Linehan likes Feeley | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Linehan likes Feeley

inFINSible said:
Well, that's what some guys were saying on Sirius NFL Blitz this afternoon.

I never heard who it was but they were in the studio and they were talking about the "soap opera" going on in the Miami QB "competition". They said the Frerotte was brought in to be the veteran back-up and Linehan was happy to have him and was hoping he might win the starting job. Saban even said that Frerotte may have an advantage due to his familiarity with the system but, and I quote" After the recent mini camps, the word out of Miami is that Linehan is very happy with what he has found in Feeley and thinks he has the talent to win the starting job"....They said that they expected Frerotte to be much further ahead of Feeley than what he was at the camps. Supposedly the "competition" has swung to Feeley's favor.

I didn't start this thread to argue who is better or who deserves to start....I'm just telling you what I heard....Sorry, I don't know who was saying this but, what I reported is honest and accurate....take it for what it's worth.

If anybody else heard this, I'd appreciate the support. :)

You seem to be the trustworthy sort, and I hope this is indeed true. I am a Feeley supporter and would be disappointed if Frerotte won the job. This guy last year went through the poisonous regime of Wanny and Co., had no running game, and played behind arguably the worst line in football. He needs a coach who believes in him, hopefully he has it now.

feelthepain said:
Getting people to place the blame on what we saw last year you would think would be obvious, but some people aren't really diehard fin fans they just form an opinion based on what they here and read.

Sure AJ's numbers where not great last year but what player on the O had good numbers? It's easy to blame the QB if your a bias jill fan or an uneducated dolphin fan. But if you step back and look at the big picture and all the things that went wrong that had absolutley nothing to do with AJ, then you will see he was a victum of circumstance not the source of the problem. He got beat up more then anybody last year but he stayed tough and fought through the season and all some fans want to do is bust on him. How can anyone with a ounce of reason not give the guy a chance?? CC hasn't been outstanding since he's been here but fans love him. CC could have played harder and maybe made a probowl or two but it's very frustrating playing in such an inept O, players tend to quit trying if they know their hard work will be in vein. But AJ didn't quit, not even when he knew he was gonna take a beating.

I agree with you to a point, but to say AJ had "absolutely nothing" to do with all the things that went wrong just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I don't understand how you can make a statement like that then call others uneducated fans. Was AJ the only problem? Certainly not, but to absolve him of all blame...that's a bit of a stretch at best. He was far from great or even good. This year is his chance to turn it around.

Dudeman said:
honestly, I truly believe that they're making something out of nothing. In a slow news month, they're speculating, just as they do for every team. There are no articles from the SF media (the ones who actually cover the Dolphins, as opposed to being forced to report on the entire league) that says that the competition has swung in Feeley's favor. Its fun to speculate, but to say that based on reports that Frerotte wasn't much further ahead (which ones?....because many fan reports and Marvez's thoughts were different) that the comp is now in AJs favor is reaching
I'm not doubting that it was said in the Blitz report, but its no different hearing anything on that than it is on Fox Radio/Sporting news radio.

I understand that Feeley homers are trying to use any useful info they can to back up their stance as to why he'll start, but the simple fact remains is that everything will be settled in training camp for every position.
You're right, it's only speculation but, it's still good to hear.

inFINSible said:
You're right, it's only speculation but, it's still good to hear.

It's nice to hear something positive from the media for once. Who knows, maybe he did look really impressive at mini-camp.

Dudeman said:
honestly, I truly believe that they're making something out of nothing. In a slow news month, they're speculating, just as they do for every team. There are no articles from the SF media (the ones who actually cover the Dolphins, as opposed to being forced to report on the entire league) that says that the competition has swung in Feeley's favor. Its fun to speculate, but to say that based on reports that Frerotte wasn't much further ahead (which ones?....because many fan reports and Marvez's thoughts were different) that the comp is now in AJs favor is reaching
I'm not doubting that it was said in the Blitz report, but its no different hearing anything on that than it is on Fox Radio/Sporting news radio.

I understand that Feeley homers are trying to use any useful info they can to back up their stance as to why he'll start, but the simple fact remains is that everything will be settled in training camp for every position.

There is a homer around here that for sure :rolleyes:

Anyways, Linehan said last week he liked Feeley. That Feeley does some great things with the ball. Then a min camp report said AJ made some perfect throws, but then had a few bad ones. None of the reports said Gus nailed everything he threw all three days. Wow, by my count, Gus would have to nail everything to be as far ahead of AJ as everyone thought he would be. Since Gus wasn't perfect, and AJ showed signs of being such, it's VERY easy to believe the Linehan said this.

Don't hate, just don't talk.

BlitPhinFan said:
It was talked about in this thread. It came from a transcript I believe. But the part that I never saw before was:

If it's true, then there are going to be some upset campers on this board. ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, it has already begun. :lol:
Thanks Blit.....That's a good quote, it shows almost exactly where this speculation is coming from...
"In particular, Linehan said he has been impressed with Feeley's offseason work.

``He has really improved, and he has really embraced the system, which is the two things we really wanted him to do in the offseason program. He's certainly got some exceptional talents as far as throwing the ball. He's still young as a quarterback, so he's learning. He has done everything and more that we have asked.''

feelthepain said:
Getting people to place the blame on what we saw last year you would think would be obvious, but some people aren't really diehard fin fans they just form an opinion based on what they here and read.

Sure AJ's numbers where not great last year but what player on the O had good numbers? It's easy to blame the QB if your a bias jill fan or an uneducated dolphin fan. But if you step back and look at the big picture and all the things that went wrong that had absolutley nothing to do with AJ, then you will see he was a victum of circumstance not the source of the problem. He got beat up more then anybody last year but he stayed tough and fought through the season and all some fans want to do is bust on him. How can anyone with a ounce of reason not give the guy a chance?? CC hasn't been outstanding since he's been here but fans love him. CC could have played harder and maybe made a probowl or two but it's very frustrating playing in such an inept O, players tend to quit trying if they know their hard work will be in vein. But AJ didn't quit, not even when he knew he was gonna take a beating.

I've been a Dolphins fan my entire life. And I am both educated in football and in general. Noone knows MORE about Miami than I do. Even if someone is uneducated, stupid, or whatever doesn't have anything to do with their opinion about a certain player. YOU like AJ Feeley and YOU THINK he has potential. Some people think he does not. I happen to think he would/ will/ has made bad decisions even when he had PLENTY of time. Most of the Feeley supporters say our O line improved last year and then turn around, hypocritically blame the line for Feeley's troubles. Then they'll say he threw less INTs in the last 3 games but will dismiss the fact that 2 of those 3 games were against the only two teams in the league that were worse than us. They also fail to recongize that Feeley's yards per completion and yards per attempt were ridiculously low which would play into the reasons why is INT level dropped somewhat. But even in those games, he got away with several bone headed decisions.
It's funny that if a fan doesn't think Feeley is the guy then he must automatically be uneducated. But anyone who knows anything about football, in depth, and not just with rose colored glasses for your pick at QB, it would be easy to see that Feeley simply isn't that good. This team has been wanting an upgrade over Fiedler since Fiedler got here. Well, I'm afraid we got someone who is his equal. What he has in advantages over Fiedler in arm strength, he loses in his immobility and inability to read a defense. If you could put Fiedlers smarts and mobility into Feeley's arm, then we'd have a little better than average QB. Unfortunately, what Feeley is is a backup that everyone wants in there for two reasons: He isn't Fiedler and he threw one decent pass against New England.
But what do we guys know. If we don't think Feeley has it, we must be uneducated.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
It's nice to hear something positive from the media for once. Who knows, maybe he did look really impressive at mini-camp.
Well, the fact of the matter is that no one really knows what they were working on or why passes hit the ground at mini camp. The variables are almost immeasurable when you think about the fact that EVERY player is learning a new offense, just being where you're supposed to be and doing what you're supposed to be doing is on everyone's mind, not just playing the game. I guess they saw things in Feeley that they liked and were impressed with. I mean, if you really want to take an optimistic view of things maybe Feeley was making good decsions on where to go with the ball but didn't have the timing of the new routes synched with his receivers. :)

inFINSible said:
Thanks Blit.....That's a good quote, it shows almost exactly where this speculation is coming from...

My pleasure. :up: I hope he continues to improve. I, like many others, love a good underdog story. I have been hoping he will pan out as well. He seems to have a good bit of the physical abilities(more so than Fiedler), I just hope he can continue to improve on the mental aspects.

I too give him credit for hanging in there with little to no time and getting up again and again. I also supported the fact that bad coaching was most of the cause. Heck even Fielder, who many said he could lead the team, did no better last year in that offense.

Time will tell... Here's to hoping he proves the nay sayers wrong. GO FINS!

inFINSible said:
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you could join me in the good feelings that I got when I heard it.

More power to him. If Feeley is that good :shakeno: then let him have the job. But if I recall correctly, nothing was said that would remotely make anyone believe that Feeley was closing the gap on Gus significantly. And as far as I know assistant coaches aren't allowed to give interviews without Sabans permission and at appointed times.

inFINSible said:
Thanks.
It was right around 4:00pm, maybe quarter after, that I heard it. Do you know who may have been on in that time slot?

Sorry Infins, I have no idea who.

phinman1 said:
You seem to be the trustworthy sort, and I hope this is indeed true. I am a Feeley supporter and would be disappointed if Frerotte won the job. This guy last year went through the poisonous regime of Wanny and Co., had no running game, and played behind arguably the worst line in football. He needs a coach who believes in him, hopefully he has it now.
100% AGREED WELL SAID :D

inFINSible said:
I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you could join me in the good feelings that I got when I heard it.

THANK YOU for the good news Infin ,your opinion is always well respected and news very credible

that is great news Linehan likes what he sees and feels he is capable of winning the job. that puts us one step closer to where we need to be.

FinsDontGiveIn said:
Don't you think Saban has a smokescreen or two going? He did during the draft. Do you think some of these camp posts...Ronnie Brown is being out played by Lamar Gordon.....Feeley looks terrible and Frerotte looks great? Maybe I'm trippin', but if not, way to go coach.....I like a coach that likes you to expect the unexpected. Why do you think the first few mini camps were closed to the media? Hmmmmm;)

Did you have C&C Music Factory's "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm?" playin' in the background at the time of this? :rofl3:

I highly doubt any of that could be true.

I think they call this motivating the players in competition. What else is he going to say?

Back
Top Bottom