Likely Early Entries | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Likely Early Entries

Finfanforever said:
With all these QB arguments and answer the following questions:

Who are the top 5 QB's in this draft and what do you like and dislike about them?

Who of those 5 are the FINS high on and most likely to draft?

What are the Fins priorities and how (what round or FA) will they look to solve them?

THANKS...YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Matt Leinart.
2. Jay Cutler
3. Brodie Croye.
4. Charlie Whitehurst
5. Darrell Hackney

The list goes downhill after the top 2 and most people would rate the rest in differing slots. I have always liked Croyle, I think Whitehurst is too good to be this mediocre and Hackney has a tonne of talent.

They - Miami - apparently like Leinart and Cutler. And Brady Quinn, but I'm working on who is actually declared.

Priorities are wide reciever, quarterback, left tackle, guard, defensive tackle, defensive end, linebacker, cornerback and safety.

NickV13 said:
Quinn said last night on ESPN-News he is definetly staying..

He will lead the mighty ND to a National Championship----and a Heisman Trophy for himself.

It's absolutely the right decision.

Boomer said:
1. Matt Leinart.
2. Jay Cutler
3. Brodie Croye.
4. Charlie Whitehurst
5. Darrell Hackney

The list goes downhill after the top 2 and most people would rate the rest in differing slots. I have always liked Croyle, I think Whitehurst is too good to be this mediocre and Hackney has a tonne of talent.

They - Miami - apparently like Leinart and Cutler. And Brady Quinn, but I'm working on who is actually declared.

Priorities are wide reciever, quarterback, left tackle, guard, defensive tackle, defensive end, linebacker, cornerback and safety.

You think we need a wr more than a qb? Could you elaborate on that a little?

Edit-Or were they not in order of importance?

PhinsRDbest said:
Boom, what do you think about this player agreement rumor going on? Do you see these guys like Quinn, Jacobs, even Antonio Cromartie who are probably staying but then decide to leave because of the new agreement?

PS- Speaking of Cromartie do you think he may come out anyways even though he was hurt this season due to the lack of great corners in this draft. He could pull a Willis Mcgahee and have a nice combine and someone would take a shot at him in the first.

Going with Cromartie first, no he won't come out at all. He doesn't have the body of work that McGahee had and Willis finished a season. Antonio knackered his knee in the spring.

I think Jacobs might, but Quinn will stay.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Ok, so from your perspective its not out of the realm of possibility that we dont draft a QB in any round this year?

I know youre speaking of 1st round talent above...but asking you to extend beyond the 1st round based on QB's you say are staying put.

thanks again...

I think if they draft a QB it'll be on day 1 if they do. They have a project already in Lemon. Why bring 2 projects in and waste one of just 5 picks on an area of need elsewhere.

dolphan117 said:
You think we need a wr more than a qb? Could you elaborate on that a little?

Edit-Or were they not in order of importance?

Yep - in no specific order.

Essentially QB is the biggest area of need, but not at the risk of ****ing the rest of the team up by reaching for a player especially when there is a tonne of talent at other positions prime for the plucking.

Boomer said:
Essentially QB is the biggest area of need, but not at the risk of ****ing the rest of the team up by reaching for a player especially when there is a tonne of talent at other positions prime for the plucking.

Thanks...cool. While I am excited to watch the last 4 regular season games and hope for the best for the playoff possibility.....I really look forward to this offseason, and QB or Not, all the other improvements that will take shape and see Saban's masterplan take root.

Thanks again...

So you take Cutler becuase he is a QB and fills perhaps the biggest need. I accept that. I am sure others choose Young, but thats not the point. The point is a QB is taken in 1st round.

No, I take Cutler because among the players left on the board that I discussed, the only ones that tempt me away from Cutler are Demeco Ryans and maybe Rod Wright (though there's questions about whether or not he fits our D).

This isn't about taking a QB in Round 1 or not taking a QB in Round 1. You should stop making it about that. It's about taking the best player that fits in with the team and as Saban puts it, has the most long term value to the organization. If Cutler and Young aren't there when we pick, we're not going to reach and pick up one of the other guys like Pinegar, Hackney, etc just because we want to take a QB in Round 1.

ckparrothead said:
No, I take Cutler because among the players left on the board that I discussed, the only ones that tempt me away from Cutler are Demeco Ryans and maybe Rod Wright (though there's questions about whether or not he fits our D).

This isn't about taking a QB in Round 1 or not taking a QB in Round 1. You should stop making it about that. It's about taking the best player that fits in with the team and as Saban puts it, has the most long term value to the organization. If Cutler and Young aren't there when we pick, we're not going to reach and pick up one of the other guys like Pinegar, Hackney, etc just because we want to take a QB in Round 1.

Ck, wasnt trying to put words in your mouth, and definately am not taking the position of making this about a QB in round one or not. My posts are exactly the opposite.

I am a best player available that fits type person, etc. I simply see other areas of need, and could see the front office passing on a QB completly this draft. My view seems to be counter to others that say we need a QB so bad, we have to draft a QB this year in some round.

But, as I see it, until the top junior QB's declare for this draft, I think next years QB pool is richer and deeper.

Thats all....appreciate your feedback.

Wow Boom, Croyle and Whitehurst strike me as high on that list of top 5 you have. To me, Whitehurst strikes me as a heartbreaker. Croyle could be a heart breaker too. He looks like a pro, but gets injured a lot. Someone is going to be happy with him and subsequently very unhappy with him...I think. Were you not including Young on that list because you think he'll stay in school? Or do you really rate him below Croyle, Whitehurst, and Hackney?

I had Drew Olson starting to climb up my own boards but then he laid a stinker on the national stage against USC...and that pretty much is a career habit that you want to stay away from at this point IMO...because that is definitely his MO, lay the stinker just when it matters most. Pinegar really turned me off in that La Tech game. It was like in the span of a day or two, two of my top guys just took a nose dive. I guess that leaves Hackney, Croyle...maybe Shockley, his leadership and effect on the team really impress me, and as Keith has pointed out before he's shown some real signs of not being the run-first kind of guy that he might initially seem like.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Ck, wasnt trying to put words in your mouth, and definately am not taking the position of making this about a QB in round one or not. My posts are exactly the opposite.

I am a best player available that fits type person, etc. I simply see other areas of need, and could see the front office passing on a QB completly this draft. My view seems to be counter to others that say we need a QB so bad, we have to draft a QB this year in some round.

But, as I see it, until the top junior QB's declare for this draft, I think next years QB pool is richer and deeper.

Thats all....appreciate your feedback.

Well it just seems like every time one of us answers you're like "Ok so then we do take a QB in round 1" and then we clarify and its like "Ok so we pass on QBs in round 1 because we have other needs" etc...and I'm trying to tell ya man, if the right QB is there and the right other players are not, we'll take the QB, if the right QB isn't there we won't, and if the right QB is there but there's also an unbelievably talented other player there that probably shouldnt have fallen, we'll take him and not the QB.

As far as targeting whether or not we get one QB, I think it is safe to say that the staff will be targeting to come out of this draft with one QB, they just won't know which one or where they take him until the picks start coming in. Nobody can develop a fail safe specific draft strategy before the picks start coming in. All you can do is grade and rank, then when your pick is in, pick according to your grades and ranks.

Just looking at who the Dolphins have brought in via trade (Cleo Lemon) and who they have brought in for workouts (Casey Printers), it definitely looks like mobility is going to be an aspect the Dolphins look for in their quarterback. Now, I don't think mobility will ever outrank passing ability on their list, but it seems like their ideal quarterback may be one that brings the mobility aspect to the field. Young brings that, but I don't think he brings the type of passing ability the team needs.

Probably the best package of passing skills and mobility is Jay Cutler. I can see Miami, in a weak draft for quarterbacks, taking a corner and seeing what they can do with a developmental project in the mid rounds at the quarterback position. If they can find a Charlie Frye type, I think they would take him in the third to fourth round area.

ckparrothead said:
Well it just seems like every time one of us answers you're like "Ok so then we do take a QB in round 1" and then we clarify and its like "Ok so we pass on QBs in round 1 because we have other needs" etc...and I'm trying to tell ya man, if the right QB is there and the right other players are not, we'll take the QB, if the right QB isn't there we won't, and if the right QB is there but there's also an unbelievably talented other player there that probably shouldnt have fallen, we'll take him and not the QB.

As far as targeting whether or not we get one QB, I think it is safe to say that the staff will be targeting to come out of this draft with one QB, they just won't know which one or where they take him until the picks start coming in. Nobody can develop a fail safe specific draft strategy before the picks start coming in. All you can do is grade and rank, then when your pick is in, pick according to your grades and ranks.

Ck, you and boomer are the only two to answer my initial question. It was not about taking a QB in round 1, it was whether you thought the front office would pass on a QB completely based on where we were picking and what talent at the QB spot could be there each round.

More to the point, I think with the underclassmen that Boomer feels are staying put waters-down the QB position this coming draft. I personally dont see the remaining "good" QB's available falling to us, and dont think we give picks away to trade up. Therefore it is within the realm of possibility that this front office doesnt select a QB, just like last year, and simply banks on next years QB draft being richer.

Sorry if you misunderstood my first question or each answer. I appreciate your responses and no issues from my end.

Back
Top Bottom