in terms of defending

the lack of a legit run threat @QB

in such situations makes it a lot easier to handle...

One of your favorite Dolphins of all time was pretty tricky

with that aspect of the RPO -- and used to get some chunk yardage

when he took off around the end... (or was that more aptly defined

as a read option???

Right. I get the loose interpretation.

In such cases I'd term it an HPO!

Ya know -- handoff, pass option!

:lol:

Just seems to me -- in terms of defending

the lack of a legit run threat @QB

in such situations makes it a lot easier to handle...

One of your favorite Dolphins of all time was pretty tricky

with that aspect of the RPO -- and used to get some chunk yardage

when he took off around the end... (or was that more aptly defined

as a read option???

you are imagining a read option, or zone read

Well, yeah...but I used "rein."

I'm sorry. That was driving me nuts. I'm a grammar lunatic.
Lol... should have caught that. I'm an amateur writer... and that pretty much proves why I'm an amateur.

Let's say our pass protection didnt improve...but our run-blocking improves a lot (which is very likely based on the players we've brought in).
That, by itself means many better down & distance situations which makes our passing game much more dangerous.
If Preston is what he was last year then we've got 2 WRs that are murder in single coverage to go with a seam threat and a RB who can outrun anyone on the field if he catches passes out of the backfield.
Unless Fitz takes a step back (which is posdible but not likely, I struggle to see us not being better than last year.

Let's say our pass protection didnt improve...but our run-blocking improves a lot (which is very likely based on the players we've brought in).
That, by itself means many better down & distance situations which makes our passing game much more dangerous.
If Preston is what he was last year then we've got 2 WRs that are murder in single coverage to go with a seam threat and a RB who can outrun anyone on the field if he catches passes out of the backfield.
Unless Fitz takes a step back (which is posdible but not likely, I struggle to see us not being better than last year.

Yup. A good run game helps the pass game on 1D and 2D

Xavien Howard, Byron Jones, Kyle Van Noy all have made a name for themselves. Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, Jerome Baker, Eric Rowe, Bobby McCain are all guys who have a good amount of experience and who have played at a solid to high level. The defense should be much improved, possible injuries and lack of an offseason could hinder that.

As for the offense I totally agree it’s a work in progress. The OL will not be ready to compete at a high level. Expecting 3 rookies to come in and play at a high level is unreasonable. Karras and Flowers are upgrades but let’s not act like we added big time talents neither one of those guys have been great starting caliber players. Work in progress for sure but there is hope. WRs could be disastrous if we have injury’s, if Preston and Vante stay healthy we could be special, if one or both of them get hurt our depth is terrible. RBs are a massive improvement Howard and Brieda are both young, experienced backs whose skill sets compliment each other perfectly.

Overall the team improved as much as you could probably hope for in an offseason. Unless we get blasted by injury’s we should go from being a horrible team to a middle of the pack team with upside. Then next offseason we take the leap add a few more pieces (cough cough JuJu Smith-Schuster) and then we go into a draft with 7 picks in the first 4 rounds and we add the depth and young talent to push us into that perennial playoff contender.

I think the defense will be better than the offense coming out of the gate. I think Flo had a great off-season bringing in talent to his defensive unit. At least on paper the defense seems pretty darn good! Offense is a totally different story and we will only go as far as out o-line will take us. Game one is coming right up and with no pre season it's tough for me to imagine very much cohesion on the o-line. 4 new starters on the o-line must step up and play well. If we drafted and brought in the right players we'll be ok but we don't know that yet. Word out of camp is very encouraging but at this time of the year that's usually the case.

I'm thrilled that sports is back and had a great time watching the Heat whip the Buck's last night. But, I can't wait for opening day for the Dolphin's!! We have a great coach and a great QB. I've been waiting years to say that! Soon we will find out how our GM did on this crucial draft. If he whiffed on the o-line I would hang him.

Back
Top Bottom