Making a case for Patrick Surtain II | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Making a case for Patrick Surtain II

I don't expect one at #6, but if Miami were to move back further I wouldn't **** it out. I do think CB is a higher priority in Flo and Grier's mind than in the fans and "experts." This defense is generated with corners that can play man and right now Howard and Jones do that. However, the fact that Howard has only played more than 12 games in a season in his 5 year career shouldn't be ignored. Dolphins can also get out of his contract after this season.

They can get out from under Jones after the 2022 season. CB is not usually a position you step into right away and do well. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if one of those first 4 picks for Miami is a CB.
Spot on..

We've seen early in his head coaching career how much Flores values corners. Jones was the big free agent acquisition a year ago and Miami still drafted Iggy in round one.

I don't expect Surtain at #6, but wouldn't be shocked. I think he compares favorably with the top corners from the past five drafts.

That pick would likely signal a trade of Howard, but would be fun to see a secondary of Howard, Surtain and Byron Jones even of it was just one year.

All that going from #3 to #12 to #6 proves is that we arent infatuated with just one player in the draft..but want to have a choice of 2-3 that we probably rate pretty equally..someone like:

Pitts/Chase/Smith/Waddle/Sewell..any of those are pretty good picks @ #6 and should have most if not all there at #6..

Agreed! 3 to 4 of those players will be available at 6. If Pitts and Chase are off, I would pick Sewell.

I see no possibility of Surtain being drafted.

We can't get out of Byron's deal.
We don't want to get out of X's deal.
We are grooming a strictly boundary press corner in Igbinogene. We just don't need another high pick boundary guy.

A slot guy who could also maybe be looked at as a FS upgrade to McCain (assuming they see Brandon Jones as more a SS)? Someone who over time could solidify one of those spots or even shift to boundary duty?

Ok, now there's something to talk about. But Surtain isn't that guy. Horn is that guy but I'd be amazed if the FO were thinking in those terms at 6.

I think if there's a first round DB in question, it's Horn or Moehrig. But I'd put a lower probability on it.

I see no possibility of Surtain being drafted.

We can't get out of Byron's deal.
We don't want to get out of X's deal.
We are grooming a strictly boundary press corner in Igbinogene. We just don't need another high pick boundary guy.

A slot guy who could also maybe be looked at as a FS upgrade to McCain (assuming they see Brandon Jones as more a SS)? Someone who over time could solidify one of those spots or even shift to boundary duty?

Ok, now there's something to talk about. But Surtain isn't that guy. Horn is that guy but I'd be amazed if the FO were thinking in those terms at 6.

I think if there's a first round DB in question, it's Horn or Moehrig. But I'd put a lower probability on it.
After 2022 you can get out of Byron's deal pretty easily, 4.2M in dead cap after that season. You can move on from Howard's contract after this season 2.8 in dead cap. So CB/DB isn't outlandish as you might expect this draft, with that said I doubt it's at 6th.

After 2022 you can get out of Byron's deal pretty easily, 4.2M in dead cap after that season. You can move on from Howard's contract after this season 2.8 in dead cap. So CB/DB isn't outlandish as you might expect this draft, with that said I doubt it's at 6th.
After 2022 is 2023. That's 2 seasons away. Imo, he's gone at that point but it still a lot of games away.

They would be nuts to move on from X.

They have their development boundary cb already in Igbo, who should be ready by 2023 to start at a high level.

They don't look set at nickelback, which is on-field a lot of the time and/or at safety where they could do with someone better able to take away the underneath.

Boyer also likes massively switching up alignments and formations, within games and between games, so positional/role flexibility is a huge plus.

After 2022 is 2023. That's 2 seasons away. Imo, he's gone at that point but it still a lot of games away.

They would be nuts to move on from X.

They have their development boundary cb already in Igbo, who should be ready by 2023 to start at a high level.

They don't look set at nickelback, which is on-field a lot of the time and/or at safety where they could do with someone better able to take away the underneath.

Boyer also likes massively switching up alignments and formations, within games and between games, so positional/role flexibility is a huge plus.
No man you can cut X after this year. You can cut Jones after 2022. Assuming you wanted to but yes I guess 2022 and 2023, X would need to play a year and Jones two but you have to remember those two are one/two in terms of contracts and assuming you have sign Tua long term and all these new draft picks, something has to give.

Last edited:
It makes no sense to me to draft a corner at 6, even if you think we can move on from Howard and/or Jones after a couple of seasons. I know Flo loves corners and maybe he'll draft one at 50 but at 6 it has to be offense. There's just no two ways about it.

It makes no sense to me to draft a corner at 6, even if you think we can move on from Howard and/or Jones after a couple of seasons. I know Flo loves corners and maybe he'll draft one at 50 but at 6 it has to be offense. There's just no two ways about it.
I don't believe they draft one at #6, but if they move from #6 I wouldn't be shocked. Depends on who is there but #18 might be a spot for one. It takes a CB a year or two to develop. There are very few that come into the league right away and are an effective starter.

Howard had a great year last year and played the whole season, but his history shows he is likely to miss games. So say he misses several games this year, I would think Miami would want out of that contract. I believe Flo would like to keep that CB cupboard full so when it's time for one to step in they are ready.

I don't believe they draft one at #6, but if they move from #6 I wouldn't be shocked. Depends on who is there but #18 might be a spot for one. It takes a CB a year or two to develop. There are very few that come into the league right away and are an effective starter.

Howard had a great year last year and played the whole season, but his history shows he is likely to miss games. So say he misses several games this year, I would think Miami would want out of that contract. I believe Flo would like to keep that CB cupboard full so when it's time for one to step in they are ready.
Nothing this team does on draft day would shock me and like I said, I know they like DB's a lot. I can't see it at 6 and I don't believe we'll move down from 6. Anything is possible at 18.....would I draft a corner there? No but it's not my decision to make so.

Dude. We've been at work!!!!!!!!!

What do you call going from 4-12 to 9-7?
Trading Howard would go a long way to 4-12...especially this past season. A winning season isn't guaranteed.

We have enough draft picks. Time to craft a team. That is ready to.compete right now.

I was surprised when we moved up a bit to take Xavien Howard in the 2nd round.... worked out pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom