Lovie Smith Fired | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lovie Smith Fired

I'm not a big fan of Lovey Smith after his two yrs in Tampa, I felt his defense was disappointing considering thats his forte....with that being said, he is a solid coach that will need time to build a winner, I'm not sure any Org will give him the 5 rs he will need to produce a championship......if we hire him we will have to be patient, I would be a lot happier if we hired him and a DC who didn't run the cover two, I think the cover two has run its course in the league and should only be used in situations not as a base defense.....

I live in Chicago so I witnessed Lovie's rise and fall. His trademark "D" went out of style about a decade ago. The league caught up and he refused to change with the times. He is a players coach and they all stand behind him but he is not a good coach. I'll be surprised if he ever gets another head coaching job.

Chris Mortensen reports that there were actually “whispers” that the Buccaneers were considering firing HC Lovie Smith after his first year, due to ownership being upset by the team’s performance in light of liberal spending in free agency.

Mortensen reiterates that OC Dirk Koetter is a guy to watch for the Bucs’ job, and cites his work with QBs such as David Garrard, Matt Ryan and Jameis Winston as the main reason why he’s an attractive option.

Sources tell Mortensen that Koetter is actually “upset” with the Bucs decision to fire Smith.
While Mortensen believes it’s possible the Bucs could hire someone outside of the organization, Koetter still appears to be top candidate.

According to Mortensen, Chip Kelly is not expected to be a strong candidate for the Buccaneers, even though they previously expressed interest in him.

I'm so amused when people watch too much TV and act like they know more than others opposed to the people are really working in football. Thanks though. Needed a good laugh today.

Working in a profession doesn't mean you actually know more than anyone. How many people do you work with on a professional basis that are complete morons? The NFL is FULL of nepotism and cronyism...it isn't what you know, but who you know and who you are related to. I guarantee half this board knows more about football than Ross, Tannenbaum, or Ireland, as examples, will ever know. So, get over the "you don't know because you aren't paid for it" crap...

If that was Lou whats his name "doing a pretty good job" then I would hate to see what a terrible job by him would look like. This century only the 2007 defense was worse than the 2015 version.

And Lovie's defense is ranked exactly the same as Tampa Bay's offense. Both ranked 18th. In 2014 TB's defense was ranked 18th as well. Their offense was ranked 32nd though so not sure why they are so hell bent on keeping their offensive coordinator on staff. If he were a Dolphin with those performances he'd be tarred and feathered by now.

Wow, somebody's getting upset.

Greg Schiano's 2013 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Points allowed: 21st. First Downs allowed: 15th. Defensive SRS: +0.3 against Strength of Schedule +3.6

Lovie Smith's 2014 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Points allowed: 25th. First Downs allowed: 30th. Defensive SRS: -3.3 against Strength of Schedule -1.5.

Lovie Smith's 2015 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Points allowed: 26th. First Downs allowed: 26th. Defensive SRS: -4.2 against Strength of Schedule -3.0.

Their defense got worse two years in a row under Lovie, even after having a last place schedule with four games scheduled against the trainwreck AFC South this season. That was with Lovie's hand-picked coaches (including his sons) and Lovie's hand-picked defensive players. Lovie Smith got fired because his number one qualification is that he used to run a good defense, and he's run a terrible defense in Tampa.

I'm a computer warrior? This is a computer war, buddy. It's an internet message board. Come armed with some facts before you start melting down in here.

You hit it exactly on the head about Lovie and the regression that his defense has died. The people in this thread who are bashing you without any stats or any information to back them up are just ignorant. They obviously haven't watched any Bucs games the last two years and are just spewing garbage.

I saw someone say that Lovie had the 10th BEST defense in the league.. hahahaha
Yes, Lovie's team gave up the 10th fewest yards in 2015 but that is not the full story. His defense let every average joe QB have a career game against his team and also allowed an otherworldly 70% completion rate to opposing QBs. If Tanny got the chance to play against Lovie's Bucs D, it would literally have been his best game of his career. THE BEST!

Last week, the Redskins gave out this towel during their playoff game because Lovie Smith's Defense was up 24-0 and KIRK COUSINS brought the Redskins back to win that game. When Cousins walked into the stadium he screamed at the camera guy "You like that!".

Lidutn7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom