Letting Landry walk could be like losing Welker

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsgonewild, Jan 29, 2018.

1. finsgonewild

finsgonewild Pro Bowler

I keep reading fans here who seem content on losing one of our best players. My question is why would you let one of the leagues best possession receivers go for close to nothing? The main argument that I keep hearing is that he wants too much money. Good teams find ways to pay their good players. This past season we paid Cutler over $10 million, Branch at over $8 million a year, and even Kenny Stills got a 4 year and 32 million contract extension. Landry is worth at least those contracts. He is our best player on offense and some of you want to get rid of him? We let Welker go, he went to the Patriots and became the leagues best possession receiver. I hate to say it but I could see the same thing happening with Landry going to the Patriots and dominating us each year.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Chuck-182, ChuckKLINGBEIL and DKphin like this.
  2. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Moderator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I don’t see the Pats spending that much on a slot receiver.

3. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Oh no! Quick OP let’s hurry up and pay him $20M a year to keep him.

4. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

My question to you is
    What was Welker when he was here
    I don't care if he went to the moon to play,
    His production here was not very good

And you might want to stop the Landry to New England
    drama because it's not going to happen...NEVER

Show me one example of Belichick paying a wide receiver
    $14 or $15 million dollars...Heck Gronks base salary is a bit
    over half of Landry's asking price (if believed) I'd
    take Gronk over Landry 7 days a week/365 days a year
    at nearly half price

5. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Anyone who includes the words "Landry" and "Patriots" in the OP of a thread should be banned from creating threads.

Ray R, finomenal, spiketex and 3 others like this.
  6. eger

eger Starter

Could be like losing Bess or Hartline. Two guys in the same position for a big contract and we barely skipped a beat.

russst likes this.
  7. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

First, we tendered Welker and the Patriots spent more than we were willing to spend. Second, Welker never got a ring with the Patriots and actually had a key drop in the Superbowl that if made would have probably won it for them. You act like the Dolphins aren't willing to spend a fair amount, which is not the case.

Ray R, John Biello and DrMultimedia like this.
  8. finsgonewild

finsgonewild Pro Bowler

Welker was a good player for us, look at the terrible teams he had to play for. Guess what we got out of that trade, a second round pick which turned into Samson Satele. I would say that we came out on the losing end of that. If we let Landry walk, who is a very solid player go, it could be a similar bad move. If you can afford Cutler at $10 million this past year, you can find a way to pay the reported $14 million a year.

9. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Question, how many more games does Welker help us win during that time?

10. ANUFan

Exactly! That's my entire point. It's not like the Dolphins aren't willing to pay him between $7M - $11M which absolutely a fair range for him. Landry getting paid anything over $11M is a joke.

I would take it one step further and ask what exactly does Landry bring that says he deserves to be one of the highest paid receivers in the League?

Leads in TDs?
    Leads in total yards?
    Leads in YDP?

What..biggest heart?

11. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

Landry is going to light it up for someone else. NE isn’t going to be a threat for much longer but the team that Landry goes to very well could be. Hell, Landry looked pretty good with Alex Smith throwing to him.

12. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

It’s going to be hard going 6-10 again without Landry.

MelbournePhin and NorFlaFin like this.
  13. eger

eger Starter

Maybe instead of questioning Landry’s lack of TD’s or big play capability. Shift that focus to the offiensive playcalling which has been straight garbage. As the OP said Welker put up rediculous numbers. He showed that talent in Miami, but didn’t flourish. Wonder if that had to do with poor play calling, or failing to open up the playbook a little more.? Maybe there’s reasons Landry runs the short routes - Perhaps he has trouble learning plays maybe someone knows. But Landry has put up solid numbers regardless of the QB instability and poor Play calling.

Dolphins81 likes this.
  14. russst

russst Rookie Finheaven VIP

Did we forget that Thill made Hartline a 1000 yard receiver two years in a row. And that was at the beginning of His career. I hate to lose Landry, but we can't restrict the cap for other important pieces.

15. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member Donator

Welker wasn’t Welker until he left to go play with the best QB to ever play the game. That helped cement his legacy. Landry has a low ceiling and he’s not going to reinvent his game if he leaves. He’s a volume receiver wherever he goes and whomever throws it to him, which won’t be an elite quarterback.

miamiron likes this.
  16. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

If we had not spent 10 million for Cutler we would not be having all these Landry discussions. In hindsight, it was a huge "Brees" level blunder. Hopefully after all the posturing and negotiations they will settle for 12 million/year. The guaranteed money will be large and defining part of the contract.

17. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

And yet another thread about Landry. The man that led us to 4 super bowls in a row......oh wait
    He's gone so get used to it. I'm sure we can still score 17 points a game without him just like we have been doing with him

Ozzy rules!!

18. ANUFan

Unreal! He looked good in a PRO BOWL game? You can't seriously be using that as a foundational rationale for this post. A PRO BOWL "GAME?"

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  19. Danny

And Brandon Marshall scored 4 TD's in a pro bowl game. It means nothing

Ozzy rules!!

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  20. ANUFan

I wouldn't put Landry in Marshall's category. Because, Marshall, on some occasions, can actually dominate a game!

Landry sometimes wins a slant route or beats his man for a 3rd down conversation.

It's a joke to say Landry and Marshall have the same ceiling when it comes to dominating a game.

21. Danny

I'm not comparing the two. What I'm saying is that a pro bowl doesn't mean anything. I'm pretty much agreeing with you but maybe I phased it the wrong way

Ozzy rules!!

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  22. russdoe

russdoe Rookie

I'm finally realizing there will be a new Landry thread every couple days rehashing the same old same old. To the draft forum I go.

23. steviey013

steviey013 A True Fan

Only difference is we'll get nothing if he goes - Welker got us a draft pick

24. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Because we don't have the team around him to justify it, we have too many needs to become relevant
    We don't want to run our offense through the slot receiver
    As you stated ...he is a possession receiver can't stretch the field
    He is not a game changer...doubtful any DC stays awake at night wondering how to defend him
    As stated a couple of times already....we can be just as mediocre without him and have more cap room
    His leadership is questionable....childish antics IMO

These are reasons off the top of my head...he's a good receiver no doubt....but I can't justify paying top receiver money to him....8-10million or find someone else that can help us float around the bottom of the league offensively

DolfanDuBbZ~, Danny and fin415 like this.
  25. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

The point I was eluding to is that Landry is more than a bubble screen or slot WR. Landry with a real QB and real play calling; he will dominate. But, I understand that this consept is over your head.

Indigofire11 likes this.
  26. ANUFan

Please stop! Landry NEEDS a "real QB" AND "real play calling" in order to dominate. First, I suppose, the players that are currently in the league and that are currently dominating are only doing so because they have a "real QB" and "real play calling."

Second, I guess only a player like Landry can benefit from those things. Other players that currently aren't dominating wouldn't benefit at all from having those factors.

The only way Landry can dominate is by having the best of everything.

Got it!

27. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team Finheaven VIP

I too believe we should try to resign him to a fair deal. That means 11M per. If he wants Antonio Brown money then forget it.

The argument that his YAC and TDs are low are more a product of this offense if you ask me. While he will never be a YAC monster, I look for his numbers to go up once he leaves.

28. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

The Pats never paid a lot for their players. I think it took Brady 10 years to crack the double digit millions.
    Landry may end up with a team who gets fooled by his artificial production which was a result of us not having a RB with catching ability and no decent and consistent TE who could catch a pass.

He also won't fit the Patriots because he is as dumb as a doorknob.

Someone will overpay. I hope it is not us.

NBP81 and Indigofire11 like this.
  29. phins_4_ever

He will not. He will get lost. The guy was working of a preseason training camp playbook while in regular season. He will limit offenses to what they can do. Why do you think the Dolphins are holding out?

30. Indigofire11

Indigofire11 Active Member

This stinks :( Landry is my favorite dolphin , except Ricky Williams comes first! :)

31. Indigofire11

Thank you. We need Landry...why be cheap now when this brother is the heart & soul....yes we could a Qb with leadership abilities that will mesh very well Landry. Landry needs to have a young gunslinger to build rapport with. Lost faith in tannehill. I hope we go QB round 1

32. phins_4_ever

I like him. I like to keep him. But only at the right price - and depending on if he can actually grasp a full playbook.

Indigofire11 likes this.
  33. Indigofire11

Eye feel you brother. Whatever happens will be the best for the team...I guess? Trust

34. Indigofire11

Hmmmm I need to make a thread later...something that's been on my mind about TB.,,

35. Indigofire11

Tannenbaum°°

36. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

It all comes down to the contract!

I would love to keep Landry on the team but it comes down to the terms of his contract- I would hope that it works for the team. Look at the bad contracts we have on the books right now and you can see the restraints they cause a team down the line.

Fixing Cap Hell is way harder than filling the position of slot receiver.

37. Highzenga

Highzenga Well-Known Member

We made the mistake by not trading Landry last year. Landry, like welker is replaceable. Can’t fault the guy for getting every dollar he can but if the asking price is too high, let him walk.

38. Indigofire11

I really feel he is more than just a slot unfortunately but I do see where you're coming from. Hmmm I honestly feel like Landry might not be interested anymore....hmmmm he must love it in Miami tho....sad day for fins fans if Landry walks unable to compromise. Last thing I would dislike very much so is that if Tannenbaum flexes ego...this cannot be emotional they need to see this player as explosive, isn't that what this team needs. Landry has bailed this team out numerous occasions...sheesh some of you guys

L o y a l t y , right?

Excuse the typos. Gnarly cut to my hand putting out a fire this morning! Yikes no stitches but it will take time to heal. Yay for patience haha

39. Indigofire11

He as a receiver is replaceable but what about the intangibles? Please Landry has Fire! Fire that this team needs. The right Qb and support could make a very happy & supportive Landry. Just my humbled opinion...i don't know sheet! Just using my intuition to feel this out.

40. Ren

Ren Rookie

Threads like this make me want to start my annual off-season hiatus from FH a week early.