Lots of Dolphins News | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lots of Dolphins News

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Coach Sparano Speaks

Sparano confirmed my report in today's Miami Herald that Chad Henne will be getting a lot of playing time in the coming preseason and, is in fact, the future of the franchise at QB. "We need to get him ready. He'll play a lot and we'd like to see him a lot in the preseason," Sparano said. You might ask why all the love for Henne an the eagerness to get him ready? Here's the most telling quote that should make you drool at the possibilities of a Miami passing game with Henne at the helm: "You see the ball jump off his hand," Sparano said.

Sparano mentioned John Beck as an afterthought almost. "It'll be tough to get John work," the coach said. Said he's in a tough situation and that his first worry should be competing with Henne. I think Beck's first worry should be getting traded.

Sparano said the team will use recently acquired defensive lineman Tony McDaniel as a defensive end to start with, not a nose tackle. That can change later on. The nose tackle spot is manned by Jason Ferguson and Sparano included Joe Cohen and Paul Soliai as players who will get a chance to play there also.

Sparano made no secret of the fact the Dolphins are desperately looking for pass rush. Obviously that is an area that will be addressed in the draft, but Sparano said there are some players on the roster that intrigue him in that regard. They are Charlie Anderson, Derek Cameron Wake, Matt Roth and Erik Walden.

Sparano called newly acquired cornerback Eric Green a guy, "with something to prove." Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Sparano said he looks for Ronnie Brown to "take the next step in his progression," now that he's 17 months removed from his knee surgery and has a healthy season to his credit.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/03/news-and-nuggets-breakfast-with-tony-sparano.html

Listening to what Sparano said, you can clearly tell most pressing need is a pass rusher and will do everything to aquire one in this draft. I also like what I read about Eric Green, it tells you the guy will not be handed anything and Miami will draft a Corner or Two. The fact he mentions Joe Cohen ahead of Paul Soliai should worry Soliai fans. I still think Miami drafts a DT.

The ball jumps off Becks hands too...I hope he's not referring to it the same as Becks 7 fumbles though.

Sounds good. I also can't wait to see what Ricky has after a full season under his belt and going into his second straight offseason. If he works as hard as reported last year R@R should be at the best we've ever seen them. I just hope the injury bug don't hit us again on the o-line this year like it did last year though.

Wow a backup qb getting a lot of reps in preseason? Now that is why he makes the big bucks!

I love the way Coach Sparano tells it like it is. No beating around the bush and dodging questions like Saban.:up:

I really like the McDaniels trade. I just posted in another thread about how we essentially traded away a 7th for McDaniels, then we traded Satele for a 6th and a swap of 4th rounders, which moved us up 18 spots in the 4th. Not too shabby on Ireland's part. As for Green, I think that once he gets into the offseason conditioning program, he will be a lot less proned to injuries. We still need to draft another corner to make sure we have some good competition back there and we have the best guy on the field.

Green is not he would need to worry about with injuries. I think Grove is more of a worry.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/03/news-and-nuggets-breakfast-with-tony-sparano.html

Listening to what Sparano said, you can clearly tell most pressing need is a pass rusher and will do everything to aquire one in this draft. I also like what I read about Eric Green, it tells you the guy will not be handed anything and Miami will draft a Corner or Two. The fact he mentions Joe Cohen ahead of Paul Soliai should worry Soliai fans. I still think Miami drafts a DT.

Interestingly there's that name again..
Sparano made no secret of the fact the Dolphins are desperately looking for pass rush. Obviously that is an area that will be addressed in the draft, but Sparano said there are some players on the roster that intrigue him in that regard. They are Charlie Anderson, Derek Cameron Wake, Matt Roth and Erik Walden.

London just talked about watching out for this guy in his interview, and now Tony's calling his name out as a person that intrigues him in terms of pass rush... I don't think this guy got on the field other that ST's last year..correct me if I'm wrong.. Miami's practice sessions must be amazing..but I'm not sure why those players aren't getting a chance to do it on the field for real..

Erik Walden was one hell of a Special teamer last year. The moment the kid came in he immediately contribue on Special Teams and all of a sudden we became better. I think that at 6'2 and 237 he has the height and weight this team likes and had 15 tackles on Special Teams.

TS is doing what he's been told to do at the QB position. No chance in hell the previous staff's players willl be given a chace to start over the new staff's players. Look how the Ernest Wilford situation worked out. Not exactly the desired results. This new staff is systematically removing any and all traces of the previous regime. I'm fine with that, but it doesn't suggest for one second the players being released or traded have no talent. This new staff has there own prefernces as is the case 99% of the time when teams are overhauled this nothing new.

TS imo has the intangibles to be a very successful HC, but he's still learning and much of what he says is what he's been told he can/can't say. I seriuosly doubt TS spends his with the QB 's and knows first hand who is trully the fit for the future of this team he's simply passing along the information he's been given. This in no way takes away from TS involvment in what thi team is doing and where it's going, it's simply a case of learning on the fly.

IMO if TS were the one making the critical decision on this team, Miami would have been a serious destination for TO like it or not, but when asked BP said that TO would be a Dolphin this year and we all know BP won't be with the Dolphins next year, put 2 and 2 together and we all know who's making the decsions on this team. Again i'm fine with that, i'm simply pointing that TS may be speaking, but he's not the one making the decsions, if he were things be a little different.

Back
Top Bottom