Likely Early Entries | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Likely Early Entries

Boik14 said:
Thanks Boomer. Just a question though: What are your thoughts on Youboty and where do you see him going? i feel as though with his speed, height and stregnth this kid can be another shawn springs type and is probably the best CB in the draft by a fair margin. I know its early to tell but i have been really impressed by his developement. All he really allows wrs to catch are screens and some hitches and with his speed, he should be deadly when he learns better technique.

I think he's a hell of a corner. He does everything that you want in a young corner - his technique is super, he's fluid, he locates the ball early, he tackles, has great size, etc. I think he needs to stay in the game for 60 minutes as he can tend to give up a play through what looks more like sloppiness than lack of talent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him come off the board around the 12-20 area when all's said and done.

I'm a pretty big Canes fan and have gotten to see Devin Hester play...probably not as much as I would want to, but when I see him play two words come to mind...Desmond Howard. Maybe that's too easy...but that's what I see.

It will be interesting to see what Young runs in the 40. If he runs below the 4.5 mark or something comparable to a "fast" wide receiver, then I would draft him just because even if he doesn't become a good QB he's got the raw size/speed combination to be a successful wide receiver no matter how much training he has in the trade. Heck, this is only Matt Jones' first year as a wide receiver in his professional career, and the guy has 5 TDs and 400 yards through 12 games. I know I was unpopular for sticking by my analysis that Matt Jones would become a dominant receiver in the NFL sooner rather than later, but the wide receiver position on a whole is much more sensitive to issues of size/speed combo than other positions are. People look at Haloti Ngata's size/speed combo but that position is not as sensitive to to the ratio as other positions...and certainly not the same as WR. Remember, at one time the WR got flooded with guys who were just track stars and could just run really fast, not football players, because guess what the speed killed and they became really successful doing it (what was the guy's name who just got in the HOF a few years back? Bob Hayes?).

If Young runs like Matt Jones did, then heck I might draft him purely as a WR. These 6'5" guys with 4.4 speed...I don't know where the heck they are coming from (must be the water), but they will be the next trend at the position in the NFL. They don't even need to be all that talented as WRs.

As for playing QB, I guess staying in school would help Young progress but I think sitting the bench in the NFL would help him progress too, just because he gets to be coached by a QB coach and gets to practice with players and learn. Young would probably have to sit for about two years. At this point, I would be a little worried that playing another year at Texas just kind of further sets him in his ways as far as the run-first mentality. I have nothing against quarterbacks who run to set up the pass, if they can pull it off. I think Mike Vick can pull it off. I'm not sure if Vince can or not. One thing you have to keep in mind when seeing he throws to wide open receivers is, he shakes those receivers wide open with his feet, and will continue to do that in the NFL at the next level...so take that for what it's worth.

Any news on Drew Stanton, QB Mich State, on if he is coming out? Boomer, what are your thoughts on him?

Boomer said:
Look for Brady Quinn and Omar Jacobs to stay.

Boomer, question......based on QB's coming out and those staying for another year....if you are in the Miami Front Office, what do you do?

Do you take one of these upcoming draft QB's?
Or do you continue building in other areas of the team one more year, and pass on them and continue to use other veteran FA (Kitna, etc) or current roster NFL QBs (including Sage, Lemon) and wait another year to draft a young gun (if we somehow have a high enough draft pick and we trade up, etc).

You know I like Quinn and just think he is a type that has the pedigy, build, toughness and solid coaching (a Montana/Marino type where the hype isnt making him all-world, but he turns out to be a perfect match and leader for years). Not to mention the Notre Dame link and all!

I just dont think we trade up this year to get that type of QB, and not sure if the mid-round QB's offer enough potential to go after them over another area of need. It seems next year (doesnt it always) may be deeper and better at the QB spot.

Not saying Miami can get or will trade up (expect we wont have a top 15 draft pick next year for trading up purposes) for Quinn next year by waiting, but is he the type an organization would wait for in comparison to the quys that are coming out?

Can you or should you build in the other areas of need and forgo a young QB one more year?

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Boomer, question......based on QB's coming out and those staying for another year....if you are in the Miami Front Office, what do you do?

Or do you continue building in other areas of the team one more year, and pass on them and continue to use other veteran FA (Kitna, etc) or current roster NFL QBs (including Sage, Lemon) and wait another year to draft a young gun (if we somehow have a high enough draft pick and we trade up, etc).

You know I like Quinn and just think he is a type that has the pedigy, build, toughness and solid coaching (a Montana/Marino type where the hype isnt making him all-world, but he turns out to be a perfect match and leader for years). Not to mention the Notre Dame link and all!

I just dont think we trade up this year to get that type of QB, and not sure if the mid-round QB's offer enough potential to go after them over another area of need. It seems next year (doesnt it always) may be deeper and better at the QB spot.

Not saying Miami can get or will trade up (expect we wont have a top 15 draft pick next year for trading up purposes) for Quinn next year by waiting, but is he the type an organization would wait for in comparison to the quys that are coming out?

Can you or should you build in the other areas of need and forgo a young QB one more year?

Not that I will answer FOR Boomer, but I would imagine what QB we take and where will depend on where everyone grades out. It's easy to ask what you would do at this point as far as the QB, but not so easy to answer. We still don't know, for instance, where Jay Cutler will grade out once the Senior Bowl and Combine are done. There is also a bit an enigma surrounding Vince Young. While it would be doubtful that he'd show up to the Senior Bowl, how he looks throwing side by side with other more traditional QBs at the combine could impact his overall grade significantly because when scouts look at a Brady Quinn or Matt Leinart, they may be about 70% sure of what they see because it's in a form they generally recognize, but when they watch a Vince Young play they are probably only about 50% sure of what they see because it's not in a form they can recognize easily (which makes pure grading on NFL suitability more difficult). With the bigger question marks comes larger variability based on what some guys see vs other guys, and larger variability in the impact of the Combine and private workouts.

So, all in all it would be difficult for any of us to say that the Dolphins should go with a QB in round 1 right now, because for all we know the Dolphins could end up with the #22 pick in the draft while Vince Young and Jay Cutler both solidify their spots as top 15 selections.

As for drafting a QB period, yeah I would say that I am about 99% certain that we WILL draft one quarterback, just not sure where. If Boomer is anything like me, we hate just pure guesswork, and right now the information exchange is in such a premature stage that speculating the the Dolphins should or will take so and so in the such and such round would be nothing more than guesswork.

My only value-added tip would be to look out for subtle signs that we're out there scouting some lesser known names and prospects under-the-radar. I could foresee a situation where you see Randy Mueller himself traveling for like, Darrell Hackney's workout. Watch out in case Jason Garrett pulls like a Hudson Houck and goes to some small school to spend three days with a lesser known prospect. To my knowledge, we have about three 7th round picks. I'm not sure who among the most-talked-about QBs may fall to the 7th round, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Dolphins spending a significant amount of time figuring out the answer to that question too. The coaches have a preference when it comes to QBs for GROOMING them, not necessarily buying them. A first round pick QB is sort of like buying a QB, same as it would be for buying a FA.

ckparrothead said:
Not that I will answer FOR Boomer, but I would imagine what QB we take and where will depend on where everyone grades out. It's easy to ask what you would do at this point as far as the QB, but not so easy to answer. We still don't know, for instance, where Jay Cutler will grade out once the Senior Bowl and Combine are done. There is also a bit an enigma surrounding Vince Young. While it would be doubtful that he'd show up to the Senior Bowl, how he looks throwing side by side with other more traditional QBs at the combine could impact his overall grade significantly because when scouts look at a Brady Quinn or Matt Leinart, they may be about 70% sure of what they see because it's in a form they generally recognize, but when they watch a Vince Young play they are probably only about 50% sure of what they see because it's not in a form they can recognize easily (which makes pure grading on NFL suitability more difficult). With the bigger question marks comes larger variability based on what some guys see vs other guys, and larger variability in the impact of the Combine and private workouts.

So, all in all it would be difficult for any of us to say that the Dolphins should go with a QB in round 1 right now, because for all we know the Dolphins could end up with the #22 pick in the draft while Vince Young and Jay Cutler both solidify their spots as top 15 selections.

As for drafting a QB period, yeah I would say that I am about 99% certain that we WILL draft one quarterback, just not sure where. If Boomer is anything like me, we hate just pure guesswork, and right now the information exchange is in such a premature stage that speculating the the Dolphins should or will take so and so in the such and such round would be nothing more than guesswork.

My only value-added tip would be to look out for subtle signs that we're out there scouting some lesser known names and prospects under-the-radar. I could foresee a situation where you see Randy Mueller himself traveling for like, Darrell Hackney's workout. Watch out in case Jason Garrett pulls like a Hudson Houck and goes to some small school to spend three days with a lesser known prospect. To my knowledge, we have about three 7th round picks. I'm not sure who among the most-talked-about QBs may fall to the 7th round, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Dolphins spending a significant amount of time figuring out the answer to that question too. The coaches have a preference when it comes to QBs for GROOMING them, not necessarily buying them. A first round pick QB is sort of like buying a QB, same as it would be for buying a FA.

Thanks for the reply and in-depth response. I certianly know its quess work and very early and not the easiest of questions.

You answered my main one about whether the current Miami brass would pass up this year and go the FA route, and pass on any QB this year and wait, or use a later round pick and take a shot at some QB. I quess I just dont see this crop of QB's causing us to use a rd 1, 2, 3 pick...maybe we use a 4th - 7th this year. I also dont see us trading up and giving away picks to go after a hype QB in early rounds.

If we use the 99% plan I see it being a QB with little to no hype around him, it will be a lesser known guy.

Maybe Boomer will answer and go a different route with his view.

thanks ck as always.

Boomer Please Help!!!!

With all these QB arguments and answer the following questions:

Who are the top 5 QB's in this draft and what do you like and dislike about them?

Who of those 5 are the FINS high on and most likely to draft?

What are the Fins priorities and how (what round or FA) will they look to solve them?

THANKS...YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quinn said last night on ESPN-News he is definetly staying..

He will lead the mighty ND to a National Championship----and a Heisman Trophy for himself.

Boom, what do you think about this player agreement rumor going on? Do you see these guys like Quinn, Jacobs, even Antonio Cromartie who are probably staying but then decide to leave because of the new agreement?

PS- Speaking of Cromartie do you think he may come out anyways even though he was hurt this season due to the lack of great corners in this draft. He could pull a Willis Mcgahee and have a nice combine and someone would take a shot at him in the first.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Thanks for the reply and in-depth response. I certianly know its quess work and very early and not the easiest of questions.

You answered my main one about whether the current Miami brass would pass up this year and go the FA route, and pass on any QB this year and wait, or use a later round pick and take a shot at some QB. I quess I just dont see this crop of QB's causing us to use a rd 1, 2, 3 pick...maybe we use a 4th - 7th this year. I also dont see us trading up and giving away picks to go after a hype QB in early rounds.

If we use the 99% plan I see it being a QB with little to no hype around him, it will be a lesser known guy.

Maybe Boomer will answer and go a different route with his view.

thanks ck as always.

Well, I guess what I would like to emphasize is that the choice is not necessarily ours to make. It's kind of like asking if the Dolphins will take Matt Leinart in the draft. I don't know, but the choice isn't really ours to make...because we're likely to be picking too late to get Leinart.

I guess a more specific answer to your question would be under the following conditions:

1. Jay Cutler plays lights out at the Senior Bowl, then runs like a 4.65 at the Combine.

2. Vince Young enters the draft and looks good at the Combine throwing side by side with more orthodox QBs.

3. We have the #15 pick in the draft.

4. The following players are available at #15: Jay Cutler, Vince Young, Eric Winston, Marcus McNeil, Rodrique Wright, Demeco Ryans, Santonio Holmes, LaRon Landry, Darnall Bing, Max Jean-Gilles, Ashton Yobouty (sp?), and Claude Wroten...

My Result: I would take Jay Cutler.

Team Result: They would have to be tempted by Cutler or Young as well, though Demeco Ryans would look good to them as well.

ckparrothead said:
Well, I guess what I would like to emphasize is that the choice is not necessarily ours to make. It's kind of like asking if the Dolphins will take Matt Leinart in the draft. I don't know, but the choice isn't really ours to make...because we're likely to be picking too late to get Leinart.

I guess a more specific answer to your question would be under the following conditions:

1. Jay Cutler plays lights out at the Senior Bowl, then runs like a 4.65 at the Combine.

2. Vince Young enters the draft and looks good at the Combine throwing side by side with more orthodox QBs.

3. We have the #15 pick in the draft.

4. The following players are available at #15: Jay Cutler, Vince Young, Eric Winston, Marcus McNeil, Rodrique Wright, Demeco Ryans, Santonio Holmes, LaRon Landry, Darnall Bing, Max Jean-Gilles, Ashton Yobouty (sp?), and Claude Wroten...

My Result: I would take Jay Cutler.

Team Result: They would have to be tempted by Cutler or Young as well, though Demeco Ryans would look good to them as well.

Ok, cool....thats what I am getting at. I realize its not any of our decisions. I realize I am asking anyone who may have a better feel on the front office to quess.

So you take Cutler becuase he is a QB and fills perhaps the biggest need. I accept that. I am sure others choose Young, but thats not the point. The point is a QB is taken in 1st round.

But you mention the Front Office while tempted at QB, might take a non-QB (LB from Alabama). So thats where my question is going. If you played this "Team Results" all the way out, at what point do you think they take a QB this year, or do they pass on it completely and go FA, or current roster QB and see where the chips fall next draft for a QB that decided to stay? Next years QB pool seems to be more talented and deeper.

Do they keep having a QB available, but pass, because in their mind a better player is available and they wait till next year to draft a QB based on underclassmen that stay behind?

Thanks abunch....I know until all the underclassmen declare or stay its totally quess work and muddy....but its for me to have you, and Boomer, and anyone else who seem to be better equiped to speculate and read your written views and see if they stack up to what I am thinking.

glh205 said:
Any news on Drew Stanton, QB Mich State, on if he is coming out? Boomer, what are your thoughts on him?

He's meant to be staying in.

Dolphins_SR66 said:

Well I certainly don't reach for a player. We have enough holes elsewhere to do that. If I don't like a QB, then I look to adda Ngata, a Youboty or a Huff, a Greenaway or a Hawk, a Jean-Gilles, etc.

Boomer said:
Well I certainly don't reach for a player. We have enough holes elsewhere to do that. If I don't like a QB, then I look to adda Ngata, a Youboty or a Huff, a Greenaway or a Hawk, a Jean-Gilles, etc.

Ok, so from your perspective its not out of the realm of possibility that we dont draft a QB in any round this year?

I know youre speaking of 1st round talent above...but asking you to extend beyond the 1st round based on QB's you say are staying put.

thanks again...

Back
Top Bottom