Locker Room Post Indy | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Locker Room Post Indy

2 wins is all it takes to feel good about a coaching staff that still has so much to prove.

When the team starts losing again, maybe the fan base will come back down to Earth.

I personally won’t loose faith, I have friends who root for some of the teams we have played and the most common statement is that coach of yours must be good if your team fights that hard and plays the whole game.

Can’t measure Flo on wins, but rather on payer improvement. Position group growth, discipline and nonsense or lack there of. Outside of Minkah has there been a single grumble out of the locker room? That staff has complete control of the room.

While the idea of tanking is ridiculous in any pro sports no matter how you try and frame it but and it’s a big BUT teams can give up, The Bengals have given up which is sad as an organization and for a fan base. The redskins are not far behind and wouldn’t surprise me to see the Jets fold by week 13. The only thing that stops that is the staff which is what I believe we are seeing.

The FO did the right thing by completely tearing the team down and starting over - putting the team in position for the top pick. I felt pretty confident that Miami would get it, and they still could, but this highlights the importance of coaching. Cincinnati, Washington, and the NJ teams all have much, much better talent than Miami. Indianapolis should be able to beat Miami without having to throw the ball. Miami gets better every week. Coach Flores deserves a mountain of credit for the job he's done to date. Knowing what he was working with, you couldn't have scripted it better.

On one hand, Coach Flores still has to prove that he can take the next steps as the team builds talent; on the other, I'm pretty sure that he can find a way to win games with paperclips and rubberbands.

Last edited:
Of coarse they have a lot to prove and more more losses are certain to come, but why can’t you just enjoy the two wins. Take a minute suppress your whiney *** tendency, acknowledge you don’t know how this ride will turn out and appreciate the progress the team has made from the start of the season. And give Brian a little credit.

Because both wins are absolutely meaningless and hinder Miami's ability to get a top QB prospect. I don't want to settle for another Tannehill.

When he says “ain’t gonna be any victory Monday, we’ll be in there tomorrow” the team starts laughing and almost cheering.

I don’t want to read too much into that because there may be more to that video that I didn’t see but what the heck kind of culture is Coach creating in Miami?!?!? (sic)

If this team is looking forward to work instead of groaning about it then we sure do have the right guy.

Because both wins are absolutely meaningless and hinder Miami's ability to get a top QB prospect. I don't want to settle for another Tannehill.
I see. Someone told you the fins are doom if they don’t get the top pick and you believed them. Let me tell you a few things that are true, Tannehill is not in the 2020 draft, Tua may not be the greatest NFL Qb to ever play the game, there are 21 other starting positions on the field. It’s a team sport, so put your crystal ball away. It sucks anyway.

2 wins is all it takes to feel good about a coaching staff that still has so much to prove.

When the team starts losing again, maybe the fan base will come back down to Earth.
It's not only about the wins, though winning games with the crap hand Flores was dealt shouldn't be dismissed.

It's about discipline, attitude, consistent improvement, growing as units/team/staff.

If you can't see the positives, and how this staff is different that the last several, I don't know what to tell you.

Are they gaurenteed to succeed? Hell no, but I'm really liking what i see thus far, as opposed to Gase, who disappointed me from the moment he took the podium at his introductory PC.

That's a good point, but I think that delegation into direct input comes natural and Gase doesn't seem to have it. I think Ego is a big thing in sports and life and in a room of 53 alphas coaches try to buck up rather than lead. Flo is leaning in the direction of leading rather than trying to prove his way or his ideas work. Good to have the humility and sense of self.
I still dont know how Gase get head coach job..

They were pretty well balanced, for the most part.

McNab had issues winning the "big game".

The last couple seasons, they tried to buy their way over the top with free agents, like cancer man, T. Owens.

It completely destroyed the team chemistry.
Nah, McNabb was the reason they didn't win the SB. The only time that team made it to the SB was when they TO was the receiver, the dysfunction started after the SB when T.O wanted to be paid. The fact that T.O came off injury and signed a waiver alleviating the Eagles of injury compensation if he was hurt, showed his desire to win and commitment to that team. T.O had over 120 yards and lead the team in receiving in that game, and if I did that for a team then I would be looking for a payday as well. McNabb chocked under the pressure of the moment (he vomited) which is why they lost in my opinion, but after that things went really bad as it pertains to team chemistry (divided locker).

If this team had Atlanta's talent then yes but as it stands this is supposed to be the worst team ever yet they have the same record as the Falcons and a better record than the Skins and Jets.

Nah, McNabb was the reason they didn't win the SB. The only time that team made it to the SB was when they TO was the receiver, the dysfunction started after the SB when T.O wanted to be paid. The fact that T.O came off injury and signed a waiver alleviating the Eagles of injury compensation if he was hurt, showed his desire to win and commitment to that team. T.O had over 120 yards and lead the team in receiving in that game, and if I did that for a team then I would be looking for a payday as well. McNabb chocked under the pressure of the moment (he vomited) which is why they lost in my opinion, but after that things went really bad as it pertains to team chemistry (divided locker).
I don't think anyone ever questioned his talent, or desire.

And yes, I already pointed out McNab's failures when the spotlight came on.

The FO did the right thing by completely tearing the team down and starting over - putting the team in position for the top pick. I felt pretty confident that Miami would get it, and they still could, but this highlights the importance of coaching. Cincinnati, Washington, and the NJ teams all have much, much better talent than Miami. Indianapolis should be able to beat Miami without having to throw the ball. Miami gets better every week. Coach Flores deserves a mountain of credit for the job he's done to date. Knowing what he was working with, you couldn't have scripted it better.

On one hand, Coach Flores still has to prove that he can take the next steps as the team builds talent; on the other, I'm pretty sure that he can find a way to win games with paperclips and rubberbands.
My concern over draft position is lessening as I'm seeing a coaching staff that can actually coach up the talent provided, which to me is just as valuable as having the sure fire can't miss pick.

My concern over draft position is lessening as I'm seeing a coaching staff that can actually coach up the talent provided, which to me is just as valuable as having the sure fire can't miss pick.
Particularly when you consider there is no such thing as a sure fire can't miss pick.

So lets say the cards fall right and we get #1 and take the sure fire top QB prospect, and he bombs!!!! What will your statement be then, oh well at least we tried?

You never know how guys will develop, but i can tell you the decision is far more informed and guided if you have a good/great (not ready to say great but leaning that way) coaching staff and culture established. Especially if that allows for the guy to come in and grow and not be expected to save the world right away.

Look at the young guys who have had success...

Mahomes - great FO, all time great HC, sat for a year under a real hard working PRO then got handed the best set of offensive skill players and a great play caller. Yeah sounds like he would have been this good out of the gate (that statement is sarcasm btw) he was set up for success.

Jackson - Great coach Great FO (OH WOW A THEME) established culture, learned behind an established pro and was put into an offense that was catered to his skill set. SET UP FOR SUCCESS

Waston - Good HC who had proven his worth, sat behind a guy for a few games took over but wasn't asked to win game right away. That defense was really good and they have always tried to run the ball consistently it wasnt put on his shoulders

Wilson - Great HC Great FO, and best defense since the early 2000's Ravens plus beast mode in the backfield. All he had to do the first 3 years was not be stupid and they would win. But he grew and pushed the staff to give him more of a role in the games

Rogers - Good coach good FO sat for years

Jimmy G - Great coach Great FO, sat behind a Brady for YEARS. actually still isnt asked to win but maybe 2 or 3 times a year

Rivers - At the time great coach great FO and sat behind Brees for years

and the list goes on....

Lets look at guys who seem to be asked to win right away and be THE GUY

Darnold (#3 pick and was considered the top QB prospect) - garbage coach and FO no skill players and is asked to save the day for an organization who thinks they are playoff bound every year (No Culture other than being bad)

Mayfield (#1 pick BABY) - coach over his head and garbage FO who traded away their best o linemen to get more defense how is that working out? asked to be the man and its not going well (No Culture other than being bad)

Murray - Jury is out, think the coach is super talented and building something but they have no expectations and he isnt being asked to win so while not ideal he is given time to grow in an odd way

Allen - HC is okay FO is okay i think their GM is a talented guy not a great culture and with the Jets being the Jets and Miami rebuilding they made the choice to go for it and make the playoffs. Dont see a lot of growth and Allen is so up and down may have been hurt by not being given the chance to get his feet under him properly

Are you seeing a theme?!?!? Having the number one pick doesn't mean SQUAT if you don't have other pieces in place. No QB will walk in and save this franchise, it is a key piece for sure but nobody walking out of the tunnel this Saturday is doing that without the coaching staff and front office building a culture and brand for the way they operate.

Get over this whole drafting number one thing and look at the whole picture...

Fired Tannebaum and brought in Reggie McKenzie and Marvin Allen to assist the scouting and player personnel departments

Hired Brian Flores who is already complied a staff who has shown ability to find and develop players (I am excited to see AVG if he gets cleared with what this staff can do)

Got rid of the high paid under performing/outspoken/didnt want to be here players

Sounds like Miami is trying to build a strong culture where talent isnt the thing that ranks you inside the organization.

I would rather have a great coaching staff, a consistent FO and the number 5 pick than a FO who nobody believes in a coaching staff that went 0-16 and didnt develop players and the #1 pick all day every day

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom